Re: [ancient_waterways_society] WHERE IS A LIBRARY

  • Frode Th. Omdahl
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 12:49 AM
      Cal,
      I have got some 550 books within this topic, along with both Norwegian and American history. You're welcome to visit me ; ).

      Frode

      Frode Th. Omdahl
      Andrénbakken 10 A
      N-1392 Vettre
      Telefon 66 90 19 41  /  97 09 32 17
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28 4:03 AM

        Frode:

        That souds like a world-class collection.  And, a world-class offer.

        Thank you good friend,

        Cal

        ======================
        From: Frode Th. Omdahl <f2@...>
        Subject: Re: [ancient_waterways_society] WHERE IS A LIBRARY
        To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 1:49 AM

        Cal,
        I have got some 550 books within this topic, along with both Norwegian and American history. You're welcome to visit me ; ).

        Frode

        ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *
        Frode Th. Omdahl
        Andrénbakken 10 A
        N-1392 Vettre
        Telefon 66 90 19 41  /  97 09 32 17
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28 6:33 AM
          Cal,
          That is a great question!

          Someone will have to put it on line, copies of books, old newspaper articles, and interviews.

          Forget buildings, at least to begin with.   You can serve the world with information wherever there is a computer.

          I belong to the Friends of the Mounds.   There is a volunteer researcher who does a wonderful job
          looking up old accounts of mound intrusions (excavations if your in the science field), from the previous centuries.

          The newspapers were the internet of the day, and she can access on line pretty much any year and day through computerized
          microfilm collections.

          I am sure there is a better model that someone who is versed in the tech world of computers who could even
          have all this on one diffusionist website.   There is a museum in Mankato Minnesota that is a virtual museum on line.

          The main page is laid out like the building they want to have some day.  Click on a room, let say, on Pre Columbian and you have
          access to slides, stories, artifacts.  I have used that with young students to search for material for their school work.

          Mankato is where the Sioux War of 1862 ended.  With the hanging of some of the guilty, and some of the other natives.
          Lincoln pardoned quite a few, put the public wanted revenge or justice.  Mind you the Sioux were starving, the war out East
          was delaying their food and money from getting to them, and they were provoked by a trader in charge of gouging them on
          the prices for food he was advancing them, knowing he would get paid double when the army delivered the coins.

          A couple of brothers named Mayo, had the cadavers of those executed put on ice and straw and delivered to their hospital
          for study.  What they learned was of course the foundation of the clinic that later moved to Rochester, MN.

          Good, from bad?   Depends on what end of the rope you were on.

          Ted
          PS Vince Barrows information he sent regarding the tablets found in mounds and cities that existed around mounds is an excellent resource for others.
          Who is going to start the collection for the diffusionist page to start the website?

          On Apr 27, 2009, at 9:46 PM, TRAYLOROO wrote:

          To All:

          Where is there one archive devoted to collecting all possible artifacts and publications to do with diffusion. I know there are many artifacts and publications ... but a bit here and bit there.

          Cal Traylor

           ====== After another week in the archives, again I remind you when writing a date to use all four numerals for the year, and letters for the months.  Using like 7 8 22 looses its true meaning within weeks or months.

        • David Goudsward
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29 6:39 AM
            Let also not forget that NEARA has their collection housed at NHTI in Concord, NH. The online catalog can be accessed from http://www.nhti.edu I do not know if there is a way to pull up a list of just the NEARA holdings in the system.