The 13th Damascus International Film Festival, on Dec 6-13, 2003, to screen 450 films

  • Amman Filmmakers
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      December 3, 2003

      Dear AFC Filmmakers and Friends,

      The 13th Damascus International Film Festival will kick off its
      film screening activities on Dec 6-13, 2003. This is a
      great opportunity for Ammani film fans to enjoy one of the
      largest collections of films ever packed in a regional film
      festival-over 400. Better yet, Damascus is only a couple of
      hours away from Amman via automobile.

      A reporter from Tashreen newspaper wrote about the festival:
      "450 films will be shown. The activities include the
      demonstrations of Indian, German and Egyptian films.
      Demonstrations for Children and feminist cinema will also be
      held during the event. � A number of outstanding Arab film
      makers, producers, cinema critics and technicians will be
      honoured on the sidelines of the Festival...The exhibition will
      highlight the devices used by film makers since the beginning of
      cinema production. �About 200 Arab film makers, producers and
      actors will be hosted by Damascus during the event."

      For more information about the festival visit:
      - http://www.cinemasy.com
      - http://www.teshreen.com/syriatimes/_arts.asp?FileName=20031201042201

      The AFC attempted to contact the organizers on multiple
      occasions and via various channels to obtain detailed info about
      film screenings dates, times, and venues as well as registration
      information, but to no avail. Our advisory board member Adnan
      Madanat informed us, based on his past experience with the
      Damascus festival, that film schedules will be published on the
      first day of the festival, but those who wish to attend should
      just head to Damascus and stop by Sham Hotel on the 7th of
      December (the opening event on the 6th is supposedly by
      invitation only). Festival film screenings will take place in
      the Salhyiah area, according to our sources.

      A number of AFC members have already planed to attend the
      festival. If you are interested in networking, please drop us a
      note with your name, phone#, and hotel and we will try to
      contact you for the AFC social gathering, to be held at a cafe
      close to one of the festival theaters.

      As soon as we have more details, we will keep you updated.

      Regards,
      The Amman Filmmakers Cooperative

      # # #