Re: [americancomm] Better Communication, Better Ties

  • WFFCC
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 4, 2006
      Dear Myrene,

      I think the comments you've made speak clearly to the reasons for so
      many asking to unsubscribe. Those on this board who know the rules of
      "netiquette" should understand that a few words in the Subject Line
      could make a huge difference in the utility of this list. I'm also
      amazed at how quick some people are to judge. I was called an Ugly
      American because I don't want a dozen unlabeled emails (except for
      [americancomm]) in my mailbox every morning--many of which I cannot
      understand. I'm all for global peace and understanding, but I sure
      don't feel the love here.

      Nancy Buerkel-Rothfuss, Ph.D.
      Professor of Communication
    • James L Owen
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 4, 2006
        Hi Ty: To my recollection, some time ago we set things up so that individuals can become a member of the "Chat List" or they can simply become a member of the "Major Announcements List." Is this choice still available to all of us? Can you clarify this for everyone? I do not want to be a member of the chat list, but I most certainly want to be a member of the list that announces conferences, publication of our journal, elections, etc. My guess is that a lot of the people requesting to unsubscribe have similar interests. I do want to take you up on your offer to unsubscribe me from the "chat list," but I want to be sure that I'm still included on the "announcements list."

        Best, Jim

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 4, 2006

          Hello Jim and anyone else concerned,

          When we migrated from the Appalachain State University server to YahooGroups! I did not carry over the "announcements" list, sadly.  As a result, I would bet that that list is still listed (but inactive) at AppState.  However, it is my understanding that ACA President Ann Rosenthal is working with our new Webmaster Dan Garon on releasing a very innovative portal for ACA, which would include an americancomm-specific listserv (and discussion boards).

          I could easily start up a new Yahoogroups list for announcements.  But, I think it would be ill-advised and ill-fated, since another Web paradigm looms.  My best advice to you, as a BOD member and ACA member, is to contact ACA President Ann Rosenthal and see what she and Dan Garon are going to release.

          ty adams, phd

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 4, 2006
            One thing people can do by going to groups.yahoo.com and editing you
            membership in this group is to have the way you recieve messages
            changed.

            The options are:

            each message
            daily digest
            important messages only from the moderator
            only read the messages from the web site for the group

            The last three of those options allow people not to get as much or any
            email from the group but still be able to belong and read what is
            posted at their leisure.

            -jim

            --
            ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 6, 2006
              Dear Nancy,

              I could emphatize with you in a way that I felt having been misjudged too in this forum. I remembered that last year, some people commented on community college instructors (knowing I was) to the effect that we're quite below standards compared to university professors. Well, people reach certain levels of success not at the same time. As a non-U.S. graduate, I cannot immediately rise to where Americans are. That's pretty obvious. But, to look down on community college instructors...I even forgot the names of those ACA members who insenuated such idea. They Ph.D. degree holders and accomplished university professors.

              But, I remained attentive to the ACA exchange of ideas. And,  who could probably disagree with you? There are decent ways of providing enlightenment to people. If we think some people are wrong, there is always a better way of telling people what we think should be without condemnation or judgment. We can only suggest but not judge.

              From the way some people communicate, we could perceive the want for "recognition." What could be the best way to explain it when people judge or belittle others? It's an attempt to put one's self up or to appear bigger than others.

              Although, we don't have rules as professionals, we must practice communication ethics. With this, it is hard to go wrong. With this too, we can be more united and become more useful (constructive not destructive) to each other.

              Perhaps, it is about time that the savagery for lambasting others and the tendency to make quick judgments be put away. Our communication ethics must be reviewed and put to practice.

              I do hope for more professionalism and exercise of communication ethics among us all, ACA members.

              Myrene

              I certainly could emphatize with you and I do get your point. Thus, when I make a reply, I relate my subject to the contents/message that I will be sending. If I want my message to be a personal one, I try to find out if someone has a personal e-mail and send my personal message to that personal e-mail. That way, I am not broadcasting a personal m

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 6, 2006
                Dear Scary Creek:

                What could be so juvenile and not worthy to you may be of worth to others. Can you be more specific as to the thought and ideas in my message that you find unworthy of the communication profession?

                I suggest you block me from your mailing list if you find my ideas on communication unworthy.

                Myrene

                scarycreek@... wrote:
                To All who care:  I share these thoughts.  This should be a web site to generate and to maintain high level scholastic endeavors and to share intellectual ideas and concepts regarding human communication. At times the messages are juvenile and not worthy of the profession.  Just a thought.

                Regards,

                J.E. Richards

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 6, 2006
                  simply block us off from your list. That's all you have to do.

