3395Re: elephants

  • Jither
    Apr 6, 2013

      Regarding elephants in Old America, at least in these (Vermont) environs:  either an elephant’s or a mamoth’s bones were found, I believe in Victorian times, near the RR tracks, in Charlotte, Vermont (just east of Lake Champlain);  age unknown.  Also, there are some curious place names: Elephant Valley/Elephant Hill, in So. Royalton, Vt (home of the Beehive Domes-   another mystery).

      It’s extremely interesting that any (wild) elephant would be sighted by anyone in historic times in No. America!  Would the temperatures/environment allow for that?  I don’t think so.  Could it possibly be a remnant of a type of elephant that ‘evolved’ over here, to live in what must, for it, have been an impossible climate, and then died out?  If so, there must be remains that could be dated, all over the place!

      And then there are the remains of the tropical/palm forests that have been dug up in Alaska.  Hmmmm.

      -Jither (in Vermont, USA)

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic