RE: [ancient_indian_astrology] Re: days of the week

  • A. Ravindran Nair
    Message 1 of 60 , Oct 31, 2007

      Dear Finn,

      Sorry to intrude !!!

      The concept as I understand is:

      There are 24 horas (hrs) in a day.  The horas started from Sun as HE is the supreme energy giver and creator of universe, so to identify this day it has been named as Sun's day (Sunday). The 2nd hora on Sunday is of the 6th planet (i.e., from Sun the 6th planet in the order is Venus), and the next hora is again the 6th planet from it i.e., Mercury, the next 6th planet will be Moon etc.  In this order the last 24th hora on Sunday will be of Mercury and the day is deemed to be completed as the earth completed one 360 deg turn and the starting point again appeared in front of Sun signifying start of another day. Automatically the first hora of the next day will be of the 6th planet from the last hora of Mercury i.e., Moon and it is Moon's day (Monday). The subsequent order of Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, Friday and Saturday exactly clicks in this format.

      In this order on Saturday the last hora will be of Tuesday and automatically the hora of the 6th planet from it will be of Sun, hence it is Sun's day (Sunday) and again the next week start from Sunday and in order to avoid identity duplication, the concept of WEEK came into existence to differenciate between different repetition days.  So is the concept of Months, Year, yuga etc.  So from the 7th day instead of jumping to the 8th day it repeated from 1 again from Sun and the subsequent cycle followed.

      The names of the days earlier clearly represented the 7 planets different names in Sanskrit which got evolutionalised to todays modern names Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday etc.  The names of months Medam, Edavam etc. earlier seems to be a clear representation of the climatic condition prevailing then throughout the year.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards

      Ravi Nair

      To: ancient_indian_astrology@yahoogroups.com
      From: finn.wandahl@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:21:48 +0000
      Subject: [ancient_indian_astrology] Re: days of the week

      Dear Todd Caldecott,

      >>...anyway, i digress - if anyone does know the true origin and
      reckoning of the days of the week i would still be interested<<

      Well, we already know that there are 7 weekdays and that they are
      ruled by the 7 planets. What we still need to find out is why the week
      has 7 days and not say 5, 6 or 9 days.

      We may never know the truth about this, but we may still make our own
      deductions. So who knows?

      The Equinox/vernal- point moves at a mean rate of 50.25 seconds of arch
      per year. Earlier other values like 52 seconds per year were believed
      to be more correct.

      The tropical year is of 365.24 days. If we divide 365.24 by 52 we get
      7.02 which may perhaps explain why the week has 7 days.

      Very friendly,
      Finn Wandahl

    • Bejoy
      Message 60 of 60 , Jun 8, 2008

        Dear Finn,

        I just chanced thru this archive mail and thought of sharing the info which I had on the subject.

        I think the week days are so named as per the  descending order of the orbital period of the 7 celestial reference objects ( am not calling them planets ).

        Sani - Saturn - - 30 years - saturday

        Brihaspathi - Jupiter - 12 years - Thursday.

        Chovva   - Mars - 2 years apprx - Tuesday.

        Sun ( or earth ) - 1 year - Sunday.

        Shukra - Venus - 7 months apprx - Friday

        Buddha - Mercury - 3 months  apprx - Wednesday

        Thingal - Soma - Moon - 1 month apprx - Monday.

        As there are 24 hours in a day, pick Saturn as the one presiding over the first hour of the day ...

        so every 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd hour - Saturn presides ...and so Saturday

        23rd - Jupiter presides and 24th Mars presides -

        25th hour or the 1st hour of next day ... Sun must preside  as per the descending order of orbital period -- and so Sunday

        So every 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd hour - Sun presides ...

        23rd - Venus presides and 24th Mercury -

        and so 1st hour of next day ... Moon must preside - So Moon Day of Monday ..

        and the circuit goes on ....

        Why it has to be sequenced as per the descending order of orbital period, I have no clue.

        Regards

        Bejoy.

        www.keraladarsan.com

        You are right in your understanding of the concept of the 24 Horas and
        their relation to the weekdays by counting the 6th planet etc.

        Thank you for explaining it.

        :-)
        Finn

        --- In ancient_indian_ astrology@ yahoogroups. com, "A. Ravindran Nair"
        <rain13@...> wrote:

        > Dear Finn,
        >
        > Sorry to intrude !!!
        >
        > The concept as I understand is:
        >
        > There are 24 horas (hrs) in a day. The horas started from Sun as HE
        is the supreme energy giver and creator of universe, so to identify
        this day it has been named as Sun's day (Sunday). The 2nd hora on
        Sunday is of the 6th planet (i.e., from Sun the 6th planet in the
        order is Venus), and the next hora is again the 6th planet from it
        i.e., Mercury, the next 6th planet will be Moon etc. In this order
        the last 24th hora on Sunday will be of Mercury and the day is deemed
        to be completed as the earth completed one 360 deg turn and the
        starting point again appeared in front of Sun signifying start of
        another day. Automatically the first hora of the next day will be of
        the 6th planet from the last hora of Mercury i.e., Moon and it is
        Moon's day (Monday). The subsequent order of Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,
        Wednesday,Thursday, Friday and Saturday exactly clicks in this format.

        > In this order on Saturday the last hora will be of Tuesday and
        automatically the hora of the 6th planet from it will be of Sun, hence
        it is Sun's day (Sunday) and again the next week start from Sunday and
        in order to avoid identity duplication, the concept of WEEK came into
        existence to differenciate between different repetition days. So is
        the concept of Months, Year, yuga etc. So from the 7th day instead of
        jumping to the 8th day it repeated from 1 again from Sun and the
        subsequent cycle followed.

        > The names of the days earlier clearly represented the 7 planets
        different names in Sanskrit which got evolutionalised to todays modern
        names Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
        etc. The names of months Medam, Edavam etc. earlier seems to be a
        clear representation of the climatic condition prevailing then
        throughout the year.

        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Ravi Nair
        >

        > To: ancient_indian_ astrology@ ...: finn.wandahl@ ...: Wed, 31 Oct 2007
        20:21:48 +0000Subject: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: days of the week