Oxfam Gets Money in Honor Of Iranian Filmmaker Denied Prize By Sanctions

  • Amman Filmmakers
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2009
      OXFAM GETS MONEY IN HONOR OF IRANIAN FILMMAKER DENIED PRIZE BY SANCTIONS

      December 23, 2009

      It has been over a year since Iranian filmmaker Mr. Mehrdad Sheikhan won a prize for Best International Short Film for his brilliant animation, titled Solitude, at the Jordan Short Film Festival 2008.

      Since that time, JSFF has been unsuccessful in obtaining authorization or even simple answers to questions from official bodies in US as to how we can repatriate the filmmaker with his prize .

      After many failed attempts, the Amman Filmmakers Cooperative, the cultural body overseeing the Jordan Short Film Festival, made a contribution to Oxfam for the full amount of the prize to honor the Iranian filmmaker and to support poor people in communities served by Oxfam around the world.

      "No matter how hard we try to avoid politics, it lands on us like a sledgehammer," said Hazim Bitar, director of the Jordan Short Film Festival. "We tried to pursue legal means to get the money to Mr. Mehrdad Sheikhan but we always ran into a brick wall of silence."

      Repeating the same sequence of events preceding the genocidal war on Iraq, the US and its allies have imposed unjust sanctions on the Iranian people over an alleged nuclear weapons program. Meanwhile, Israeli war criminals roam freely, and Israel's stockpiles of nuclear warheads are protected from scrutiny by same states who just a few years ago fabricated WMD evidence to wage war on the people of Iraq, resulting in war crimes and crimes against humanity. The perpetrators have never been held accountable for their atrocities.

      Oxfam International is a confederation of 14 like-minded organizations working together and with partners and allies around the world to bring about lasting change. Oxfam describes its activities as "Working with more than 3,000 local partner organizations, we work with people living in poverty striving to exercise their human rights, assert their dignity as full citizens and take control of their lives. "

      OXFAM CONTRIBUTION CONFIRMATION:
      Transaction for the value of: USD 1,000.00
      From: OXFAM
      Merchant's cart ID: 2009LBH001
      Authorisation Date/Time: 22/Dec/2009 06:24:39
      RBS WorldPay's transaction ID: 955304978
      Web: http://www.oxfam.org

      AMMAN FILMMAKERS COOPERATIVE
      Tel: +962.776.400.434
      Email: JordanianFilms@...