Re: [americancomm] verbal styles in small-group communication

  • nur amin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006
      i might suggest you to read handbook of group communication. pls be specified on your level of analysis. which student?

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
        Thank you!
        Well, actually it's the topic of my BA thesis. I intend to make a comparison between Vietnamese culture and American culture. The target population is college students (then I should mention this in the title). Is it appropriate?
        To collect data, I'll employ the survey method (questionnaires and interviews). Some people have advised me to use naturalistic observation method but I think it's quite hard for me to observe a "real" group discussion of American college students. Also, the observation method, in my view, is more beneficial to studies on nonverbal communication than those on verbal communication because we need to "observe" the participants' bahaviours, attitude, etc. What do you think?

        nur amin <astohar@...> wrote:
        i might suggest you to read handbook of group communication. pls be specified on your level of analysis. which student?

        Hello! I'm doing a research on students' verbal styles in small-group
        communication. Anyone of you has an idea for this? Please share with
        me. By the way, if possible, could you give me an advice on how/ where
        to find related studies on this topic?

        Thank you in advance!

        Cheerio,
        Linh

        Sponsored Link

        Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill. Sign up now.

      • Little Bookworm

          Hello! I'm doing a research on students' verbal styles in small-group
          communication. Anyone of you has an idea for this? Please share with
          me. By the way, if possible, could you give me an advice on how/ where
          to find related studies on this topic?

          Thank you in advance!

          Cheerio,
          Linh

          Sponsored Link

          Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill. Sign up now.

          Sponsored Link

          Try Netflix today! With plans starting at only $5.99 a month what are you waiting for?

        • Rebecca Hatcher

            Hello! I'm doing a research on students' verbal styles in small-group
            communication. Anyone of you has an idea for this? Please share with
            me. By the way, if possible, could you give me an advice on how/ where
            to find related studies on this topic?

            Thank you in advance!

            Cheerio,
            Linh

            Sponsored Link

            Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill. Sign up now.

            Sponsored Link

            Free Uniden 5.8GHz Phone System with Packet8 Internet Phone Service

          • Little Bookworm

              Hello! I'm doing a research on students' verbal styles in small-group
              communication. Anyone of you has an idea for this? Please share with
              me. By the way, if possible, could you give me an advice on how/ where
              to find related studies on this topic?

              Thank you in advance!

              Cheerio,
              Linh

              Sponsored Link

              Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill. Sign up now.

              Sponsored Link

              Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply

            • Lori Widmer
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2006
                Hi Linh,

                Have you tried Deborah Tannen's books? She has one called Talking From
                9 to 5. It examines communication in the workplace. You may find
                something there.

                Best of luck!
                Lori