Shoes/Homer

  • will corbridge
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 10, 2009
      Hey all,

      So this Homer tournament is only a few weeks away at this point.  I don't know about all of you but getting spanked in our scrimmages last month left a bad taste in my mouth...  if we're going to the trouble of heading all the way down to Homer then I think I want to invest in some broomball shoes for the tournament.

      Here are a few options:

      Champion's Choice here in Anchorage has two models on sale, with limited sizes in each, priced at either $90 or $105 depending on the model.  They stated over the phone that they might be able to do a group buy, but would not go into specifics on how big our group would have to be or how big of a discount we could get.  I'm of the opinion that buying local is the right thing to do, plus if we go that route we'll actually be able to try on the shoes and make sure we get the right size.

      Broomball.com sells a wide range of models priced at $75 to $100 per pair before shipping (so about $90 and up with shipping if ordered individually).  Broomball.com also has six-packs of like-model shoes available at a discount of approximately 11%, so maybe $75 and up per pair including shipping if ordered via that method.

      Also, Justin said that he thinks he may have an extra pair of shoes, and I believe that Venek has a pair (and is no longer playing this year), so he might be sweet-talked into loaning that out.

      So, I have two questions for the group:

      -Who would be interested in buying a pair of shoes and heading down to Champions Choice for a group buy, maybe this weekend?
      -Who all is planning on coming to Homer at this point?

      Hugs and sloppy kisses,
      Will
    • Joshua Wilson
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 10, 2009

         I am in for Homer! I am still reluctant to buy broomball shoes because I am morally opposed to having to stoop to Homer's level to beat them. I really just like my sambas too much. See you guys tomorrow.

        Josh

        Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.
      • Jillian Pearce
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
          Hey everyone,
          I am still definitely going to Homer.   I think we need to start looking into the rental of an RV.  Who all would be willing to pitch in to pay for an RV?

          As for the shoes...
          Although it can be frustrating not having the broomball shoes and we may get circles ran around us, I think we do pretty good without them.  We did fine last year.  I do not have the desire to buy a $75 - $100 pair of shoes to use one day each year.  Also, I do not want to get into the habit of wearing them during our bi-weekly scrimmages here because that puts the less regular players(without shoes) at a serious disadvantage.  It is not fun to play consistently with a serious disadvantage and I think that may really hinder our efforts of getting new people involved.

          That's my two cents.  Anyone besides Will, Josh and I have opinions about this?

          See you all tonight!
          -Jillian

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
            Jen and I are in for Homer, but probably not the RV portion of the trip. She has family friends that way and we may be going sooner or leaving later or something, we're not sure yet...

            I have to admit I am curious to play with the broomball shoes.
            But I see Jillians points. And they are pretty pricey shoes.
            May main reservation though is that in my mind the shoes sort of represent a line between playing for recreation and being more serious about things. I really enjoyed the way playing last year felt, like a group of friends playing a game. This year has had moments that felt more serious and less fun because of it.

            Don't get me wrong, I want to be better, I saw the Homer team play in an organized way, with communication between them so they had passing lanes. That'd be great! I mean "serious" like this all really matters in the end and is something to get stressed about.

            If we all buy shoes I don't see myself not using them, and sure new people could choose to buy new shoes or not if they want, but that's not a very open invite to newcomers.

            For Jen's two cents, she's not to hot on buying shoes.

            On another topic, last year I think we did so well because of goaltending. Jonathan was solid, and relentless about grabbing the ball if it was around him. He did a great job, but I think we should address it with the Homer players. Are goalies allowed to:
            1. use a hand to pickup a ball?
            2. drop thier stick and smother a ball?
            I just want us all to know those rules ahead of time, because I think they had an impact last year.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
              I talked to Brandon yesterday, and he said that their ice condition at the rink would be alot like it was last year - fairly high-traction ice, because they won't zamboni it prior to our tournament.  Maybe that would help us out as opposed to the conditions we had during the Anchorage scrimmage with glare ice at the lake.

              I agree that it's pretty stupid to buy an expensive pair of shoes that will only be used once or twice a year.  I also agree that even if I do buy the shoes, I would not wear them other than at this tournament and maybe if we have Anchorage-based intercity scrimmages in coming seasons.  I guess mainly I'm just bent out of shape because I think that Homer beat us in Anchorage with poor sportsmanship (wearing the shoes after we told them not to) and I want to get back at them...  not the most noble of motivations, I know.  I assume that I'll be pretty pissed off if we go to all this trouble of going down there and just get beaten again because they run circles around us.  Then again I can also see that it would be satisfying if we can manage to beat them without the shoes like we did last year.

              A few people have remarked that they beat us with better passing and whatnot, but I still think that was simply a by-product of them getting behind our defense because of the shoes (particularly after turnovers).  Maybe some of the guys with more experience and knowledge of the broomball/hockey could help us out with some coaching.  I have a few scenarios in my mind where we might want to establish some procedures:

              Defensive procedures:
              -General defense - when should the defense back up while the offense advances the ball?  I would think that the right answer would be NEVER - if defending a ball-handler, I would think that it is always preferable to GO TO them rather than backpedaling and letting them bring the ball down the ice uncontested.  I am continually frustrated when I watch teammates do just that; is there something I don't know, a reason to allow the offense to advance and not challenge until the ball is on defensive ice?
              -2 of their offense vs. 1 defender and goalie.  I would think that the defender should GO TO the offenseman and attempt to force a pass, while the goalie leaves the net and either breaks up the pass or covers the 2nd defender
              -1 of their offense vs. goalie.  I think that the goalie should leave the net, go to the defender and force the shot; the rationale being that the shot is coming eventually anyway, so the farther back the goalie can make them shoot, the less of a chance they have of scoring.
              -2 of their offense vs. goalie.  I think that the goalie should stay in the net at this point and just attempt to block the shot.  However I could also see the merit of the goalie going for the ball and forcing the issue; the difficulty there is that it's hard to defend the shot and the pass simultaneously, and obviously if they complete a pass to the open man then he has a free shot on an open net.  A solution might be to go for the ball with the broom while attempting to break up the pass with a foot, or vice versa.

              Offense...  I'm pretty much lost as far as strategy.  Generally the only thing I would have to say there is don't pass it if there's nobody on you, unless you are passing to a W I D E    O P E N  teammate i.e. down the field behind the D.  I frequently watch uncovered ballhandlers pass the ball into defensive coverage and want to break my broom.

              Will all of that having been said, I will freely admit that I am not an expert (I have never played a team sport under a coach) and some or all of the above may indeed be misconceptions.  Maybe some of the more experienced people should help people like me out and offer some advice on how to deal with these situations.  If we can't beat Homer with traction, we'll have to do it with strategy.

              Slipping you a roofie and copping a feel,
              Will

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                OK I have a bit of knowledge and advice pertaining to some of the strategies that you've posted.
                General defense - backing up vs challenging - While it is very tempting to challenge the person coming down the ice toward you, DON'T! This seems counter-intuitive Will, I know. Instead, go the same speed as them running backwards towards your own net, but a few feet in front of them. The rational behind this is that you will be close enough to swat the ball and by running the same speed as them you will be with them for more than one swat. I love it when I see defenders standing still or coming towards me! They have one shot to get it away and the odds are with me.
                2 offense vs defender and goalie - My personal strategy on this is to go for the person with the ball and keep your stick so that it blocks a pass to the other offense. Basically, if you can block the pass and let the goalie deal with the shot, you're better off. This prevents a "one-timer" of a pass-shot-goal, which is ridiculously hard for a goalie to block. Homer seems to be good at this play too so force a shot that the goalie is ready for rather than leaving open the pass that the goalie isn't ready for. This is also really situational and if the person you're guarding is really good, you can force a pass to the weaker player.
                1 offense vs goalie - Coming out vs staying in - This really depends on how good the goalie is. Really good goalies shouldn't leave the net because they cover more of the net when they are in it. This is why you don't see hockey goalies come too far out. Most of us aren't hockey goalies and should probably come out a bit. I know that I often come out too far and leave the net open, vulnerable to a wide shot.
                2 offense vs goalie - Stay in goal, watch for the last second pass. Read the players and know their strategies, you'll pick it up after playing with them for a bit. Are they a ball-hog or a passer?

