Are you interested in Motion Graphics?

  • Amman Filmmakers
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2005
      The Amman Filmmakers Cooperative(AFC)

      Nov 7, 2005

      Dear Friends,

      To help us decide whether we should hold a Motion Graphics workshop,
      we would appreciate a tentative show of hands. If you are interested
      in a Motion Graphics workshop, please read the workshop details below
      and reply to this email. Kindly specify dates that work best for you.
      If there is enough interest, we will open up the registration process
      as soon as we set dates of the workshop based on your feedback.

      Please note that this is a more evolved verion of the pilot MG
      workshop we introduced last year.

      Regards,
      Hazim Bitar
      AFC Coordinator

      INTRO TO MOTION GRAPHICS
      W/LIVE DEMO

      WHAT
      This workshop provides entry level understanding of motion graphics
      design using a tool such as After Effects. But most of the concepts
      and techniques can be applied to other motion graphics toolsets.

      More and more AFC films have leveraged aspects of MG to enhance the
      production value of the films. Filmmakers Omar Saleh and Rifqi Assaf
      have used MG as a key component in the production of their short film
      The Last Patch. View the web trailer:

      http://AmmanFilmmakers.alif.com/video/last-patch-trailer.wmv

      WHEN
      To be determined

      WHERE
      To be determined

      REGISTRATION
      Interested applicants must complete registration form below to be
      considered for the workshop. Registration does not guarantee workshop
      enrollment in this workshop. Seating is limited.

      Registration form:
      http://ammanfilmmakers.alif.com/workshop-registration.htm

      FEE:
      5 JD for workshop preparations. Must be paid in advance to finalize
      registration for selected applicants.

      BACKGROUND
      Motion graphics (MG) is a relatively young field. Often times, MG can
      be found in the form of TV commercials, but also as video art. Even
      the web is claiming a growing share of motion graphics content.

      Motion graphics is a design philosophy that combines and transforms
      elements from video, stills, audio, and text in a highly synchronized
      manner and over a short period of time to deliver rich audiovisual
      content. MG is video on steroids. MG has become an integral part of
      the creative and commercial world of audiovisual productions.

      Numerous computer-based toolsets exist that are supposedly geared
      towards motion graphics design such as Discreet's Combustion, Adobe
      After Effects, and Apple's Motion. Often times, these toolsets work in
      tandem with other more specialized content editing and processing
      tools such as raster image editing, line art design, audio editing,
      and even video editing tools.

      CLASS PROJECTS
      To illustrate the various features and functions of the selected
      motion graphics toolset (in this case After Effects) the instructor
      will perform a live demonstration of various short projects.

      -------------------------------

      INTRO TO MOTION GRAPHICS

      WORKSHOP OUTLINE

      TOOLSET INTERFACE
      The project window
      The composition window
      The timeline window
      Palette organization
      Time Controls palette
      Audio palette
      Info palette
      Tools palette

      STARTING A PROJECT
      Creating and Setting Up a Project.
      Importing Assets/Footage
      Importing Photoshop files

      COMPOSITIONS
      Settings and preferences for a composition
      Importing footage
      Preview speed, quality, and resolution
      Moving around the editing timeline

      MOTION
      Main transformations: position, scale, rotation
      Controlling transformations with keyframes
      Manipulating keyframes
      Opacity & transparency
      Anchor points

      LAYERS
      Selecting and moving layers
      Duplicating, renaming layers
      Align & distribute layers
      Layer switches
      Trimming unwanted footage
      Splitting layers
      Stretching time to slow or to speed a layer
      Frame blending
      Special layers
      Solid layers
      Adjustment layers
      Blending

      MASKS
      Mask transformations
      Inversing, feathering, expansion, and opacity
      Animating masks and their shapes
      Using mask modes

      EFFECTS
      Applying effects
      The order of effects
      Animating effects with keyframes
      Particle systems
      Backgrounds

      TEXT
      Creating text with the Type tool
      Text properties
      Arabic fonts
      Outline and fill
      Moving text along a path
      Using text animation presets

      INTEGRATING AV CONTENT
      Import sounds
      Synchronize content

      RENDERING
      Render composition for DV
      Render composition for QuickTime
      Render composition for DVD/MPEG2/MPEG1

      WORKSHOP LANGUAGE
      Arabic. English for technical terms.

      IMPORTANT
      Content of workshop may change without notice. For updates, visit link:

      http://AmmanFilmmakers.alif.com/nov-07-05-intro-to-mg.htm

      ABOUT THE AFC
      The Amman Filmmakers Cooperative (AFC) is a not-for-profit cultural
      initiative and talent incubator that aims to promote and encourage
      independent filmmaking through training, experimentation, and networking.

      http://AmmanFilmmakers.Alif.com

      AFC CONTACT
      For inquiries contact Hazim Bitar.
      Phone: +962 (0) 79 5308232