Re: [americancomm] Call for Board Members

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 19, 2013
      I also would like to continue on with my active involvement with ACA as Board Member. I am currently the ACA Secretary. My big dream and  hope  for ACA is that we can improve on our cohesiveness through communication and collaboration. I would like to support the initiatives of improving our By Laws and the suggestions to improve on our communication and collaboration "tools."
      Myrene A. Magabo
      Instructor of Communication, Penn State University
      COM Faculty, University of Phoenix

      From: drjparker@...
      Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:42:04 -0500
      Subject: [americancomm] Call for Board Members

      July 1 is the date for the installation of a new Board of Directors. In order to be on the Board of Directors it is required that people state their intention to be on the board and give their reasons for doing do.

      Please do not ask to be on the board if you do not intend to participate in board meetings (which are held online and help with activities of the group)

      In the coming year we need to make some revisions in the Rules of Order and perhaps the By Laws. We also want to take a look at the accreditation standards.

      Anyone presently serving on the board that wishes to continue needs to state their intention in a email to this list serv (Yahoo group) as well as any person wishing to serve on the board for the first time or to rejoin the board after time away.

      I will submit a list of everyone who is requesting membership on June 28th for approval by the membership. Board Members are approved unless there is an objection. After the board is established it will meet to determine officers for next year.

      Sincerely,

      Jim Parker
      President

      --
      ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead

    • Jenny Korn
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
        I am a doctoral student who would like to represent student interests on the board of the American Communication Association. My bio is below. Thank you!

        Hailing from Alabama via Thailand, Jenny Korn has attended Princeton, Harvard, and Northwestern, and is now at UIC, where she has received an outstanding graduate student award from her department of communication and two leadership awards from the university. I would like to serve as a student board member because I aim to make a positive difference in my academic home of ACA. As a life member of the American Communication Association, my commitment to ACA is long-term. As a student board member, I will actively seek student feedback and represent student interests. I will also help to organize a student social at our annual conference. When I am not researching race and gender within online identities, I am training to complete my sixth triathlon this summer and my first marathon this fall. For more information about me, please feel free to connect with me via Facebook at http://facebook.com/JenKorn or via Twitter @JennyKorn. I look forward to this opportunity to give back to an organization that provides so much to all of us.

        With appreciation,
        Jenny Korn

      • Philip Auter
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
          On behalf of Pete DeCaro, who is a member of ACA, but who is having trouble with posting to the Yahoo group.

          Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:51:30 -0800
          Subject: Board member
          To ACA,
          I would like to be considered as a new BOD member for ACA. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I was past President twice and the 1st Executive Director. I have been affiliated with ACA since 1998. I was a co-creator (with Ty Adams) of the 1st international conference sponsored by ACA, ICA, and the Universidad St. Martin de Porres in Lima, Peru in 2006 and the Mexico Conference in 2008. It is my intent, if approved, to become very active with the organization, as I was in years past. Please consider me for the board once again.
          Thank you,
          Pete DeCaro

          --
          Peter A. DeCaro, Ph.D.
          Emeritus, California State University, Stanislaus

          Philip J. Auter

            Phone: (337) 366-0266
            SMS:   (337) 366-0266
            Email:  philauter@...

          To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 20, 2013
            My name is Keith Boepple, and I believe I bring a unique perspective to the ACA as a board member.  I am a practioner, not a university or college professor.  I am a professional public speaker by training.  I base my seminars and speeches on sound communication theory.  I am endeavoring to teach other speakers to study the theory of communication to improve their speaking skills.

            I joined ACA because I believe scholars and praticioners have much to learn from each other.  I believe the ACA is the best place for these two groups to come together.

            The accreditation program of the ACA, the online journal, the free and open discussions the ACA offers - these are strengths of this organization.  I believe the ACA needs to reach into every university and college we can.  I believe the ACA should find a way to recognize high school students going into university or college as a communication student to help and encourage them in this vital area of study.  I believe the ACA can sponsor teacher exchanges between our members (IE: as Guest Speakers or Guest Teachers) to foster cooperation and learning.  I believe the ACA has barely tapped our potential as an organization.  We have so much room to grow, and we can do so.

