CONFIRM: intro to doc filmmaking | profile: amin matalqa | new AFC web |festival

  • Amman Filmmakers
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      The Amman Filmmakers Cooperative (AFC)

      E-NEWSLETTER | May 4, 2005

      1) CONFIRM: Intro to Documentary Filmmaking, Saturday May 14, 2005
      2) Profile of Jordanian Indie Filmmakers: Amin Matalqa
      3) Our new AFC website. Still under development.
      4) Festival Update: AFC to join the Festival du monde arabe de
      Montréal
      5) UAE films screening at Shoman

      1) INTRO TO DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKING WORKSHOP
      W/LIVE DEMO & IN-CLASS FILM PROJECT - STILL FREE!

      WHAT
      In this workshop, students will learn the basic skills to produce
      documentaries, using a digital video camera and computer-based editing
      software. There will be a live demonstration of the workings of the DV
      camera and film editing software. Students and instructor will
      together produce a one-minuet documentary.

      WHEN
      Saturday May 14, 2005 | 10am-7pm

      WHERE
      Masrah el Balad
      see map for directions:
      http://ammanfilmmakers.alif.com/images/masrah-map.jpg

      AFC CONTACT
      For inquiries contact Hazim Bitar.
      Phone: 079/5308232 / Email: AmmanFilmmakers@...

      CONFIRMATION
      To confirm registration, interested participants should SMS
      079/5308232 with their full name. No confirmations will be accepted
      for more than once person per phone number.

      LATE FEES
      This workshop is FREE for students who confirm their registration no
      later than 48 hours prior to workshop start time/date and show up no
      later than 10:15am on date of workshop.

      * Unconfirmed walk-in students will pay 5 JD.
      *Late participants arriving after 10:15am will have to pay 5 JD.
      * Confirmed students who do not show up and do not cancel at least 48
      hours prior to registration will have to pay 5 JD to attend any future
      AFC workshop.

      THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL NOT BE RELAXED. Just because our workshops
      are for free, it does not mean our time and effort and those of our
      punctual students are not valuable to us. CONFIRM ONLY IF YOU PLAN TO
      ATTEND, CANCEL 48 HOURS BEFORE, IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT.

      WORKSHOP OUTLINE

      10:00am-11:00am | PART I - DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKING HISTORY, CONCEPTS, &
      LIFECYCLE

      - What is the Amman Filmmakers Cooperative?
      - Assumptions, expectations, and plan of action.
      - Screening of selected short documentaries produced by AFC filmmakers
      and others.
      - Common mistakes committed by beginners.
      - Ethics of the business: defamation, staging, objectivity,
      copyrights, and fair use.

      11:00am-12:00pm | PART II - PRE-PRODUCTION PLANNING
      - Structuring the story.
      - Research.
      - Budgeting.
      - Schedule.
      - Equipment.
      - Interview preparations.
      - Permits & clearances.
      - Location scouting.
      - Shooting script.

      12:00pm-1:00pm | PART III - PRODUCTION
      - Video camera basics.
      - Shot angles.
      - Framing the shot.
      - Cutaways.
      - Conducting the interviews.
      - Logging footage.
      - Audio issues.

      1:00pm-2:00pm | Lunch Break

      2:00pm-4:00pm | PART IV - POST-PRODUCTION
      - Editing workstation configuration.
      - Editing tools of the trade.
      - Logging the relevant film cuts.
      - Capturing footage from camera to PC.
      - Arranging film footage using editing software.
      - Transitions.
      - Narration.
      - Music track.
      - Titles.
      - Incorporating photos/graphics.
      - Assembling the rough cut.
      - Exporting to CD.

      4:00pm-7:00pm | PART V - REAL-WORLD FILM PROJECT

      Putting it all together: The instructor will demonstrate key
      filmmaking concepts described in the workshop by producing a short
      documentary.

      IMPORTANT
      Content of workshop may change without notice. The coordinator of the
      workshop and management of the host facility have the right to refuse
      participation to anyone. For updates, visit:

      http://AmmanFilmmakers.alif.com/may-14-05-intro-to-docfilm.htm

      ABOUT THE AFC
      The Amman Filmmakers Cooperative (AFC) is a not-for-profit cultural
      initiative and talent incubator that aims to promote and encourage
      independent filmmaking through training, experimentation, and
      networking.

      http://AmmanFilmmakers.Alif.com

      2) Profiles of Jordanian Indie Filmmakers: Amin Matalqa

      Q: Does the thought of you becoming a starving artist cross your mind?
      How do you confront such fears?
      AMIN: Yes. It's not going to stop me. I have too much faith to give
      up. There are tons of starving artists in LA. I think if one goes
      about his/her goals with a strategy, then they can control their
      destiny.

      Q: When determining the "production value" of your film, do you rely
      mostly on your own assessment or do you seek the opinion of others?
      Why?
      AMIN: For now, I have to work with what I have. These are no budget
      shorts after all. I spend less than $200 on each movie. Mostly, it's
      money spent on food for my cast and crew.

      Q: Are you a structured filmmaker or do you approach filmmaking
      organically? Do you plan everything in advance or do you like to
      explore and experiment on location?
      AMIN: I plan as much as possible. I storyboard. I create shot lists
      for all the camera angles beforehand. You want to show up knowing what
      you're going to do. Everyone is going to look at you for the next
      move. You have to know what you're doing and I don't think it's wise
      to go in unprepared. Directing is preparing.

      For the rest of the Q&A with Amin Matalqa visit:
      http://AmmanFilmmakers.Alif.com/profile-amin.htm

      Profiles of Jordanian Indie Filmmakers is a new AFC feature to
      help our readers understand the persons behind the films.

      3) Our new AFC website. Still under development.

      We need your feedback. Have you seen our new look? It's still
      work-in-progress but we would like to hear your comments. See any
      errors or omissions? Send us a note by replying to this email. Again,
      the AFC website is http://AmmanFilmmakers.Alif.com/events.htm

      4) Festival Update: AFC to join the Festival du monde arabe de
      Montréal

      May 4, 2005

      The selection committee of the Festival du monde arabe de Montréal
      has
      approved the following AFC films in their program for 2005:

      - Overdose by Ammar Quttaineh
      - 3 Ghettoes...1 Land by Suhad Khatib
      - Death by Chocolate by AFC Class of May 2004
      - Tough Luck by Ammar Quttaineh
      - Nightmares of Reality by Aseel Mansour & Razan Khatib
      - Heartache by Mais & Hussam Hamarneh
      - Reason by Amr Toukhy

      Congratulations to all of those filmmakers. This is a great start for
      2005.

      5) UAE films screening at Shoman

      WHAT: Three Days of Emarati films in Amman

      WHERE: Shoman Foundation - between 2nd & 3rd circle

      WHEN: 3-5, May 2005

      CONTACT: Adnan Madanat, adnan@...

      For a detailed screening schedule: http://www.shom
      an.org/cinemaList.aspx