Re: [americancomm] Hello, everyone. New here.

  • Stogsdill, Steve
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 10, 2013
      Thank you Myrene.
      As another Public Speaking instructor I'd be interested to hear about what you all are doing in this regard. After nearly 20 years of using the same basic format, I'm ready to think about what I can do differently. What I use is working, but could certainly use improving.
      Steve Stogsdill,
      HSU

      On Apr 9, 2013, at 4:12 PM, Myrene Magabo wrote:

      Wynn, welcome aboard!
      I am also teaching Public Speaking. If you are interested in the idea of panel presentation and discussion on the Assessment Methods used in Public Speaking, we can probably have one in line with the May 29 to April 2, 2013 ACA Conference. I would like to showcase how I use the e-portfolios in the summative assessment of student learning and I use non-traditional methods in the formative assessments. Let me know if you're interested and we'll also find others who would be able to join us. I'd also be happy to provide details.
      Myrene

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
        Hello, Steve!

        I always find wisdom from the old ways, even if I use non-traditional assessment methods for assessments. Who are in the discussion panel for this topic ("Teaching Public Speaking?"). My presentation material is almost complete. If I remember right, there were early initiatives from various ACA members on this. Was it you, Steve? I believe there was Lori too, in it.

        If there is no establish panel yet, I hope we'll be able to have this one. And, I'd like to ask Jim: Should panel discussants write a paper too?

        Thanks,
        Myrene

        I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

        P. Wynn Norman
        Archer, FL

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            americancomm-digest@yahoogroups.com
            americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jim Parker

          --
          ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead
        • Stogsdill, Steve

            I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

            P. Wynn Norman
            Archer, FL

          • Lori V. Roe
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013

              I may have initially expressed an interest, but I will not be able to attend the conference.

              Hope the panel discussion goes well,

              Lori

              cid:image004.jpg@01CDF595.932E7500

              Lori Vallotton Roe