Re: [americancomm] Hello, everyone. New here.

  • Stogsdill, Steve
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9 7:18 AM
      I had the 'joy' of being on an ad hoc committee two years ago as we revised our assessment processes. We academic professionals can sure get bent out of shape about being held accountable for our teaching performance, while demanding our students to meet our own assessments of their performance. I'm curious if the practitioners in the ACA who work 'real world' jobs have the luxury of complaining about how their job evaluation processes work. :)
      Steve Stogsdill,
      Hardin-Simmons University

      Welcome! Assessment is a hot area right now; my provost recently told us we are living in the "age of assessment." Many colleagues see it as busy work. Sometimes I agree with them, but other times I appreciate being able to point to measurable progress. Hope you enjoy ACA! Jon

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9 10:27 AM
        Welcome to the ACA. Instructional design is a passion of mine as well.
        Though, I have a double concentration in Organizational Communication (in addition to PR). So what are your specific goals for membership within the ACA?

        Zachory Cook
        Helena, MT.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9 2:12 PM
          Wynn, welcome aboard!
            I am also teaching Public Speaking. If you are interested in the idea of  panel presentation and discussion on the Assessment Methods used in Public Speaking, we can probably have one in line with the May 29 to April 2, 2013 ACA Conference. I would like to showcase how I use the e-portfolios in the summative assessment of student learning and I use non-traditional methods in the formative assessments. Let me know if you're interested and we'll also find others who would be able to join us. I'd also be happy to provide details.
          Myrene

          I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

          P. Wynn Norman
          Archer, FL

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              americancomm-digest@yahoogroups.com
              americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Stogsdill, Steve
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10 9:33 AM
            Thank you Myrene.
            As another Public Speaking instructor I'd be interested to hear about what you all are doing in this regard. After nearly 20 years of using the same basic format, I'm ready to think about what I can do differently. What I use is working, but could certainly use improving.
            Steve Stogsdill,
            HSU

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11 12:26 AM
              Hello, Steve!

              I always find wisdom from the old ways, even if I use non-traditional assessment methods for assessments. Who are in the discussion panel for this topic ("Teaching Public Speaking?"). My presentation material is almost complete. If I remember right, there were early initiatives from various ACA members on this. Was it you, Steve? I believe there was Lori too, in it.

              If there is no establish panel yet, I hope we'll be able to have this one. And, I'd like to ask Jim: Should panel discussants write a paper too?

              Thanks,

                --
                ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead
              • Stogsdill, Steve

                  I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

                  P. Wynn Norman
                  Archer, FL

                • Lori V. Roe
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11 7:21 AM

                    I may have initially expressed an interest, but I will not be able to attend the conference.

                    Hope the panel discussion goes well,

                    Lori

                    cid:image004.jpg@01CDF595.932E7500

                    Lori Vallotton Roe
                    Associate Professor of Communication

                    Assistant Department Chair

                    School of Liberal Arts & Sciences

                    Ivy Tech Community College

                    2545 Silveus Crossing

                    Warsaw, IN  46580

                    574-267-5428 ext. 7110

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 11 10:10 AM
                      Thanks, Jim!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 11 10:12 AM
                        Hey, Lori! This is virtual so you don't have to be physically present in the conference.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 11 10:15 AM
                          Lori, I am sure we can work this out even without being physically present in the conference. Would you still be interested for a virtual presentation or panel discussion?