Re: ponies

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2009
      My neighbor has been sending over buildings in containers to the museum near Lillehammer.  They are all made by second generation people who moved here.  My son worked as a student taking down the church that was sent there.

      I know the Pony title is a misnomer.   We have a genealogical society here in Decorah, Iowa.  Most of their requests have to do with tracing Norwegian ancestors in this country.
      The building they are in has been expanded several times and now includes most everything in a city block and it is four stories tall on three corners of that block.  You need to come visit during Nordic Fest and give a lecture.

      Ted
      On Apr 28, 2009, at 2:46 AM, Frode Th. Omdahl wrote:

      Ted,
      in Norway we have four "original" horse races, the Fjording being one of them. It has exixted in Norway for more than 2000 years. In the 1800s they were, for some obscure reason, mixed with "Dølahesten" - the "Valley Horse", one of the other races we have got. The Iceland Horse (or pony, as you call it) were originally the same horse race as the Fjording, when Norwegians settled Iceland in the 800s and 900s. I am quite convinced that the (Norse) people that travelled from Greenland to America (Vinland) to settle there, brought their horses. If it should turn out that there still are horses/ponies with Norse origin in USA, it would just confirm my theories.
      I have also looked into the Vesterheim web site, they are far much better now than when I lkooked into them some 10 years ago. I have worked with geneaology for many years, and I have several relatives in USA that I would like to learn more about. The museum itself and its collections looks a bit like the Open Air Museum (Norsk Folkemuseum) in Oslo. Have you ever been there? I will be working there this summer, you are welcome to visit us! (Take a look at www.norskfolkemuseum.no/en/).

      Frode

      Frode Th. Omdahl
      Andrénbakken 10 A
      N-1392 Vettre