3471Ted Sojka, Bill Frazier, Ancient Fish Traps

    Jun 26, 2013
      Ted,

      I am glad you posted the note from Bill Frazier, and, according to this beautiful article from People of One Fire, Bill is "considered by archaelogists and historians to be the nation's leading expert of the fish traps of the Eastern United States".

      I personally have become interested in ancient fish traps. In fact, soon after you joined, Bill, I met with former AWS member and Aztalan webmaster, Steve Steigerwald at the Aztalan Mounds (east of Madison, WI).  On the wall of the museum was a photo of very old fish weir, which I'd not have recognized had you not joined our group.

      Preservation of these rare remaining ancient fish traps is crucial, as you have strongly advocated.   I believe many here will appreciate the information and research within this excellent article, "Everything You Wanted to Know About Native American Fish Traps, But Didn't Know Whom to Ask".

      We at AWS know who to ask.  Thank you, Bill...please keep posting.  And Ted...for again sharing your magnificent drawings.

      I hope you don't mind my adding "Ancient Fish Traps" to the subject heading for easier retrieval into the AWS archives.

      Susan English, Central Wisconsin

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ted Sojka wrote:

      > Here is a site to examine.
      >
      > http://wakinguponturtleisland.blogspot.com/2011/09/stylized-drawing-of-fishweir.html
      >
      > Hope your health is getting better.
      >
      > ted
      > On Jul 17, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Bill Frazier wrote:
      >

      > > Ted,
      > > Always enjoy good art and especially that dealing with my
      > > favorite subject "riverine cultural resources". Tho an avocational,
      > > I have researched & documented over 150 fish trap dams or their
      > > cultural remains in the State of Georgia. The most of these came
      > > from various documents.
      > > The membership of the Ancient Waterways Society may not be
      > > interested in my interests.
      > > Bill Frazier

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic