Re: Astroresearch - how old is jyotisha?

  • Sre_eram
    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 1, 2006
      Dear Suryaji

      I am not sure if anyone has the LIST of "Kerala" shastras ( in your
      words) complete or incomplete list. But for your inquisitiveness,
      let me clarify that most of the revival of "today's" astrology is
      from South India - i.e. primarily Kerala & neighbouring states

      Some of Astrology shastras which have Kerala base - Prasna Marga,
      Krishneeya. There may be many other scriptures, but we are not
      aware of.......you need to wait for some more time, till I complete
      my own study on it & compile them in one place.

      I hope you heard or read about Sri C.S. Patel who has given the
      exhaustive list of scriptures complete it availability in various
      libraries in India......in the bibliography of his books....kindly
      refer to the first few editions....later the publishers have changed
      the format of providing the bibliography........

      with regards,
      sreeram srinivas
    • surya ianala
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 23, 2006
        Om Sri gurave Namah!
        Dear Madhu jee, Namaskar!
        Few definations: Jyotisha in hindi and english usage is jyotish
        The sanskrit term " Jyotish" is derived from the root meaning "light" and isha" meaning "god", thus it means science of light-the light within each of us that is a microcosm of light of the universe
        Jyotish is a sanskrit word meaning inner light, it is the light of life, knowledge and god influencing all beings throughout time.
        Jyotish is the Sanskrit name for Vedic astrology, meaning "science of light".
        Jyotish means Jyot- Ish. Jyot means Light & Ish means God, so we can say Light of god.

        The Sanskrit word derives from jyótis -
         "Ja"+"Ya"+"O"+"T"+"ish" to get the root meaning as "water or birth"+"in addition to" + "earth" and "stars" + "knowledgeable" equating as one who is knowledgeable, or enlightened with knowledge, of birth, fate, and relationship to water, earth and stars) or which means "light, brightness", but in the plural also "the heavenly bodies, planets and stars".

        Jyotish is : Kaal vidhana shastras - a circle.:-)

        Thanks! for your comments

        Om Namah Shivai!

        SPI

        Madhu Nair <balagurusurya@...> wrote:
        Surya Ianala,
        I feel you haven't  so far correctly understood the word "Jyotish" . The  apt word for Jyotish is Kaal Vidhana Shastra, or the science of Time. Hence , the Keralite Astrologers of yesteryears use to draw a circle to represent zodiac  in palmyra writings (parachments) of  their Horoscope writings. A circle is best represented   to depict Time since it has no beginning , no end. Now pls ponder whether  it is  humanly possible to find the beginning of the flux that is called Time.

         If it is possible for you, then you have actually discovered the age of Jyotish(That which spread Jyoti or  light  into the events of Past, Present &Future , embedded in the womb of Time)
        The Best
        Vyasaji

        surya ianala <suri_allam@yahoo. ca> wrote:
        Om Sri gurave Namah!
        Dear Members, Namaskar!
        how old is jyotish Vidya? in earth years.
        As per geologists, earth was formed around 4.57 billion years ago.
        Thanks!
        Om Namah Shivai!
        SPI

        sree nadh <sreesog@yahoo. com> wrote:
        Dear surya ji,
        > so you were soiling diapers when I was in school, :-)
         Ha...Ha... Why should I be worried about that?! That means it is you who should (if feels necessary) worry about that. :)) But it reality that also does not seem to be necessary. Be proud of what we are, enjoy the split seconds that we get here on earth. :)
        Love,
        Sreenadh
        surya ianala <suri_allam@yahoo. ca> wrote:
        Om Sri gurave Namah!
        Dear Sreenadh jee,
        It is up to you to understand! so you were soiling diapers when I was in school, :-)  it is always OK to take help from elders!
        Om Namah Shivai!
        SPI

        sree nadh <sreesog@yahoo. com> wrote:
        Dear Surya ji,
        > I would not like you to be with them, they all are dead,
          Ha..Ha.. You and me too also will. :)
        > I would like you to live a long life and it is very important to have a person with
        > your attitude for good results, particularly, in research, I always like failure first,
        > because it opens up multiple avenues, so thanks for your comments.
         Wish you a very long life - Ayushman bhav! Failures opens up multiple avenues - rightly said. Hi dear,  you are really into positive spirits! :) All the best. By the way, Thanks. ;)
        > If possible please give me your  birth details, may be I can help you:-)
         My DOB is 18-11-1971 ; 2.52 AM Trivandrum , Kerala. But please don't try to help me, and please avoid making coments about the horoscope. :)
        > Thanks! Fore father!
        > Om Namah Shivai!
          Ha...Ha..Sounds good. :) "Thanks! Fore father!" You are not calling me "Monkey" I hope. ;) Ha.. Ha..
        Nama Sivaya!
        Love,
        Sreenadh

