It Takes a Village to Make This Film: Dead Sea acting workshop nets a short

  • Amman Filmmakers
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2008
      IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO MAKE THIS FILM

      April 7, 2008

      Dozens of boys and girls gathered for the one-day acting workshop led
      by Jordanian screen actress Nadia Odeh. But only a few were admitted
      this time. The look of disappointment on the faces of those who were
      left out was too much to bear. So we came up with the idea of making a
      film that anyone in the village who showed up for the training can act
      in.

      What a great idea to keep the momentum going in this small
      impoverished village in the Jordanian Dead Sea community of Ghour
      Maz'ra'a.

      The film idea was silly and simple enough to shoot unscripted and with
      the least amount of rehearsals. When it was explained to the young
      talents from the village, it was an easy sell. And in no time, it was
      ACTION/CUT time.

      The laughs and the smiles form our talents, young and old, made it
      worth everyone's while.

      Our talented 15-years-old Suhayb Ja'a'raat, who already acted in
      another short titled Rasha, takes the lead role as the unscrupulous
      local producer, manager of YaHalaWood Films, who wants to promote his
      film production services at any cost.

      Dr. Suhayb meets with Hollywood filmmaker Jon Pierre (Rabee Zureikat)
      and Hollywood stars Su Su (Nadia Odeh) and Feetoo (Fathi Hwaimel) who
      are looking for a local producer to make an action film about killing
      evildoers. It was a match made in heaven.

      The end product is a promotional video for YaHalaWood Films,
      showcasing their success with Hollywood and advertising their low prices.

      The whole experience was a blast. We made a few dreams come true in a
      small way as kids acted small parts. Maybe some of those who
      experienced the making of this short will be inspired to pursue their
      passion in filmmaking. We have seen it before.

      The acting workshop was organized by Rabee
      Zureikat, cooperative filmmaker and founder of the Zikra Initiative,
      and the Amman Filmmakers Cooperative, a non-profit indie filmmaking
      cultural initiative.

      Special thanks to screen star Nadia Odeh for volunteering her time to
      put a smile on the faces of children and adults alike in Ghour Maz'ra'a.

      RELATED LINKS

      TRAILER: YaHalaWood
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKMxvAFSf0

      Hope Films: Tales from The Dead Sea
      http://ammanfilmmakers.alif.com/feb-20-08-hopefilms-ghour.htm

      The Amman Filmmakers Cooperative
      http://JordanianFilms.com

      Jordanian Films
      http://YouTube.com/JordanianFilms
      (for more films, search Google Video for "amman filmmakers")

      Zikra Initiative
      http://ZikraJordan.org

      # # #