Decorah "Posten"

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2009
      The Decorah Newsapaper that was printed here was called the "Posten"
      The genealogical society has them on microfilm for their use in
      finding and locating lost relatives. I will try to get you an e
      mail address. They are located in the Decorah Public Library.

      The "Posten" was the main Norwegian Language Newspaper and the
      "personals" were how people communicated when they got to this country.

      That is why the king still comes here to visit at the museum, and many
      come from all over the country to hear him speak.
      The king still has a 1956 Cadallac that his father bought new here,
      that is stored for parades, which happen every few years in town.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2009
        King Olaf's car was not allowed to be used in the last parade here, as the homeland security people found it did not have bullet proof glass!.

        The king and queen of Norway had to ride in a new limo furnished by the State Department. Bullet proof, but with no style, and it had windows that went down only three inches.   My youngest son who I had taken down to the main street to witness the event, was disappointed.  We only got to see the gloved fingers of a hand waving out the slit in the window opening.   Instead of slow, there is a minimum speed they have to keep to protect from snipers according to the rules.    If you blinked or looked away for a second you missed the royals.

        There are only two Swedes in town and one Dane !!!    We could have covered those three who were in the coffee shop with one of our own regular police.   All three  are pretty friendly and I thought the royals would have been safe,  but these days all is ruled by chaos written down in rule books, because of things that happened in the past.

        Do a google search for the Decorah Posten and also the cartoon Ole and Sven, that was a feature for many decades in that newspaper.  The next town has a statue of Ole and Sven, the cartoon characters in their town square as the illustrator was from that town and is also a Norwegian Community just across the state line in Minnesota.  they have a former townsman who casts brass who did the statues as a favor.    The cartoons are the old politically incorrect jokes that were the standard of the day.  Poking fun at one's ethnicity was OK then.

        I here the same jokes reused about all peoples these days in some form or other.

        Ted Sojka
        On Apr 28, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Frode Th. Omdahl wrote:

        This is interesting. In particular about the king's car.I lika that!

        Frode
        Frode Th. Omdahl
        Andrénbakken 10 A
        N-1392 Vettre