            I would like to be a board member of this organization to help it reach the heights it can attain.

            Keith Boepple
            Ft. Worth, TX
          • crux31504
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 22, 2013
              I am Anita McDaniel.  I have served as editor for ACJ for the last three years and would like to continue membership on the board.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 22, 2013
                Hello everyone,

                I responded yesterday directly from yahoo group since I did not receive an email through my email address. My name is John Malala and I would like to continue to serve on the Board.

                In the last two years I was able to solve the issues of website hosting, domain registration, account migration, setup, etc...for the American Communication Association and for the American Communication Journal. I've always managed to fix technical problems whenever they are brought to my attention, unless I have any health concern or that I'm traveling overseas.

                There's still work to be done, and this is the reason why I want to work towards a better communication apparatus. I also recently worked with a team for an ACA accreditation, and would like to help strengthen the process to make ACA more respectable.

                Thanks for your consideration.

                John Malala, PhD
                Associate Professor, New Media
                Nicholson School of Communication
                University of Central Florida
                Orlando, Florida 32816
              • Dr. Fazal Malik
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 22, 2013
                  Dear all,
                  Like John I didn't get an email after I responded to the call for BOD members.
                  I'm resending the message I posted 19th of June.
                  I would like to continue to serve on the ACA Board of Directors for the next AY.  Though I have participated in most of the online meetings and contributed to accreditation discussions/decisions , I would like strengthen and extend ACA's engagement with the academic fraternity and media institution in the Middle East.
                  Thank you.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                    Hello everybody,

                    Doug Picirillo here. I have served on the ACA board, and as President and Vice President in the past. I helped build the first version of the free, online Public Speaking textbook. Most recently, I attended the ACA conference in Lafayette, Louisiana. That was my third ACA conference. All have been valuable on many levels and fun in different ways. I'm a Management / IT consultant based in the metropolitan Chicago area and an adjunct business instructor and curriculum writer at Trinity International University (REACH program), in Deerfield, Illinois. I would like to serve on the Board of Directors again for the upcoming service year. Specifically, I'd like to pitch in on technology needs and help plan an exciting 2014 conference.

                    --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Jim Parker <drjparker@...> wrote:

                    > July 1 is the date for the installation of a new Board of Directors. In
                    > order to be on the Board of Directors it is required that people state
                    > their intention to be on the board and give their reasons for doing do.
                    >
                    > Please do not ask to be on the board if you do not intend to participate in
                    > board meetings (which are held online and help with activities of the group)
                    >
                    > In the coming year we need to make some revisions in the Rules of Order and
                    > perhaps the By Laws. We also want to take a look at the accreditation
                    > standards.
                    >
                    > Anyone presently serving on the board that wishes to continue needs to
                    > state their intention in a email to this list serv (Yahoo group) as well as
                    > any person wishing to serve on the board for the first time or to rejoin
                    > the board after time away.
                    >
                    > I will submit a list of everyone who is requesting membership on June 28th
                    > for approval by the membership. Board Members are approved unless there is
                    > an objection. After the board is established it will meet to determine
                    > officers for next year.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > Jim Parker
                    > President

                  • Saddam Tufail
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 20, 2015

                    Dear Jim Parker

                    Thank you for your email, i wish i could nominate myself or some fellow for ACA members of the board directors, but i am not clear about my membership status in ACA.

                    I would like to thank Prof. Philip J. Auter for introducing me with ACA.

                    For your information i am a senior television anchor, journalist, producer and analyst. Currently i am affiliated with Express News as Anchor/Producer and PTV (Pakistan Television Corporation) as Media Analyst. Please find my resume enclosed for further details. I would love to contribute for ACA in any possible way.

                    Look forward for further updates.

                    Best
                    Saddam Tufail Hashmi
                    Anchor/Producer, Express TV channel Karachi Pakistan
                    News Analyst , Pakistan Television Corporation
                    Ex Member Governing Body Karachi Press Club
                    Cell : +923458234302
                    Twitter: SaddamTufail1
                    Facebook: saddam.t.hashmi