Private vs Public

  • lee_cffn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2009
      I just uploaded my gedcom and see that all events are marked private.

      I want my information to be public - is there any way to change everything at once?

      I tried to change one event from private to public using the event properties box that pops up on the right hand side. I check the box for Public visibility then save but it does not seem to work!

      I don't find any help for this.

      Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.
    • ancestral.atlas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        Lee,
        What you're asking for is not available yet though it is high on the list on enhancements.

        What we hope to allow you to do is to specify, at the time of upload, whether you'd like your events to be made public by default - where possible. Please remember that we do not want any event associated with a living person to be public to protect that person's privacy - so each event uploaded will be subject to this rule.

        This functionality will hopefully be available within the next few weeks once we've finished the functionality to automatically geo-reference uploaded GEDCOM events.

        The Ancestral Atlas Team

        --- In ancestral_atlas@yahoogroups.com, "lee_cffn" <lee_cffn@...> wrote:

        > I just uploaded my gedcom and see that all events are marked private.
        >
        > I want my information to be public - is there any way to change everything at once?
        >
        > I tried to change one event from private to public using the event properties box that pops up on the right hand side. I check the box for Public visibility then save but it does not seem to work!
        >
        > I don't find any help for this.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

      • mhbowes11
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2010
          On a different private/public note, I just uploaded my gedcom and requested that it be public. While I am logged in I can see the information for living individuals. Is that only because it is my gedcom and your system knows that? In other words, is there some glitch where somebody else can view my living individuals, or is it arranged so that I can see them but no one else can when the data is public?

          Thanks
          [Please excuse any voice recognition errors I may have missed.]
        • ancestral.atlas
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2010
            You're correct - you can see all your individuals (public or private) because you're logged in and the system knows which events belong to you.
            If you log out, you will only be able to see your public events (this is what everyone else sees, even if they are logged in).

            - The Ancestral Atlas Team