                Offensive strategies - This is hard to go over.... maybe we can just practice some strategies while we play tonight. The main thing I notice is that the defender should go up to at least half court, as an option to drop it back. Never hold it too long in this position in case you lose it. Work it around the outside, cut in, give and go. Always give the person with the ball at least two passing options. If they're not passing it, move and get open.

                Those are just my two cents, who knows how valid they are. All of the above is opinion and open to be rejected, its just based on my experiences.

                Oh and as far as shoes go, I'll bring my own just in case but I don't think that they're necessary. I played for several years without shoes against people that did. Homer beat us based on their organization; shoes helped a lot but that wasn't what killed us.

                Thanks!
                Justin

                --- In anchoragebroomball@yahoogroups.com, will corbridge <corbridge.will@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > organized way, with communication between them so they had passing lanes.
                > > That'd be great! I mean "serious" like this all really matters in the end
                > > and is something to get stressed about.
                > >
                > > If we all buy shoes I don't see myself not using them, and sure new people
                > > could choose to buy new shoes or not if they want, but that's not a very
                > > open invite to newcomers.
                > >
                > > For Jen's two cents, she's not to hot on buying shoes.
                > >
                > > On another topic, last year I think we did so well because of goaltending.
                > > Jonathan was solid, and relentless about grabbing the ball if it was around
                > > him. He did a great job, but I think we should address it with the Homer
                > > players. Are goalies allowed to:
                > > 1. use a hand to pickup a ball?
                > > 2. drop thier stick and smother a ball?
                > > I just want us all to know those rules ahead of time, because I think they

              • will corbridge
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                  Awesome Justin, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for your input!

                • will corbridge
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                    Another thing that I forgot to address is 2 defense vs. one offenseman.  It seems that too often I see either both defenders getting backed down the ice (common) or both defenders going to the offenseman (less common).  It seems to me that in this situation, one defender should challenge the offenseman ("man" defense) while the other defender stays back in case the challenging defender gets beaten (that defender would be in more of a "zone" defense).  Some verball communication between the 2 defenders may be necessary, i.e. "go to him" or "stay back/home".  Thoughts on that?

                  • will corbridge
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                      ALSO, here is who I currently understand as coming on the Homer trip:

                      Will
                      Ben
                      Jen
                      Jillian
                      John
                      Josh
                      Justin (probably)
                      Max
                      Anna
                      Dick
                      Question marks:  Alexis, Dan, Bronwyn

                      A fierce squad to be sure.  Again, I feel kind of bad that we aren't having to split our best players among multiple teams like Homer is, but what are you gonna do...  did I leave anyone out?

                    • will corbridge
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                        Sorry for inundating you guys with emails, but there's one more thing...  Brandon has again offered up his house to accommodate weary 'ballers.  This may be a sleeping-bag-on-floor-or-air-mattress situation, but for those of you who went last year you know it's a big house.  And we WILL have an RV...  it looks like Trace is going to loan us his, but even if he doesn't I WILL RENT ONE.  We can sort out the financials later.

                        -Will

                      • Ben Neff
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                          Nice work Will.
                          I lke the idea of communicating more on ice, like you guys are referencing here...

                          See ya, B

                          On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:11 PM, quikman21 <justinpriest. ak@gmail. com> wrote:

> [...]

