Re: [americancomm] Hello, everyone. New here.

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2013
      Wynn, welcome aboard!
        I am also teaching Public Speaking. If you are interested in the idea of  panel presentation and discussion on the Assessment Methods used in Public Speaking, we can probably have one in line with the May 29 to April 2, 2013 ACA Conference. I would like to showcase how I use the e-portfolios in the summative assessment of student learning and I use non-traditional methods in the formative assessments. Let me know if you're interested and we'll also find others who would be able to join us. I'd also be happy to provide details.
      Myrene

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 10, 2013
        Thank you Myrene.
        As another Public Speaking instructor I'd be interested to hear about what you all are doing in this regard. After nearly 20 years of using the same basic format, I'm ready to think about what I can do differently. What I use is working, but could certainly use improving.
        Steve Stogsdill,
        HSU

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
          Hello, Steve!

          I always find wisdom from the old ways, even if I use non-traditional assessment methods for assessments. Who are in the discussion panel for this topic ("Teaching Public Speaking?"). My presentation material is almost complete. If I remember right, there were early initiatives from various ACA members on this. Was it you, Steve? I believe there was Lori too, in it.

          If there is no establish panel yet, I hope we'll be able to have this one. And, I'd like to ask Jim: Should panel discussants write a paper too?

          Thanks,

            --
            ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead
          • Stogsdill, Steve

              I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

              P. Wynn Norman
              Archer, FL

            • Lori V. Roe
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013

                I may have initially expressed an interest, but I will not be able to attend the conference.

                Hope the panel discussion goes well,

                Lori

                cid:image004.jpg@01CDF595.932E7500

                Lori Vallotton Roe
                Associate Professor of Communication

                Assistant Department Chair

                School of Liberal Arts & Sciences

                Ivy Tech Community College

                2545 Silveus Crossing

                Warsaw, IN  46580

                574-267-5428 ext. 7110

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
                  Thanks, Jim!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
                    Hey, Lori! This is virtual so you don't have to be physically present in the conference.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
                      Lori, I am sure we can work this out even without being physically present in the conference. Would you still be interested for a virtual presentation or panel discussion?