Re: [americancomm] Hello, everyone. New here.

  • Stogsdill, Steve
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 8, 2013
      Welcome.
      Sounds like we have some things in common as generalists and experience.
      Steve Stogsdill,
      HSU
      Abilene, Texas

      On Apr 8, 2013, at 10:29 AM, P. Wynn Norman wrote:

      I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

      P. Wynn Norman
      Archer, FL
    • Jon Ru

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2013
          I had the 'joy' of being on an ad hoc committee two years ago as we revised our assessment processes. We academic professionals can sure get bent out of shape about being held accountable for our teaching performance, while demanding our students to meet our own assessments of their performance. I'm curious if the practitioners in the ACA who work 'real world' jobs have the luxury of complaining about how their job evaluation processes work. :)
          Steve Stogsdill,
          Hardin-Simmons University

          Welcome! Assessment is a hot area right now; my provost recently told us we are living in the "age of assessment." Many colleagues see it as busy work. Sometimes I agree with them, but other times I appreciate being able to point to measurable progress. Hope you enjoy ACA! Jon

          I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

          P. Wynn Norman
          Archer, FL
        • Zachory
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 9, 2013
            Welcome to the ACA. Instructional design is a passion of mine as well.
            Though, I have a double concentration in Organizational Communication (in addition to PR). So what are your specific goals for membership within the ACA?

            Zachory Cook
            Helena, MT.

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 9, 2013
              Wynn, welcome aboard!
                I am also teaching Public Speaking. If you are interested in the idea of  panel presentation and discussion on the Assessment Methods used in Public Speaking, we can probably have one in line with the May 29 to April 2, 2013 ACA Conference. I would like to showcase how I use the e-portfolios in the summative assessment of student learning and I use non-traditional methods in the formative assessments. Let me know if you're interested and we'll also find others who would be able to join us. I'd also be happy to provide details.
              Myrene

              I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

              P. Wynn Norman
              Archer, FL

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  americancomm-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Stogsdill, Steve
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 10, 2013
                Thank you Myrene.
                As another Public Speaking instructor I'd be interested to hear about what you all are doing in this regard. After nearly 20 years of using the same basic format, I'm ready to think about what I can do differently. What I use is working, but could certainly use improving.
                Steve Stogsdill,
                HSU

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
                  Hello, Steve!

                  I always find wisdom from the old ways, even if I use non-traditional assessment methods for assessments. Who are in the discussion panel for this topic ("Teaching Public Speaking?"). My presentation material is almost complete. If I remember right, there were early initiatives from various ACA members on this. Was it you, Steve? I believe there was Lori too, in it.

                  If there is no establish panel yet, I hope we'll be able to have this one. And, I'd like to ask Jim: Should panel discussants write a paper too?

                  Thanks,

                    --
                    ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead
                  • Stogsdill, Steve

                      I'm an academic, but have been on something of a hiatus since my father got alzhiemers. I consider myself a "true" (whatever that means, of course!) communication generalist with a public relations emphasis and a lot of experience teaching public speaking, too. I am most interested in designing and assessing outcomes in higher education communication courses.

                      P. Wynn Norman
                      Archer, FL

                    • Lori V. Roe
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013

                        I may have initially expressed an interest, but I will not be able to attend the conference.

                        Hope the panel discussion goes well,

                        Lori

                        cid:image004.jpg@01CDF595.932E7500

                        Lori Vallotton Roe
                        Associate Professor of Communication

                        Assistant Department Chair

                        School of Liberal Arts & Sciences

                        Ivy Tech Community College

                        2545 Silveus Crossing

                        Warsaw, IN  46580

                        574-267-5428 ext. 7110

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
                          Thanks, Jim!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
                            Hey, Lori! This is virtual so you don't have to be physically present in the conference.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 11, 2013
                              Lori, I am sure we can work this out even without being physically present in the conference. Would you still be interested for a virtual presentation or panel discussion?