Insight

  • Bell, Debbie A.
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 18, 2006
      Hi, Everyone. I'm new to the group.

      One of the reasons I asked to join was so that I can get some insight as
      to how to break into the communications field. I know "communications"
      is a broad term, but it seems that almost any area I inquire into wants
      something I don't have or can't get unless I'm given employment.

      I currently do legal administrative work, but am completing my undergrad
      in Management Communication this December. I have already applied to
      Johns Hopkins grad school's Communication in Contemporary Society,
      concentrating on political communication and digital technologies.

      I have over 20 years work experience (started as a court reporter), and
      have done a great deal of training/computer helpdesk support in my
      positions.

      Of course, the reason I am given now is that I have not worked per se in
      a public relations or any other kind of specific communication
      organization.

      My question is what does it take? Is it really that serious? I would
      be willing to do an internship, but not fulltime, as I am head of my
      household, and I need the income to pay the bills.

      However, why should I do that? Why is it my extensive work experience
      along w/ the formal education not be enough?

      Please I welcome all comments.

      Thank you.

      Debbie A. Bell
      Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
      202-662-4544
    • Dale Cyphert
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 18, 2006
        I guess the real question is what do YOU mean by "the communication
        field"? It sounds like you're aiming for a position in public
        relations? If so, you probably have the hardest part already under
        control: writing skills.

        The advanced degrees are great, and probably necessary for managerial
        positions, but you should have no problem finding contract work or
        part-time work in a corporate environment. Once you've done that a bit,
        you really shouldn't have any trouble getting into a "director of
        communication" job after you have that degree.

        The confounding issue, as I see it, is that you'll find communication
        positions don't pay as well as legal administration. Which is why I'm
        wondering what you really mean by "communication" positions. What job
        are you actually aiming for?

        dale

        Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
        Associate Professor and Interim Head
        Department of Management
        University of Northern Iowa
        1227 W. 27th Street
        Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
        (319) 273-6150; fax (319) 2732922
        dale.cyphert@...

        Bell, Debbie A. wrote:

        > Hi, Everyone. I'm new to the group.
        >
        > One of the reasons I asked to join was so that I can get some insight as
        > to how to break into the communications field. I know "communications"
        > is a broad term, but it seems that almost any area I inquire into wants
        > something I don't have or can't get unless I'm given employment.
        >
        > I currently do legal administrative work, but am completing my undergrad
        > in Management Communication this December. I have already applied to
        > Johns Hopkins grad school's Communication in Contemporary Society,
        > concentrating on political communication and digital technologies.
        >
        > I have over 20 years work experience (started as a court reporter), and
        > have done a great deal of training/computer helpdesk support in my
        > positions.
        >
        > Of course, the reason I am given now is that I have not worked per se in
        > a public relations or any other kind of specific communication
        > organization.
        >
        > My question is what does it take? Is it really that serious? I would
        > be willing to do an internship, but not fulltime, as I am head of my
        > household, and I need the income to pay the bills.
        >
        > However, why should I do that? Why is it my extensive work experience
        > along w/ the formal education not be enough?
        >
        > Please I welcome all comments.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Debbie A. Bell
        > Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
        > 202-662-4544

      • Bell, Debbie A.
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 19, 2006
          Message
          Thank you for your feedback, Dale.

          My goal and target is exactly what you mentioned "director of communication."  I'm actually more interested in political communication and the effects of digital technologies on this concentration.

          dale.cyphert@ uni.edu

          Bell, Debbie A. wrote:

          > Hi, Everyone. I'm new to the group.
          >
          > One of the reasons I asked to join was so that I can get some insight as
          > to how to break into the communications field. I know "communications"
          > is a broad term, but it seems that almost any area I inquire into wants
          > something I don't have or can't get unless I'm given employment.
          >
          > I currently do legal administrative work, but am completing my undergrad
          > in Management Communication this December. I have already applied to
          > Johns Hopkins grad school's Communication in Contemporary Society,
          > concentrating on political communication and digital technologies.
          >
          > I have over 20 years work experience (started as a court reporter), and
          > have done a great deal of training/computer helpdesk support in my
          > positions.
          >
          > Of course, the reason I am given now is that I have not worked per se in
          > a public relations or any other kind of specific communication
          > organization.
          >
          > My question is what does it take? Is it really that serious? I would
          > be willing to do an internship, but not fulltime, as I am head of my
          > household, and I need the income to pay the bills.
          >
          > However, why should I do that? Why is it my extensive work experience
          > along w/ the formal education not be enough?
          >
          > Please I welcome all comments.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Debbie A. Bell
          > Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
          > 202-662-4544

        • Lori Widmer
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2006
            Hi Debbie,

            I hate the excuse that despite all your background, you don't have
            the "experience" for the job, don't you? In fact, you probably have
            more than enough experience.

            Look at your past jobs. In court reporting and in help desk support,
            you had to deal with people, even customers. On your resume, I would
            simply list that you have XX years in representing the company and
            handling customers efficiently and satisfactorily because hey, you
            did.

            It always astounds me when I hear of people having difficulty getting
            a PR position. Trust me - as an editor dealing with PR folks, there
            are plenty of hacks out there who think PR is simply writing press
            releases. A truly good PR professional will know the media and try to
            deliver the proper contact. Also, there's a good deal of damage
            control in some companies and yes, PR should be handling that,
            alongside the risk management or legal departments.

            Perhaps a better way for you to land a job would be to write a cover
            letter that shows you know what the job entails and you have some
            experience in certain aspects of it. Just look over your past jobs
            and see where you indeed do have PR experience.

            And good luck!

            Lori

            Lori Widmer
            Publisher
            Risk Factor
            Valley Forge, PA
            www.ldwpublishing.com

            --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, "Bell, Debbie A." <dbell@...>
            wrote:

            > Thank you for your feedback, Dale.
            >
            > My goal and target is exactly what you mentioned "director of
            > communication." I'm actually more interested in political
            communication
            > and the effects of digital technologies on this concentration.

          • Bell, Debbie A.
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2006
              Message
              Hi Lori,

              Thanks so much for your input.  You have excellent insight, as I have always stressed that my past experience and formal training, which is essentially PR, are the things that differentiate me from my colleagues.  This foundation was laid during the 3 years I worked as a bank teller coming out of high school while going to college.  I became committed then to excellent customer relations.

              With that being said, I think you have offered excellent advice and I will do as you suggest.  It is important that I break through this barrier so I can operate on a level and in an atmosphere I'm comfortable in.

              Thanks again for your time and input!

              wrote:

              > Thank you for your feedback, Dale.
              >
              > My goal and target is exactly what you mentioned "director of
              > communication. " I'm actually more interested in political
              communication
              > and the effects of digital technologies on this concentration.

            • Lori Widmer
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2006
                Thank you, Debbie. And thank you all for not pointing out my dangling
                modifier. That's what happens when a caffeine-fueled brain is allowed
                to operate without supervision. ;)

                Lori

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                  On Lori Widmer--

                  I always find Lori Widmer as someone with the Energy, the Light, the Courage, the Passion and Compassion for those who are finding their path... always insightful and full of with wisdom.

                  Lori have kept me positive and hopeful in my career and in my ACA participation.

                  On Dr. Ann Rosenthal-- I could see how our ACA president, Dr. Rosenthal, is moving us towards a direction that will put our organization visible in the "global map."

                  I hope more and more ACA members out there can give their contribution, provide input, ideas and suggestions to help support our President's efforts. Let's all strive to work together and let's help each other bring our individual visions into a group reality.

                   Myrene

                  wrote:

                  > Thank you for your feedback, Dale.
                  >
                  > My goal and target is exactly what you mentioned "director of
                  > communication. " I'm actually more interested in political
                  communication
                  > and the effects of digital technologies on this concentration.