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/americanco mm/ <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/americanco mm/>

                  The directions are pretty clear, from there...

                  But, alas, if you cannot still figure it out -- I promise to remove you from the list, if you'll simply email me directly and ask to be removed:
                  theswampboy@ gmail.com <mailto:theswampboy@ gmail.com>

                  thanks.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 6, 2006
                    Hi,

                    Have you read scary creek's e-mail to the group? Specifically in response to my message. There's also one from someone complaining about being part of the ordinary communication.

                    There's a saying: "The higher we fly the greater would be our fall. I suggest that those who find people unworthy of communicating with them block us off from their e-mail list. That way, they don't even have to waste their time reading messages from the common minded ones.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 6, 2006
                      With this, I seem to see that we are now on the move to put ACA members at two levels: 1) the group of intellectuals - those who have the resources and capabilities for conferences, publication and journal; and, 2) the commoners - those who are starting to build their careers/reputation in the field.

                      This would somehow help eliminate the "unnecessaries" like messages we don't recognize to be truly for ACA professionals.

                      This message shows ACA has now a distinct direction and the BOD members showing "finite" identities.

                      Shouldn't ACA now restrict its membership to those whom the "Officers"  believe are worthy to be part of their group?

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 6, 2006

                        Myrene,

                        I do not see that at all.  What I see is a (1) general discussion list, and (2) an announcement of ACA information list -- per James Owen's suggestions.  I do not think we are trying to create a hierarchy, of sorts.  I think we are just trying to find a way to separate the signal from the noise, better, that's all.

                        I would suggest that we become a moderated list, with someone who "selected" which posts were worthy of group dissemination.  But, that smacks as more "restrictive" than not.

                        Until the new website comes online, which may facilitate communication more than we anticipate, we are left with the YahooGroup.  I ask that everyone simply please try to make posts of substance, rather than simple "I agree" statements or other such prattle.

                        ty adams

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 6, 2006
                          I must respectfully disagree with you about the segregation of the
                          ACA. I am probably the least "educated" member of the ACA after all
                          I only received my BA in communication last year. I am currently in
                          an MS program it is for community counseling. Although I did manage
                          to attend the recent conference, I am one of the commoners trying to
                          build my career. I truly enjoy the conversations/disagreements we
                          have here, but I do not like it when members attack one another for
                          having a different belief and I guess it is because as a student I
                          was indoctrinated with the statement "agree to disagree."
                          Unfortunately some will take their view to the grave and will not
                          have any tolerance for any other opinion and we will have to accept
                          these people and their right to their opinion until they either
                          leave or realize it is OK for others to see the world differently.
                          I am reminded of the soldiers from the Private to the General who
                          gave their lives protecting the Flag and by doing so they gave the
                          right to others to burn the flag. We have to stand by our own
                          ethics (regardless of our "status") and allow others to express the
                          freedom we protect; the freedom of speech.

                          Vern

                          --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Myrene Magabo <magus_898@...>
                          wrote:

                          > With this, I seem to see that we are now on the move to put ACA
                          members at two levels: 1) the group of intellectuals - those who
                          have the resources and capabilities for conferences, publication and
                          journal; and, 2) the commoners - those who are starting to build
                          their careers/reputation in the field.

                          > This would somehow help eliminate the "unnecessaries" like
                          messages we don't recognize to be truly for ACA professionals.

                          > This message shows ACA has now a distinct direction and the BOD
                          members showing "finite" identities.

                          > Shouldn't ACA now restrict its membership to those whom
                          the "Officers" believe are worthy to be part of their group?

                        • Julie Heindel
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 7, 2006
                            Perhaps it's time to move along and start talking about something else for a while...

                            Vern, I am also a recent communications graduate  - Congratulations on your graduation! I learned of the Americomm website in a Littlejohn and Foss text (I think that was the text).  Anyway, it was recommended as a place where primarily academics and other interested parties exchanged thoughts and ideas about communication issues and theories - I thought that sounded like fun!

                            Personally, I am interested in hearing about what types of communications others are interested in, what they are researching, and what type of publications folks are working on...I am hoping to learn and grow from being a member of this unique and potentially valuable melting pot of individuals.

                            So, let's set aside our squabbles and irritations about netticate and the annoying "remove me's" and focus on some worthy sharing of the vast amount of communication knowledge that I hope we all tuned in for in the first place.

                            Thanks,

                            Julie

                          • scarycreek@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 9, 2006
                              Myrene, I would be happy to reply to your message.  If you will read my message again, you will find that I agreed with your message.  I used your message (list)to demonstrate my frustration with all the 'please remove me' messages and the juvenile commentary that has become so integrated with this website.  Instead of adding my name to a list of 'remove me,' I endeavored to remind people about the wonderful opportunities that this site provide. My intent was not to create a class laden organization with 'intellectuals' and mere 'commoners.' Intellectual pursuits are limited only by the small minds, not PhD and non PhD people.

                              This website is a wonderful idea.  I enjoy reading others' comments regarding communication thoughts and concepts and the opportunity to assist new communication scholars with vital research and writings.  I hope this clarifies my position and your good thoughts.  Regards, Joe

                              --
                              David Benfell
                              benfell@parts-unknown.org

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 11, 2006
                                Dear Joe:

                                My apology. Indeed, I misread your e-mail.

                                Thanks for being professional enough to reply and clarify. I overlooked "I share these thoughts." I must have become cynical about messages that my mind was clouded. I perceived things in the image and ideas that dominated my thoughts at the moment.

                                To be honest, I started to have become negative and was contemplating on quitting... Thanks, again. You lifted my spirit up and let me see the better side of everything.

                                Rest assured, I will carefully read and digest messages with clarity and openness of mind.

                                Thank you,

                                Myrene

                                --
                                David Benfell
                                benfell@parts-unknown.org
                                There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to.
                                [from fortune]

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • josszk
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 12, 2006
                                  Hello! Our big purpose is to do business with all kinds of people in
                                  the world.
                                  We are Jiangsu Tailai Reductor Co., Ltd from China. We supply gear
                                  reducer with good quality and low price.
                                  If you have these items falling within the business scope of our
                                  corporation, we shall be pleased to enter into business relations
                                  with you at an early date.
                                  We have achieved in the development and manufacture of eight series
                                  of speed reducer and hydraulic motor, like cylindrical gears, medium-
                                  hard tooth flank, hard tooth flank, cycloidal-pin wheel, circular-arc
                                  worm and worm wheel, tri-circle, electric rolling cylinder, modular
                                  gear, falling into more than one hundred thousand types.
                                  We are a corporation specializing in the export of gear reducer and
                                  are in a position to accept orders against customer¡¯s samples
                                  specifying design, specifications and packaging requirements.
                                  Contact: Mr. William zhang
                                  Tel: 0086-523-7565988
                                  Fax: 0086-523-7566000
                                  Mobile: 0086(0)15961008888
                                  E-mail: Josszk@...
                                  Contact: Mr. Joss
                                  Tel: 0086-523-7565988
                                  Fax: 0086-523-7566000
                                  Mobile: 0086(0)13809015171
                                  E-mail: Josszk@...
                                • josszk
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 12, 2006

                                    --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Julie Heindel <talk2me00@...>

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 12, 2006

                                      --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, "Vernon" <humphrey_vernon@...>

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 12, 2006

                                        wrote:

                                        > With this, I seem to see that we are now on the move to put ACA
                                        members at two levels: 1) the group of intellectuals - those who have
                                        the resources and capabilities for conferences, publication and
                                        journal; and, 2) the commoners - those who are starting to build
                                        their careers/reputation in the field.

                                        > This would somehow help eliminate the "unnecessaries" like
                                        messages we don't recognize to be truly for ACA professionals.

                                        > This message shows ACA has now a distinct direction and the BOD
                                        members showing "finite" identities.

                                        > Shouldn't ACA now restrict its membership to those whom
                                        the "Officers" believe are worthy to be part of their group?

                                        > James L Owen <jowen@...> wrote:
                                        > Hi Ty: To my recollection, some time ago we set things up
                                        so that individuals can become a member of the "Chat List" or they
                                        can simply become a member of the "Major Announcements List." Is this
                                        choice still available to all of us? Can you clarify this for
                                        everyone? I do not want to be a member of the chat list, but I most
                                        certainly want to be a member of the list that announces conferences,
                                        publication of our journal, elections, etc. My guess is that a lot of
                                        the people requesting to unsubscribe have similar interests. I do
                                        want to take you up on your offer to unsubscribe me from the "chat
                                        list," but I want to be sure that I'm still included on
                                        the "announcements list."

                                        > Best, Jim
                                        >
                                        > ________________________________

                                      • josszk
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 12, 2006

                                          wrote:

                                          > simply block us off from your list. That's all you have to do.
                                          >
                                          > James L Owen <jowen@...> wrote: Hi Ty: To my recollection,
                                          some time ago we set things up so that individuals can become a
                                          member of the "Chat List" or they can simply become a member of
                                          the "Major Announcements List." Is this choice still available to all
                                          of us? Can you clarify this for everyone? I do not want to be a
                                          member of the chat list, but I most certainly want to be a member of
                                          the list that announces conferences, publication of our journal,
                                          elections, etc. My guess is that a lot of the people requesting to
                                          unsubscribe have similar interests. I do want to take you up on your
                                          offer to unsubscribe me from the "chat list," but I want to be sure
                                          that I'm still included on the "announcements list."

