Basic Communication Course for Occupational Programs

  • Jennifer Ott
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
      Dear colleagues,
      I've been asked to consider developing a basic communication course that would meet the needs of some occupational programs our community college offers. Currently, occupational students take our interpersonal communication course which does not emphasize workplace interactions like customer service interactions, brief and concise email or narrative workplace writing, and so on. (Instead our course focuses primarily, if not solely, on family, romantic relationships, friendships, etc. with attention to applied theoretical and research writing.)

      So, my question is this--does your institution (or one you know of) offer a course like this? If so, can you provide details about the course? Again, this would be a basic course (100-level with no writing prerequisites) and the focus would be on basic communication (effective, appropriate) in an occupational setting with customers, managers, and so on. (Not business communication, not solely customer service like a business department might offer, etc.)

      Thanks again for your time and expertise.

      Jenny Ott
      Chair, Communications Department
      Kalamazoo Valley Community College
      Kalamazoo, MI 49003-4070
      269-488-4287 (office)
      jott@...

      ~Empathy~Connectedness~Communication~Developer~Positivity~Activator~Strategic~Achiever~Discipline~Futuristic

      Note: This email is meant solely for the recipient(s) to whom I have addressed it. I would appreciate it if you would obtain my permission before forwarding any email from me to others who were not originally intended to receive a message (or response) from me. Thanks!

    • K. Walker
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
        Jenny,

        I am not up to speed on course curriculums that are currently instituted, however I would smile on the opportunity to put something together. I have 10+ years in the field and have done quite a bit of consulting, on and off the clock.

        Let me know.

        Kaila S. Walker
        LinkedIn: Kaila S. Walker
      • Jennifer Ott
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
          Thank you for the recent feedback some of you have provided in response to my inquiry related to a basic communication course specifically for occupational programs. I apologize if my email sounded like an offer to create the course for our college and our department. This is a task that falls on our full-time faculty's shoulders, and thus my point was simply to elicit feedback from anyone that has a course "out there" about how it works, if it works, and so on as our department decides whether or not to create our own course ourselves at our college, for our college.

          Sincerely, Jenny Ott

          Jenny Ott
          Chair, Communications Department
          Kalamazoo Valley Community College
          Kalamazoo, MI 49003-4070
          269-488-4287 (office)
          jott@...

          ~Empathy~Connectedness~Communication~Developer~Positivity~Activator~Strategic~Achiever~Discipline~Futuristic

          Note: This email is meant solely for the recipient(s) to whom I have addressed it. I would appreciate it if you would obtain my permission before forwarding any email from me to others who were not originally intended to receive a message (or response) from me. Thanks!

          >>> "emuakpeje franklin" 02/05/13 3:10 AM >>>

          I am very much interested in putting something together. Thanks

          Emuakpeje-----
          Sent via Nokia Email

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
            It is time for this shift to communicating within the occupations!

            Kim

            --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Ott" wrote:

            > Dear colleagues,
            > I've been asked to consider developing a basic communication course that would meet the needs of some occupational programs our community college offers. Currently, occupational students take our interpersonal communication course which does not emphasize workplace interactions like customer service interactions, brief and concise email or narrative workplace writing, and so on. (Instead our course focuses primarily, if not solely, on family, romantic relationships, friendships, etc. with attention to applied theoretical and research writing.)
            >
            > So, my question is this--does your institution (or one you know of) offer a course like this? If so, can you provide details about the course? Again, this would be a basic course (100-level with no writing prerequisites) and the focus would be on basic communication (effective, appropriate) in an occupational setting with customers, managers, and so on. (Not business communication, not solely customer service like a business department might offer, etc.)
            >
            > Thanks again for your time and expertise.
            >

            > Jenny Ott
            > Chair, Communications Department
            > Kalamazoo Valley Community College
            > Kalamazoo, MI 49003-4070
            > 269-488-4287 (office)
            > jott@...
            >
            > ~Empathy~Connectedness~Communication~Developer~Positivity~Activator~Strategic~Achiever~Discipline~Futuristic
            >
            > Note: This email is meant solely for the recipient(s) to whom I have addressed it. I would appreciate it if you would obtain my permission before forwarding any email from me to others who were not originally intended to receive a message (or response) from me. Thanks!

          • Rodney Merrill
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11 12:44 PM

              I think this is very important. It would make a good continuing education class for new managers as well.

              Rodney

              It is time for this shift to communicating within the occupations!

              Kim

              --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Ott" wrote:

              > Dear colleagues,
              > I've been asked to consider developing a basic communication course that would meet the needs of some occupational programs our community college offers. Currently, occupational students take our interpersonal communication course which does not emphasize workplace interactions like customer service interactions, brief and concise email or narrative workplace writing, and so on. (Instead our course focuses primarily, if not solely, on family, romantic relationships, friendships, etc. with attention to applied theoretical and research writing.)
              >
              > So, my question is this--does your institution (or one you know of) offer a course like this? If so, can you provide details about the course? Again, this would be a basic course (100-level with no writing prerequisites) and the focus would be on basic communication (effective, appropriate) in an occupational setting with customers, managers, and so on. (Not business communication, not solely customer service like a business department might offer, etc.)
              >
              > Thanks again for your time and expertise.
              >

              > Jenny Ott
              > Chair, Communications Department
              > Kalamazoo Valley Community College
              > Kalamazoo, MI 49003-4070
              > 269-488-4287 (office)
              > jott@...
              >
              > ~Empathy~Connectedness~Communication~Developer~Positivity~Activator~Strategic~Achiever~Discipline~Futuristic
              >
              > Note: This email is meant solely for the recipient(s) to whom I have addressed it. I would appreciate it if you would obtain my permission before forwarding any email from me to others who were not originally intended to receive a message (or response) from me. Thanks!

            • Stogsdill, Steve
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 12 8:34 PM
                Sounds interesting. Good concept. I got to teach a Speech for Technical Professionals course during grad studies work at Texas A&M. Most of the students were engineering students so we focused on making clear presentations of technical information. Mostly it was typical public speaking with emphasis on PowerPoint skills.
                I think what you are talking about makes more sense. Keep us updated.
                Steve Stogsdill
                Hardin-Simmons University