Northern Cup Championship

  • will corbridge
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
      Hey 'ballerz,

      I've had this information for awhile but have been sitting on it.  As some of you may know, there is a broomball tournament of sorts going on in Canada in November. I'm including with this email the info that Brandon Grochow in Homer sent to me back in August.

      It looks from this like the "cutoff" for registration is October 1, so yeah, tomorrow.  Maybe if we sweet-talk the guy he'll let us in.  Probably not, though. If we do in fact miss the deadline it's because I shit the bed on this one, and for that I apologize.

      -Will

      8/14/09:>>>>>>>>>>>>>

                       BOB PARKS / NORTHERN BROOMBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

       Hello All,

                     I am pleased to announce the first broomball tournament championship north of 60.  The Yukon Broomball has invited Alaska, N.W.T, Northern B.C, and Nunavut to participant in this tournament.  Alaska and N.W.T have confirmed they are coming.  This is a great way for Y.B.A to promote the game of broomball throughout Whitehorse and the Yukon. With the support of the players and volunteers, I believe we can all make this a huge success. This tournament is based on a fun platform to help promote the game of broomball and to get new players to come out and try it for first time.  The focus is to get more player interest in this fun winter sport. We will be posting updates regarding the tournament on are website so please check it out. If you know of people who want to play please contact me or use the biz link on our website. This is a ten team maximum tournament. Out of town teams have to Oct 1 to register and then the remaining spots will be open to Yukon teams. The date of the tournament is November 13-15.  We will need lots of help from you, the players, so please help the league by volunteering for this event. We are very excited to host this event and hope you will help Y.B.A. promote it.  If you want more information you can contact me at 393-3268 or e-mail or the Y.B.A website. Cheers for now.

                                                                                    Y.B.A President,       Milford   Allain

      8/11/09:>>>>>>>>

      Hey Daniel,

                 Well it looks like N.W.T are in, they booked there rooms.We have arranged rooms at the gold rush inn. The person you want to phone or e-mail about rooms is Adam Gerle ,they are felixible with the rate so see how much you can get out of him. They are giving a good rate $89 and if extra people are in the room he is good with it. I hope you are having a great summer and fish sounds good in nov lol . If you need other info i am only a e-mail away. milford allain

       Adam phone cell 867-333-9886  ,work 867-668-4500ext 128

      July 2009:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

      Hello Daniel, all good question i will start by number 1 orange ball 2 any broomball stick (no modification to the stick)3 yes 4 center line is offside 5 house rule two women on ice and guy goalie,we might change this rule ,i will keep you informed.6  goalie blocker ,chest protector , full face helmet, shin-pads , no ball glove.7 there is sliding ,if player sliding he must play the ball first and if the player takes out player plenalty.8 no fighting game misconduct! !!!!  9  certified yes ,cage is optionally ,i would recommend that all players hvae them but option.

       I will try and get more info to you but we will be having are  general meeting sept which may change some rules before the tournment ,i will send you a e-mail regarding and changes. Fort nelson and watson lake do not have broomball clubs. I have been tring to get ahold of Dawson Creek but with no luck so far. We may be able to let you practice at are rink if the weather is cold enought (it is outside) We will still have to discuss about the trophy ?  talk to you later
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
        Well everyone, this looks pretty exciting to me.
        I personally would be very interested in going. It sounds like the thing to do is see if we can get enough interest from people to even bother trying to register. Also, looking through the email correspondence, it appears we would need at least two girls on the ice at all times (though they may drop this rule).
        If we're short on people, I can rustle up some people I know from UAF that are experienced.
        Registration is CA$600.... but thats still $560 'merican. yikes, they're serious.

        So, a raise of hands?

        --- In anchoragebroomball@yahoogroups.com, will corbridge <corbridge.will@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > 5 house rule two women on ice and guy goalie,we might change this rule ,i
        > will keep you informed.6 goalie blocker ,chest protector , full face
        > helmet, shin-pads , no ball glove.7 there is sliding ,if player sliding he
        > must play the ball first and if the player takes out player plenalty.8 no
        > fighting game misconduct! !!!! 9 certified yes ,cage is optionally ,i
        > would recommend that all players hvae them but option.
        >
        > I will try and get more info to you but we will be having are general
        > meeting sept which may change some rules before the tournment ,i will send
        > you a e-mail regarding and changes. Fort nelson and watson lake do not have
        > broomball clubs. I have been tring to get ahold of Dawson Creek but with no
        > luck so far. We may be able to let you practice at are rink if the weather
        > is cold enought (it is outside) We will still have to discuss about the

      • Ben Neff
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
          Sounds cool, but on short notice don't know if I can coordinate work/travel/etc. today.
          I'm looking forward to some fun broomball in town though.

> [...]

          > 5 house rule two women on ice and guy goalie,we might change this rule ,i
          > will keep you informed.6 goalie blocker ,chest protector , full face
          > helmet, shin-pads , no ball glove.7 there is sliding ,if player sliding he
          > must play the ball first and if the player takes out player plenalty.8 no
          > fighting game misconduct! !!!! 9 certified yes ,cage is optionally ,i
          > would recommend that all players hvae them but option.
          >
          > I will try and get more info to you but we will be having are general
          > meeting sept which may change some rules before the tournment ,i will send
          > you a e-mail regarding and changes. Fort nelson and watson lake do not have
          > broomball clubs. I have been tring to get ahold of Dawson Creek but with no
          > luck so far. We may be able to let you practice at are rink if the weather
          > is cold enought (it is outside) We will still have to discuss about the

        • Jillian Pearce
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
            Thanks for the info Will.  Unfortunately my ankle is not ready for such serious play just yet.  I need to work into the broomball season slowly.  Maybe next year.  It would be a blast!  I also know two of the people who play for the Yukon News team, so thats a good contact point for getting things set up next year.
            -Jillian

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
              ANCHORAGE BROOMBALLERS!

              We have a team for WHITEHORSE! I just confirmed with Milford from Whitehorse that we are going to be playing in the great 2009 Northern Cup Championships November 13-15. Are roster is just about set as well. Justin Josh, Will, Max, Luke, Dick, Charles, and John will be holding down the fort for the guys and Bronwen, Christina, Justin's friend from Fairbanks, and Jillian (if we all guilt her into it...I love you Jillian) will be representing us for the girls. If anyone else wants to come and hangout, drink and party you are more than welcome but we will not be adding anyone else to the roster unless someone cannot go. I will be talking to Dan in Homer about possibly car pooling up there, they are bringing a school bus, or we can look into taking the RV again. We will probably have to leave late Thursday night or early friday morning to make it there on time. (Approximately 12 hour drive) They said they could schedul two games on Saturday so we do not have to try to play Friday after being in a bus for 12 hours...and probably be a little drunk. Alright, well that is as far as we are so far. Just wanted to let everyone to know so we can start getting in shape for whitehorse. ALright, lets kick some Canadian butt!

              Josh

            • Jillian Pearce
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
                Damn you All!!!!  You know I CANT miss out on this!  I may not be a big asset to the team, but consider me rostered!
                OH! This is gonna be great!!!!  :)

                Whoever got this all together, you rock!  (Although I really hate you right now!!)

                -Jillian

                BTW...how much is this gonna cost us all??  Should we start fund raising????

[...]

                • Tracy Trudell

[...]

                      • max kullberg
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                          Hey,
                            Not sure if this email will go through, since I think the last one got rejected.  BUT, I was thinking it would be fun to meet up at Lake Otis ice rink or another rink with big chain walls and practice hitting the ball really hard.  I think we out finessed Homer this year, but eventually got beat because that one dude could hit the ball so damn fast and high.  All our goals were swift passes or sweet lobs by Justin.  Not that we have to give that game up, but I know I'd benefit from some practice if its going to be a bashfest.  We could talk some strategy for fun.  Will, I like the idea of ice time.  Any info on the cost?

                          Max

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                            If u guys want to try and scrimmage a game, I can ask my guys if they're up for it. I am not making any promises but it sounds like that's what you need. John played one game with us, we play fast and hard.

                            I think the no lift rule has hindered your playing style a bit.

                            Let me know.

                            Trace

                            Sent from my iPhone