      From: trayloroo <trayloroo@...>
      Subject: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Iron smelting in Ohio
      To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 4:13 PM

      Thank you. I am trying to recall one of the pioneers in this area, he built himself a little airplane. He wrote a book on this subject. I have heard him speak, in Salt Lake City it seems. We corresponded some. A prince of a fellow, personable, very generous.

      In his area of finds, he had evidence that suggested the normal river banks then were up ... near the stones. Today, there it is hard to imagine the riverbank near the holes. So; was the whole-maker after a hole ... and ignorant of the iron?

      The compass technology probably preceded the holes by 1,000 plus years. It is my understanding of the Vikings they used the stars for navigation, not the compass.

      Are these holes found in Europe? Or, are they unique to America?

      Thanks again,

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <wmsmithrock1@...> wrote:
      > Hi Cal
      > After I take the archaeoligest to the triangle stone hole in Ohio to assure all material in the hole is properly collected in order to date the potential material at the bottom of the hole I must keep it undercover. If you google (mooring stone holes) you can spend a day looking at peoples speculations. I have visited many and logged their location, depth, size, position on the stone and the stones effect on a compass which is an indicator of the amount of iron orr or magnatite in the base stone. The 20 I looked at in Minn. and N Dakota for the most part have had visitors who contaminacted the area in some cases by putting compound in the hole. I have only documented the ones I have researched, however I am aware of over 200 reported from the east coast, through the St. Larance or Hudson Bay all the way to Daluth Minn. and into the heart land near Minn. South Dakota and North Dakota. I am sure others are attempting to plot many of these holes and some day we will see the path very clear, however if no academic supports the speculated age nothing will come from the research.
      > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, C TRAYLOR <trayloroo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --
      > > That snake probably had a similar shock .... you were biggest
      > > rock-mover he ever saw ...
      > >
      > > We keep talking about these triangular holes; I have never seen one. Could
      > > we start including dimensions of a side, and deep?
      > >
      > > Also, I suggest the archives should have such information with a GPS
      > > ... If not the GPS on this blog, then hopefully GPS is in your private
      > > collection? Even a Google GPS is pretty good, you can do that from your
      > > desk at home.
      > >
      > > Cal

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic