zuraikat wraps up film "ash" | profile: laith majali | "ash" screening @ makan

  • Amman Filmmakers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2005
      The Amman Filmmakers Cooperative (AFC)

      E-NEWSLETTER | June 6, 2005

      1) AFC Filmmaker Rabee' Zureikat Wraps up Short Film "Ash"
      2) Screening of Rabee's Zureikat's "Ash" @ Makan
      3) Profiles of Jordanian Indie Filmmakers: Laith Majali

      1) AFC Filmmaker Rabee' Zureikat Wraps up Anti-Smoking Short Film "Ash"

      (June 6, 2005 - AMMAN) Armed with his advertising background, a
      storyboard, and a style of directing considered first of its kind in
      Jordan, filmmaker Rabee' Zureikat wraps up production for his stylish
      short film "Ash."

      "Ash" is a colorful short that takes on smoking by seeking to
      deconstruct the classic definition of hip and cool via dramatizing the
      annoying accidents associated with smokers in social gatherings.

      "We are seeing an increasing sophistication in Jordanian films, both
      technically and artistically," said Hazim Bitar, coordinator of the
      Amman Filmmakers Cooperative, a cultural initiative which aims to
      promote independent filmmaking in Jordan.

      The cast and crew of "Ash" were composed of AFC screen talent Majd
      Hajjaw, filmmaker Omar Saleh (Decision Man), Rania Haddad, and
      Mohammad Saqfelhait.

      2) Screening of Rabee's Zureikat's "Ash" @ Makan

      WHAT: First screening of Rabee' Zureikat's "Ash" - Duration 5 min.

      WHERE: Makan House

      WHEN: Wednesday June 8, 2005 - 8:30pm

      Also screening at the same event is Ammar Fakhoury's first film titled
      "Who Are You?" (29 min). Fakhoury delivers a very personal and
      courageous message via this experimental film, reflecting on his
      life's most enduring encounters with people and places. Fakhoury, an
      indie filmmaker, has left his mark on various AFC films such as Dalia
      Kury's "Made in China" and Muna Asmar and Sima Zureikat's "A Couple
      and a Silver Roof."

      3) Profiles of Jordanian Indie Filmmakers: Laith Majali

      Q: What is the value of a film school?

      Laith: I think for right now the best schooling I will get is by being
      involved in the industry out here in Los Angeles, USA. After every
      project I cut there is a I feeling that I have learned more. And just
      being surrounded by so many talented individuals who are leaders in
      their fields, I think this would be a continuing real-world education
      to the theory I studied in school.

      Q: What does filmmaking mean to you?

      Laith: It is hard to describe such a feeling, but I guess my
      instinctive answer is that filmmaking is a language that is universal,
      a language that is easy to understand, learn, and communicate with.

      Q: What is the most difficult aspect of filmmaking in Jordan?

      Laith: I would have to say that the most difficult part is that it's
      not taken seriously. Whether it is from the parents, society, or even
      some of the filmmakers. I think what needs to change, especially at
      this early point of Jordanian filmmaking, is the attitude people have.
      Their expectations are too high. They think that we are able to start
      with films that are massive and incorporate an incredible amount of
      production value without resources. But the truth of the matter is
      that we have not even completed the placement of the first building
      block for a film industry in Jordan. There are many good and positive
      things that are happening that are going to lead to the completion of
      this first step. Later, I know that our filmmakers are eventually
      going to shine, and filmmaking is not going to be looked at as an oddity.

      Q: What are your areas of strength as a filmmaker?

      Laith: I think that I have a good sense of timing, I am able to set a
      tone for a film cut through different methods, and color is one of my
      big concerns. I always like to color a scene correctly, and I spend a
      lot of time in the color correction phase perfecting each shot. In my
      editing, I have come to know how to be creative without being
      disruptive, it's not all about quick cuts, but I know when I can break
      the rules and use different techniques to select the actors' best
      performances and to preserve the story of the film.

      For the rest of the Q&A with Laith Majali visit:

      Profiles of Jordanian Indie Filmmakers is an AFC feature with the
      objective of providing our readers with insights into the persons
      behind the films.

      Laith Majali's credentials as of May 2005: Khalil Talhouni Award for
      promotion of Arab and Islamic Culture, Aegis Award finalist, Telly
      Award finalist, Videographer Award of Distinction, and Jordanian Short
      Film Festival.

      # # #