Prior Learning Credit for Public Speaking Course

  • Jennifer Ott
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22 11:53 AM
      Dear colleagues,

      I've been asked to review our department's prior learning credit course equivalencies and I would like your feedback and experience in regard to accepting the "Dale Carnegie Training Course" as a Public Speaking course equivalent. (On a student's transcript our public speaking course credit only would show, rather than the course & credit accompanied by a "Prior Learning Credit Award" statement.) The American Council on Education (ACE), as well as the Dale Carnegie Training materials state a "Dale Carnegie Course" should be granted college transfer credit by American colleges and universities as a three semester credit hours course in Communication or Speech.

      Since ACE & Dale Carnegie Training also suggest that graduates of their classes be granted college transfer credit for their other courses, if you have experience with prior learning and "Carnegie", can you share these experiences? Here's what the materials I have say:
      -Dale Carnegie Course: 3 semester credit hrs. in Communication or Speech
      -Dale Carnegie Sales Advantage: 2 sem. cred. hrs. in Sales or Marketing
      -D. C. Leadership Training for Managers: 2 sem. cred. hrs. in Leadership or Management
      -D.C. High Impact Presentations: 1 sem. cred. hr. in Speech or Oral Communication
      -D.C. Generation Next: -1 sem. cred. hr. in Communication, Speech, or Interpersonal Skills

      Thank you for your feedback and assistance.

      Jenny Ott
      Chair, Communications Department
      Kalamazoo Valley Community College
      Kalamazoo, MI 49003-4070
      269-488-4287 (office)
      jott@...

      ~Empathy~Connectedness~Communication~Developer~Positivity~Activator~Strategic~Achiever~Discipline~Futuristic

      Note: This email is meant solely for the recipient(s) to whom I have addressed it. I would appreciate it if you would obtain my permission before forwarding any email from me to others who were not originally intended to receive a message (or response) from me. Thanks!

    • Audrey Curry
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22 1:55 PM
        We will not accept the Dale Carnegie Course as a substitute for our Public Speaking course at Odessa College, in Odessa, Texas.
        Audrey Curry
        Chair of Speech
        Odessa College