                • Bell, Debbie A.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                    Message
                    Yes, Myrene, I actually saw and felt all of these qualities come out as she spoke to me.  There's a power and uniqueness in Lori that certainly is not altogether seen on a regular basis -- definitely the kind of person one would not mind having in their circle.

                    BTW, Lori:  I am a native Philadelphian, which is not at all far from Valley Forge.

                    Myrene:  I'm new to the group, but I am more than happy to climb aboard and take active part in Dr. Rosenthal's vision.

                    Debbie

                    wrote:

                    > Thank you for your feedback, Dale.
                    >
                    > My goal and target is exactly what you mentioned "director of
                    > communication. " I'm actually more interested in political
                    communication
                    > and the effects of digital technologies on this concentration.

                  • Lori Widmer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                      Myrene, you're very kind! Thank you for the words of support.

                      You are going to play a very pivotal role in the survival of this
                      group, I predict. I love that you jump right in with an incredible
                      idea and you're willing to back it with action.

                      Thanks again for the kind words. I'm glad we're on the same board. :)

                      --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Myrene Magabo <magus_898@...>
                      wrote:

                      > On Lori Widmer--
                      >
                      > I always find Lori Widmer as someone with the Energy, the Light,
                      the Courage, the Passion and Compassion for those who are finding
                      their path... always insightful and full of with wisdom.

                      > Lori have kept me positive and hopeful in my career and in my ACA
                      participation.

                      > On Dr. Ann Rosenthal-- I could see how our ACA president, Dr.
                      Rosenthal, is moving us towards a direction that will put our
                      organization visible in the "global map."

                      > I hope more and more ACA members out there can give their
                      contribution, provide input, ideas and suggestions to help support
                      our President's efforts. Let's all strive to work together and let's
                      help each other bring our individual visions into a group reality.

                      > Myrene
                      >

                      > "Bell, Debbie A." <dbell@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Lori,
                      >
                      > Thanks so much for your input. You have excellent insight, as I
                      have always stressed that my past experience and formal training,
                      which is essentially PR, are the things that differentiate me from my
                      colleagues. This foundation was laid during the 3 years I worked as
                      a bank teller coming out of high school while going to college. I
                      became committed then to excellent customer relations.

                      > With that being said, I think you have offered excellent advice
                      and I will do as you suggest. It is important that I break through
                      this barrier so I can operate on a level and in an atmosphere I'm
                      comfortable in.

                      > Thanks again for your time and input!
                      >
                      > Debbie

                    • Lori Widmer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                        Thank you, all. Really. I'm getting embarrassed here!

                        We all have something to bring to ACA. I think it would be a great
                        idea to think about our strengths and to examine just how we can
                        apply those to better serve this organization.

                        Peace all....

                        Lori

                        wrote:

                        > Yes, Myrene, I actually saw and felt all of these qualities come
                        out as
                        > she spoke to me. There's a power and uniqueness in Lori that
                        certainly
                        > is not altogether seen on a regular basis -- definitely the kind of
                        > person one would not mind having in their circle.
                        >
                        > BTW, Lori: I am a native Philadelphian, which is not at all far
                        from
                        > Valley Forge.
                        >
                        > Myrene: I'm new to the group, but I am more than happy to climb
                        aboard
                        > and take active part in Dr. Rosenthal's vision.
                        >
                        > Debbie

                        g/tsmileys2/05.gif>

                        > Myrene
                        >

                        > "Bell, Debbie A." <dbell@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Hi Lori,
                        >
                        > Thanks so much for your input. You have excellent
                        > insight, as I have always stressed that my past experience and
                        formal
                        > training, which is essentially PR, are the things that
                        differentiate me
                        > from my colleagues. This foundation was laid during the 3 years I
                        > worked as a bank teller com! ing out of high school while going to
                        > college. I became committe d then to excellent customer relations.
                        >
                        > With that being said, I think you have offered
                        excellent
                        > advice and I will do as you suggest. It is important that I break
                        > through this barrier so I can operate on a level and in an
                        atmosphere
                        > I'm comfortable in.
                        >
                        > Thanks again for your time and input!
                        >
                        > Debbie

