OPINION: Our Magical Disappearing Acts versus Our Status as Indie Filmmakers

  • Amman Filmmakers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2008
      OPINION: HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE A
      TRULY INDEPENDENT FILMMAKER IN JORDAN

      June 22, 2008

      By Hazim Bitar

      You know when you are an independent filmmaker in Jordan when the
      leading official newspaper and ministry of culture pretend you don't
      exist.

      Therefore, we are proud to announce the NON-EXISTENCE of the Amman
      Filmmakers Cooperative. This is how it goes:

      - Franco-Arab Film Festival
      At this festival, we are a co-sponsor like the royal film commission
      and we have 6 films in the short film competition but we are not
      mentioned anywhere in the announcement in Al-Rai newspaper, Jordan's
      leading official paper.
      Download PDFformat : http://tinyurl.com/4atbac (Arabic)

      - Ohran Film Festival in Algeria
      At this festival, our film, I AM READY, has been selected as the sole
      Jordanian film. In this Al-Rai article about the festival, there is
      no mention of our film.
      Download PDF : http://tinyurl.com/4de7jj (Arabic)

      - The Jordan Ministry of Culture
      Considering we have over 50 films of which 20 have been selected to
      film festivals, including some of the world's leading festivals,
      yet not once are we mentioned in the ministry of culture page on
      Jordanian cinema.
      Download PDF : http://tinyurl.com/5fke6g (Arabic)

      As the most productive and most established filmmaking
      initiative in Jordan, with a proven track record to boot, we fail to
      see any rational reason behind this bizarre behavior. But it does
      explain why achievement is in short supply around here, since most achievers don't stick around.

      ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Hazim Bitar is the non-founder and non-director of
      the non-Amman non-Filmmakers non-Cooperative.

      For more information, visit our non-existent website
      http://JordanianFilms.com

      This article does not exist.

      # # #