3591Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re Spencer Lone Tree

  • Ryan Howell
    Nov 16, 2013
      Thanks Ted. No, I have never made it to Atkinson yet, although by now I should have. Certainly passed by it quite a bit. I have visited or worked on most of the other Upper Midwest forts of that era (Crawford, Winnebago, Madison, Snelling etc.). I will check out the LoneTree series. Thanks for the recommendation.

      RJH

      On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:46 PM, Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...> wrote:

      They are a children's series called the Night Sun.  " Night Sun and the Two Fires", "Night Sun and the Seven Arrows", and your librarian should be able to find them.  His parents were from each of the Decorah and Winneshiek bands.  I would think they have them in Black River Falls at the tribal headquarters or in a town book store.

      If you have any community speaker organization where you are located, he also is good speaker, and would have stories about the area to share.

      There were several biographies of Black Hawk that told part of the story an the History of Winneshiek County tells a bit.  The definitive work is "Twilight of Empire", by Eckhardt. (?)

      Ted

      PS Have you ever been to Fort Atkinson Iowa to see the fort?   Several digs were done by the state archeologist at the site to determine things about how the soldiers lived there.  Privies are the cache pits of that area for artifacts.

      On Nov 16, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Ryan Howell wrote:

      Do you have a title for the Lone Tree books? Sounds like something I would enjoy.

      Thanks,

      Ryan

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic