Re: [anchoragebroomball] Re: Homer Trip

  • Justin Priest
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2010
      yo broomballers, Julia and I will be driving down to Homer, last second decision.  So don't wait for us tomorrow :)

      See you at the rink at 6:30.

      ~Justin

      On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM, richard gauntt <richard_gauntt@...> wrote:

      are we seriously going with purple?

      From: johnmahaffey@email.com
      Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:13:26 -0400

      We should leave around 2pm Friday, this would give us a little time for
      breaks and maybe dinner in Soldotna. We can meet at my place since I
      am in s Anchorage and have lots of parking. I think the motorhome
      rental is going to be around $400.
      John

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 4, 2010
        To follow up on that, day 2:

        Anchorage loses a close game 1-0 on a single breakaway full-speed running shot by a Down East forward.
        Then Anchorage tied 1-1, with a great sprinting shot by Gunner vs Otter Room.

        That led to an immediate rematch with Otter Room in the 4vs5 seed playoff. Great saves from Dick, and solid defense from Gil and John helped keep Otter Room off the board and a single goal by Justin I believe? sealed that game for us in another close 1-0 game. (I may be confusing the two goals we scored in those two games vs Otter Room. To be honest I have  a thudding in my head and an odd desire to have a fish taco that are both distracting me.

        At any rate, the Anchorage Goons advanced to the next round, earning a quick breather while Down East dispatched Duggan's Pub.
        Facing Team Alaska (UAA) in the semi's having lost 3-0 on Friday, the talk was of hustle and defense and both teams did a good job of both, ending the 1st half tied at 0-0. Like both of the other girls on the squard ("Brookie" Becks and "Sparkle" Les), Julia played with as much grit and determination as I've seen lowered her head into a mountain of man at center ice and the crowd gasped as she was laid out! Thanks you for helmets. As if more evidence was needed for her toughness, she was back on the ice that game. The score still at nil with minutes remaining two UAA forwards played a perfect give and go at the circle, ripping a laser into the net. That seemed to open the gates as UAA dropped in at least one more goal (I think 2?) and moved on to the finals.

        But first there was a 3rd place game. To be played immediately, of course! The first blow was scored by Duggan's and dispite some ggod opportunities and consistant tenacity that's how the game, and tournament ended for the Goons, with a 2-4-1 4th place finish.

        UAA and Down East went on to a 0-0 regulation in the finals, 1 shooter scored on each team in the first go around, and about 10 shots later a Down East player ripped a shot from the cirle past the UAA goalie and the bench emptied... BUT the ref waived them off, Team Alaska still had thier shooter to go! Slipped a shot past into the corner and this shootout continued. Finally another UAA goal was scored by Murdock and Team Alaska took the 2010 Alaska State championship.

        It was a blast, and I don't think I will physically recover until Tuesday or Wednesday. And I my never mentally recover totally from the ride home... thank you Julia Childs.

        Ben