        surya ianala <suri_allam@yahoo. ca> wrote:
        Om Sri gurave Namah!
        Dear Sreenadh jee, Namaskar!
        I would not like you to be with them, they all are dead, I would like you to live a long life and it is very important to have a person with your attitude for good results, particularly, in research, I always like failure first, because it opens up multiple avenues, so thanks for your comments.
        If possible please give me your  birth details, may be I can help you:-)
        Thanks! Fore father!
        Om Namah Shivai!
        SPI
        sree nadh <sreesog@yahoo. com> wrote:
        Dear Surya ji,
        > See! now you are telling me stories like my fore fathers, :-)
         That sounds good...! :) I am praised.. :) I would love to be with them, because one should know that his at least some of his fore fathers were really knowledgeable persons. :) In India we are proud of our fore fathers and as you know the whole of Vedic knowledge and astrology and many more subjects given to us by those gifted scholars - the great Rishis. :) We love, respect and value our fore fathers and event the stories they told. Just see Mahabharata, Ramayana or the Puranas. Either the stories had some special hidden knowledge or some lessens to taught about human behavior and worldly situations. They were really wise, and the stories really good. Actually in astrology we are trying to understand the wise stories told to us by our fore fathers. They hide most of the knowledge in stories, because they know that most there ancestors will be fools who will not value their knowledge and loss it in the way. So they encoded it metaphorically in stories so that at least someone of the posterity will understand its value and decipher it. May be you too is part of that decoding process - the rhythm continues... as always...... .. :)
        Love,
        Sreenadh
        surya ianala <suri_allam@yahoo. ca> wrote:
        Om Sri gurave Namah!
        Dear Srenadh Jee, Namaskar!
        There you go again!, personal attacks will not do any good to you, me or jyotish or the poor question, It is a question which needs to be addressed, not my personal attributes, if you keep your traits in check, mine will automatically vanish.
        All you have to do is answer a question if possible for you, or do not attempt it, it is not necessary that you have to attempt it, if you think it is a foolish question leave it, do not write all that $#$$#%$^%^.
        remember ego, sarcasm, and lesson your words! :-) and not mine.
        See! now you are telling me stories like my fore fathers, :-)
        It is your prerogative to keep the tone of the email with in respectable limits,
        hope you undestand.
        question remains? :-)
        Om Namah Shivai!
        SPI

        sree nadh <sreesog@yahoo. com> wrote:
        Dear Surya ji,
        > history of jyotish; almost in any document Starts
        > with, it is said that god delivered it to four
        > rishis ............ ......... .., or it is said that
        > brighu son of brahma, got it from
        > brahma...... .......,
        The above statements essentially reflect you lack of
        direct interaction with the original books. :)
        1) As per Skanda Hora (Arsha school of astrology)
        Skanda taught this knowledge to Brahma, and this first
        book of astrology, which is also known as Jyothishmati
        Upanishad, is written by Lord Brahma himself. Brahama
        taught Daksha Prajapati and the book written by him is
        known as Brihath Prajapatyam. Daksha taught Saptarshis
        (7 sages) and they others. Thus the story given in
        Sounaka in Sounaka hora by Rishi Sounaka goes...
        2) As per Garga Hora (Jain school of astrology),
        Brahma taught Garga Rishi, and he in tern taught all
        other Saptarshis (7 Sages). Those Rishis also wrote
        books to preserve this knowledge and thus knowledge
        spread. This is the story as per Garga Hora.
        3) As per Yavana Hora (Yavana school of astrology),
        Brahma taught Sage Yavaneswara and he in tern taught
        all others. This is the story as per Yavaneswara hora.
        Astrology is Vedanga - beause it is used for fixing
        auspicious muhoortha for Yajnja. For fixing of
        Muhoortha (Proper time), astronomy and ephemeris part
        of astrology is necessory, and the concept of Muhurta
        becomes relevant only when we accept the importance of
        Predictive astrology. This indicate that whole of
        astrology (both mathametical and predictive parts of
        astrology) is Vedanga. Both these parts of astrology
        is well supported by Vedic culture, and in Vedas we
        could find the existence of Astrology existing in that
        period itself. Nirayana astrology is related to
        Tantiric culture and the breath structure of time.
        21600 min in the zodiac circle and 21600 breaths makes
        a human day! This indicate that Nirayana system of
        astrology is more related to Sindhu-Sarswaty Tantiric
        culture than to Vedic culture which promoted Sayana
        system of astrology.
        This essentially indicate that astrology could even
        be older than vedas even though it is also a Vedanga!
        or rather Sayana Astrology is Vedanga and Nirayana
        astrology could be older than Vedas and it is part of
        Non-Vedic culture.
        My question is from where you got Bhrigu as the first
        acharya of astrology?! Why you are confusion the use
        'Vedanga' and guru-sishya parampara told in
        astrology?! These things essentially point to the fact
        that you neither have direct interaction with extracts
        from these books nor have a systematic method in
        approaching such issues.
        "if you see dating of vedas, it is dated around 1500
        BC etc, some have dated around 3900 BC, and now some
        are saying it is around 7500 BC etc"
        This is what we were telling to you, and you again
        and again asks the same fooling question, 'how old is
        Jyothisha?' as if we could give you the birth chart
        and life details of astrology itself!! :-):)
        But the questions is good - in the sense that it
        will help us in disusing the proofs available in some
        of the ancient texts, which could help us in fixing
        the epochs of at least some original references.
        But are you asking the question -
        1) How old is Jyothisha? OR
        2) Are you seeking the list of books originated in
        Kerala?

        You seemed to sink in the projected ego of yourself
        at times. But ok, we will try our best (even though it
        is not our duty, or something to which we are
        committed to) to help by providing at least some
        references to the 'list of books originated in Kerala'
        and 'Some passing thoughts on the history of
        astrology'. As you could see, as far as the foolish
        question 'How old is Jyotisha?' is concerned, we can't
        help much. But rather you should toil, and try to get
        some thing out of the box, and in due course of time,
        your thoughts related to it may become balanced and
        realistic or hope that the akashik records related to
        it will become revealed to you. :)
        Love,
        Sreenadh

        Do You Yahoo!?