      From: William Conner <conner6343@...>
      Subject: Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Iron smelting in Ohio
      To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, November 19, 2012, 3:57 PM

      William Smith:

      Yes I also wish you had a camera with you when you found that rock pile.   I have found  small amounts of bog ore at Spruce Hill in southwestern Ross County, Ohio. This is discussed in detail in my book "Iron Age America: Before Columbus."   Buy a copy online, read about Spruce Hill and its evidence of prehistoric furnaces.  Your ridge may well be another example of a site with one or more hilltop furnaces.   I also have an "Iron Age America" bog with some color photos.

      William Conner