                          > > organized way, with communication between them so they had passing lanes.
                          > > That'd be great! I mean "serious" like this all really matters in the end
                          > > and is something to get stressed about.
                          > >
                          > > If we all buy shoes I don't see myself not using them, and sure new people
                          > > could choose to buy new shoes or not if they want, but that's not a very
                          > > open invite to newcomers.
                          > >
                          > > For Jen's two cents, she's not to hot on buying shoes.
                          > >
                          > > On another topic, last year I think we did so well because of goaltending.
                          > > Jonathan was solid, and relentless about grabbing the ball if it was around
                          > > him. He did a great job, but I think we should address it with the Homer
                          > > players. Are goalies allowed to:
                          > > 1. use a hand to pickup a ball?
                          > > 2. drop thier stick and smother a ball?
                          > > I just want us all to know those rules ahead of time, because I think they

                        • Richard Gauntt
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                            I will be game to go to Homer. Charles says he'll probably go too. As for shoes I would be willing to buy some JUST to play against Homer. I understand Anchorage is Rec. broomball, but I have the same feelings that Will does about being beaten by them. If there was a different shoe that adds traction, but can be used as a normal shoe as well it would be worth looking into. When we played them there wasnt much we could do on offense because they could catch up to us and hound us before we could even set up a play. On D we could have done better to break up passing lanes, but we were hindered by mobility. This site may give some help for plays, http://lifetimehockey.com/Hockey_plays_.htm
                            scroll down and you can see plays for O and D plays. Might help someone.

                            I think Anchorage should stay broomball shoe free! Its inviting to new people, like myself, to be able to just show up and have fun without spending money to join. We all saw how if a few people had broomball shoes it took the fun out of the game. However were going to someones home ice that uses those shoes and helmets. Thats a couple advantages in their favor we need to look at.

                            What size nets does Homer play with? I noticed they loved to lift the ball, with Anchorage rules were not supposed to bring it up over our knees. To practice against them I do think we should turn the pond nets tall ways. It would be higher than knees, but not too bad and would give us some practice on a larger net.

                          • Richard Gauntt
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
                              http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Flame-Ice-Sports__W0QQ_armrsZ1

                              this is a link to ebay sellers store that has shoes for 79.99 with free shipping. Has multiple sizes, sticks, balls, pads you name it. Might be an option thats a little cheaper.

                              -- In anchoragebroomball@yahoogroups.com, Ben Neff <bneffer2@...> wrote:

                              > Nice work Will.
                              > I lke the idea of communicating more on ice, like you guys are referencing here...
                              >
                              > See ya, B
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Joshua Wilson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 14, 2009

                                If we are serious about winning, and I think we should be, we should actually practice some of this stuff we are talking about on the ice. I think Justin laid out some of the best gridlines so far and I am going to throw in my two cents.

                                Defense:

                                ·                         In general, you have to stay with your man. The only way to do this on an icy surface is to keep the same momentum they have. You see this in Hockey, there will be a turn over and immediately the two defenders will start skating backward. If you are stagnant the offense only has to beat you once and usually it can be with a pass that you can do nothing about standing still. Justin is great at this; watch him, if he has two defenders standing still in front of him he will always run at then because he knows if he can break them he has an open shot.

                                ·                         If you are beat, especially in broomball, recover to the center of the goal. The easiest place to score from is right in front of the crease with a quick pass shot. More bodies in front make it harder to for them to score.

                                ·                         With your stick, keep it moving if possible, back and forth, you don’t want to let the offence know what you are trying to do, and you always have the chance to knock the ball away.

                                ·                         2 VS. 1 Defender, you have to trust your goal to stop a hard angle shot. As the defender you job is to make sure that they don’t have an easy pass goal to the back door. Typically you stay in front of the goal watching for the pass. This keeps the offense from taking the front of the net, pushes the offender with the ball to the outside, and cuts off the easy pass across the middle to the open man. When this works well, the offender’s momentum carries him into the boards next to the goal because he waits too long and then when he has to pass you can easily snatch up the ball and go on the offensive with two of their guys behind you.