                        training/computer
                        > helpdesk support
                        > > in my
                        > > > positions.
                        > > >
                        > > > Of course, the reason I am given now is
                        that
                        > I have not
                        > worked
                        > > per se in
                        > > > a public relations or any other kind of
                        > specific
                        > communication
                        > > > organization.
                        > > >
                        > > > My question is what does it take? Is it
                        > really that
                        > serious? I
                        > > would
                        > > > be willing to do an internship, but not
                        > fulltime, as I am
                        > head
                        > > of my
                        > > > household, and I need the income to pay
                        the
                        > bills.
                        > > >
                        > > > However, why should I do that? Why is it
                        my
                        > extensive work
                        > > experience
                        > > > along w/ the formal education not be
                        enough?

                        > > > Please I welcome all comments.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thank you.
                        > > >
                        > > > Debbie A. Bell
                        > > > Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
                        > > > 202-662-4544
                        > > >

                        > ________________________________

                        <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42297/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com
                        /m

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                          On Virtues.

                          Oh-- reading Lori Widmer's and Ann Rosenthal's responses to the acknowledgement of their greatness humbles me down further and reminds me of the virtue that will always put an individual on top.

                          It is biblically said that "Those who humble down shall be exalted and those who exalt themselves shall be humbled down.

                          Now, it's me getting embarrassed here... But honest to goodness. I had no intention to flatter. And, I stand still and firm in the words I gave.

                          Leaders with wisdom lead with humility. This is all I know.  And, leadeship carried on with the right virtues will result in members' growth and professional development too.

                          On Substance:
                          I love the profound thoughts expounded by Ann on ACA. I'm sure we can use this great concept in presenting ACA to our friends, colleagues and acquaintances.

                          Ann, that was also a great historical backgrounder with a futuristic outlook; expressing a sense of gratitude to those who began the works and to those who are now part of the continuing endeavor.

                          Oh, I salute our pioneering leaders. I will never forget that it was Dr. Ty Adams who frist acknowledged and accepted me to join the ACA board sometime in 2002. I never contributed much during his term. Actually, it is for that sense of indebtedness that I would like to work and see my own results this time.

                          Hey, Dr. Adams-- Thanks!  One of the reasons I never quit ACA is that I look back to the moment when you got me in the board. Honest.

                          Thank you too-- Ann and Lori. I hope to see more of my kind finding zest, inspiration and vigor being part of our group. You may not have realized it but both of you have very nurturing spirit. That would help sustain and enhance our membership participation and growth.

                          Of the Essence:

                          Connectedness is the essence that is summed up in Ann's words about ACA.
                          Our connectedness defines the space we occupy... We exist and we're real.

                          May the Light continue to shine on our ship. It would be inevitable for storms to rock us sometimes but let's keep our flag asailing. In the good times during the good weather, let's sail fast a little farther.

                          Prayerfully and  with a big  in my heart,

                          myrene

                          wrote:

                          > Yes, Myrene, I actually saw and felt all of these qualities come
                          out as
                          > she spoke to me. There's a power and uniqueness in Lori that
                          certainly
                          > is not altogether seen on a regular basis -- definitely the kind of
                          > person one would not mind having in their circle.
                          >
                          > BTW, Lori: I am a native Philadelphian, which is not at all far
                          from
                          > Valley Forge.
                          >
                          > Myrene: I'm new to the group, but I am more than happy to climb
                          aboard
                          > and take active part in Dr. Rosenthal's vision.
                          >
                          > Debbie

                          training/computer