                                          > Best, Jim
                                          >
                                          > ________________________________

                                          Great rates starting at 1?min.

                                        • Jana Nikuljska
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 12, 2006
                                            Hello!
                                            I am receiving this "offer" in a form of a reply to messages with other subject topics several times during this month.

                                            I would like to ask if it is necessary?

                                            I am a novice in this forum - still figuring it out and my initial impression was that the listserv is for academic discussions, experience and information sharing (to which I would like to start contributing), but rarely for so many continous "advertising".

                                            I don't wnat to be missinterpreted - those new in this field, like myself, may lack experience but not inspiration and readyness to start gaining experience.

                                            It is not a critique just a comment.

                                            I see interesting opportunities but I still am not able to experience them fully and start contributing.

                                            Any suggestions from those "older"?

                                            Cheers!

                                            Jana Nikuljska
                                            On 10/12/06, josszk <josszk@...> wrote:
[...]

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                                Individual Email | Traditional

                                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                                mailto:americancomm-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                mailto: americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                          • Dale Cyphert
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 12, 2006
                                              Mr. Joss is also new to the group and has not yet learned the protocol.
                                              We try to be patient with each other...even us "old" folks screw
                                              things up now and then.

                                              We OUGHT to be able to chastise each other with love and get on with our
                                              lives. This is difficult enough in a stable, face-to-face community but
                                              often turns out to be impossible in a virtual community. People just
                                              delete or unsubscribe without giving the necessary correction. Or,
                                              perhaps even worse, they lash out with something other than love.

                                              In any case, I appreciate your very kind note of correction. I hope Mr.
                                              Joss will take the correction with love and quit posting the
                                              advertisments.

                                              Not that we don't appreciate knowing about gear reducers...as Ann said,
                                              learning a little something new can't hurt a bit. On the other hand,
                                              they are not a particularly popular topic of conversation!

                                              Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
                                              Associate Professor and Interim Head
                                              Department of Management
                                              University of Northern Iowa
                                              1227 W.27th Street
                                              Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
                                              (319) 273-6150
                                              dale.cyphert@...

                                              Jana Nikuljska wrote:

                                              > Hello!
                                              > I am receiving this "offer" in a form of a reply to messages with other
                                              > subject topics several times during this month.
                                              >

                                              > I would like to ask if it is necessary?
                                              >
                                              > I am a novice in this forum - still figuring it out and my initial
                                              > impression was that the listserv is for academic discussions, experience
                                              > and information sharing (to which I would like to start contributing),
                                              > but rarely for so many continous "advertising".
                                              >
                                              > I don't wnat to be missinterpreted - those new in this field, like
                                              > myself, may lack experience but not inspiration and readyness to start
                                              > gaining experience.
                                              >
                                              > It is not a critique just a comment.
                                              >
                                              > I see interesting opportunities but I still am not able to experience
                                              > them fully and start contributing.
                                              >
                                              > Any suggestions from those "older"?
                                              >
                                              > Cheers!
                                              >
                                              > Jana Nikuljska
                                              > On 10/12/06, *josszk* <josszk@... <mailto:josszk@...>>
                                              > wrote:
                                              >
                                              > Hello! Our big purpose is to do business with all kinds of people in
                                              > the world.
                                              > We are Jiangsu Tailai Reductor Co., Ltd from China. We supply gear
                                              > reducer with good quality and low price.
                                              > If you have these items falling within the business scope of our
                                              > corporation, we shall be pleased to enter into business relations
                                              > with you at an early date.
                                              > We have achieved in the development and manufacture of eight series
                                              > of speed reducer and hydraulic motor, like cylindrical gears, medium-
                                              > hard tooth flank, hard tooth flank, cycloidal-pin wheel, circular-arc
                                              > worm and worm wheel, tri-circle, electric rolling cylinder, modular
                                              > gear, falling into more than one hundred thousand types.
                                              > We are a corporation specializing in the export of gear reducer and
                                              > are in a position to accept orders against customer¡¯s samples
                                              > specifying design, specifications and packaging requirements.
                                              > Contact: Mr. William zhang
                                              > Tel: 0086-523-7565988
                                              > Fax: 0086-523-7566000
                                              > Mobile: 0086(0)15961008888