                                ·                         Goalie, none of us are true goalies, Charles is probably one of the best because he stays close to the goal and keeps his balance well. You typically want to make yourself as big as possible, maybe come out one step to cut off the angle, but in general make the offender come up with a great shot, don’t make it too easy by moving too much until after the ball is struck.

                                Offense:

                                ·                      We have got to get set up. Again just like hockey when the offensive unit is working well the puck stays in the zone and you work it around the outside until the defense slips up and you have an opportunity on net. The way we do this is constantly moving. At all times we should have two passes. Set it up just like an L. Move off the ball. If there is someone between you and the person with the ball you are out of position.

                                ·                         We need to always have a person on point, which means in the middle of the field to direct the passing and be there in case there is a turnover so we do not give them a one on one with the goalie. This person can rotate through and probably should as we constantly move while playing offense.

                                ·                         As soon as we take possession, move to the outside. This spreads the field and makes the passing lanes more open. It also spreads the defense which gives us more ice to work with.

                                ·                         Breakaways, we will get most of our goals on breakaways and we need to be sure to do two things. One person on the opposite side needs to start running to the opposite teams goal. Just take off. This does two things. One it takes a defender off the person with the ball. Best case scenario the defender gets confused and stuck in the middle and then you both run past them and you have a 2 on 0. If they come to the man with the ball you can just pass it, and if they got the pass covered, the person with the ball has a clear lane to the goal. The second thing that needs to happen is there needs to be one person who trails the play and ends up right in the middle of the offensive zone. If the original breakaway does not work, you have another shooter in the middle that can take the shot. Finally don’t every go, on a break away these three people will be enough. If the play breaks down that is fine, retain possession and wait for everyone else to set up around the goal and start passing.

                                ·                         Make easy passes. If you don’t have one, pass back to the goal and spread the field again. This isn’t a bad thing, keeping possession is the key. If they don’t have the ball they cannot score on us. And if you are not going to make a pass rip a shot. Will is right; there is nothing worse then seeing someone make a dinky pass right into three defenders and giving them a breakaway.

                                Ok, that is taking from a lot of what was said already, but I think if we could get some of these overall game ideas down, we could be very dangerous in Homer. If anyone has any other thoughts or things you don’t agree with let me know.

                              • max kullberg
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 24, 2009
                                  Buenas Dias Senores y Senoritas,
                                  Hey!  I just got back from Mexico and got all of your beautiful emails in my inbox.  I'm really looking forward to gettint out and playing tomorrow.

                                  Notes on Strategy:
                                  I think that what everyone is saying makes a lot of sense.  I'd like to add a couple of thoughts....  It seems that the consensus is to back up with the offender as he comes to you.  I don't have a problem with this, but I think we should be careful with rules.  There are plenty of times when its important to attack and commit and we don't want to overwhelm instict with too many rules.  I think the most important part of defense is to match the side momentum of the offensive player.  Broomball is funny, because its almost like all plays are happeneing in slow motion.  No matter how much ball handling magic the offensive player demonstrates, he can only move his side ways momentum so fast.  If he starts to kilter to one side of you, its not like he can suddenly swoop over to your other side.  Match the sideways momentum and don't be afraid to poke or swing.  He can't run through you only around you.

                                  I think that good defense comes down to exactly one word.  Hustle..  If you think of all the good defenders the only common characteristic is that they get between you and the net and they get there fast.  They shut down the breakaway by being there.  They slow down the two offensive players so that help can arrive.  The good defender is either in between you and the net or about 2 seconds behind you in a full sprint.  If you stop for a moment they're in your hair and your breakaway is toast.  You have three or four players on a team that want it and don't stop sprinting, then its very very hard to score on them.  So get in shape.

                                  See you tomorrow!
                                  Max