Broomball tonight?

  • Jillian Pearce
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi everyone.
      Do we want to meet up at 7pm tonight (Wednesday) and play?  Sorry, I cant get there any sooner than that.  But if earlier is better for everyone else, I could just join in at 7.
      -Jillian

    • Jillian Pearce
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hey everyone...

        Will, thank you so much for checking into all this stuff at Champions Choice.

        Here is my input:

        Homer Tourney:  I really enjoy playing the "informal" broomball that we play.  Of couse, I do love a good friendly competition too.  I think the Homer trip/tourny would be a blast!  I would participate (assuming its coed) except that I dont want to fork out so much $ for broomball shoes that I dont think we need unless we start up a real broomball league here in Anchorage.  (Which would be awesome too!)

        Shoes:  The informal "show up and play" organization that we have now would not work well if the core of us were all decked out in broomball shoes and protective gear and others that dont play as often did not have all the equipment.

        Brooms/Balls/Helmets:  I dont mind contributing for more brooms/balls, but I do not think we should supply helmets for whoever might show up.  That would be very expensive plus that means someone would have to haul around a bunch of helmets.  I am not to excited about wearing a helmet, but if we decided to require them for safety I would be ok with that.  We could just post on the yahoogroups site that helmets are required to play and everyone is responsible for bringing their own.

        Nets:  I think our current system works fine.  Real nets are too difficult to haul around.

        -Jillian

        will corbridge <wcorbridge@...> wrote:
        This didn't take the first time, so I'm resending it.  Sorry if you end up getting this email twice - complaints can be addressed to Yahoo Newsgroups.

        ******

        A few things that I'd like everybody's input on.

        -Homer tourney.  I've heard from a friend-of-a- friend that there is a four-team league in Homer.  Apparently they play 5-on-5 with 10-person teams for depth.  I haven't contacted them yet, but I think it would be tons of fun to put a bunch of people together and take a road trip down there one weekend for a playoff.  Who all would be interested in this?

        The Homer teams reportedly play with broomball shoes and helmets in addition to knee and shin pads.  Which brings us to the next items...

        -Shoes.

        We'll need the shoes to be competitive if we take this trip.  I went into Champions' Choice today and checked out some shoes.  These things look pretty awesome...  they have grippy soles, but also some light protection for toes and ankles as well as a ton of cushioning.  They appear to be the Forest Ice Traction shoe ($85 at broomball.com) , which CC is selling for $90 a pair.  CC hinted that they would be open to cutting us a team deal of 20% if we rounded up enough people to buy 8 pairs... that would bring the price per pair down to $72.  Broomball.com has some cheaper models with the soles but without toe and ankle protection.. .  prices in the 60s/70s before shipping.  However, in my experience it's best to try on shoes before you buy  them....  the largest shoe CC had was a 12, and they reportedly have sizes down to 5 or so for the ladies.  I normally wear a 13, but I tried on some 12s and they fit me well.

        So how do you guys feel about a group shoe buy?  Part of what makes broomball fun to me is the lack of traction...  I'm not sure how much these shoes would affect that.  I'm not sure if they would be appropriate for weekly wear, as it would automatically make players without the shoes less competitive.  But we'll need the shoes for the Homer trip, unless we could talk them into NOT wearing the shoes.  Food for thought; let me know what you think.

        -Helmets.  I've thought for awhile now that helmets would be a good idea...  maybe even requiring people to wear them so nobody has to feel like a dork.  This is something that we should probably look into even if we don't go to Homer.  Champion's Choice guys said that secondhand helmets aren't usually sold due to liability reasons (we're talking hockey helmets here BTW).  New ones start at around $40 for the cheap ones, but apparently models in the $70-80 range are much more popular due to bing more comfortable.  This is another item where CC would give us a group discount of 20% if we got 8 interested people together.  Another thing to consider here is buying extras for other people who show up to games.

        -Extra brooms.  I'm going to order 6 more brooms, which will bring our grand total to 16.  We also need a second ball again because our backup apparently popped and won't hold air anymore, so I'll take care of that too.  I'll pay up front, but would appreciate if people would chip in towards this.

        -Duffel bag.  Does anybody have a spare duffel bag that they are not using and would like to donate for broom storage?  Our box is falling apart, and the balls get annoyingly trapped at the bottom of it.  We'll need a bag at least 4 feet long.

        -Goals.  Are people happy with our current system of using cones as goals, or do we want to chip in and buy some real ones?

        That's it.  Think this stuff over and get back to me with your input.

        -Will

        Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary! Check it out!

      • icebjorno
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          I'm in.... 7 sound good to me.... Inlet View was in good shape on
          Sunday, probably still in better shape than Central.

          --- In anchoragebroomball@yahoogroups.com, Jillian Pearce
          <jillianmarie79@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone.
          > Do we want to meet up at 7pm tonight (Wednesday) and play? Sorry,
          I cant get there any sooner than that. But if earlier is better for
          everyone else, I could just join in at 7.
          > -Jillian
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          Try it now.

        • will corbridge
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
            I can play at 7 tonight.  Somebody please call me to confirm this is on.  244-8347

            -Will

            To: anchoragebroomball@yahoogroups.com
            From: bjorn.sveinbjornsson@...
            Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:37:57 +0000
            Subject: [anchoragebroomball] Re: Broomball tonight?

            <jillianmarie79@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone.
            > Do we want to meet up at 7pm tonight (Wednesday) and play? Sorry,
            I cant get there any sooner than that. But if earlier is better for
            everyone else, I could just join in at 7.
            > -Jillian

            Try it now.

            i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference. Learn more
          • canceryeti
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
              I don't have a spare duffel, but huge nylon duffels are pretty cheap
              at Army Navy on 4th.