Yahoo and China

  • Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006

      Wired News Report 10:15 AM Jun, 02, 2006

      The union representing journalists in Great Britain and Ireland called on its 40,000 members to boycott all Yahoo products and services to protest the internet company's reported actions in China.

      The National Union of Journalists said it sent a letter on Friday to Dominique Vidal, Yahoo Europe's vice president, denouncing the company for allegedly providing information to Chinese authorities about journalists. The union also said it would stop using all Yahoo-operated services.

      Yahoo has been cited in court decisions as supplying China's government with information to help them identify, prosecute and jail writers advocating democracy.

      A Yahoo representative in San Francisco could not immediately be reached. Yahoo chairman and chief executive Terry Semel said last month the company had no choice but to comply with local laws and did not have the power to change Chinese policy. He added that he was seeking help from the U.S. government to urge China to allow more media freedom.

      The company has been accused by the NUJ and other journalism groups of providing records that led to an eight-year prison term for Li Zhi for discussing pro-democracy issues in a web forum and of helping identify Shi Tao, who was sentenced to prison for 10 years for forwarding a government e-mail to the foreign press.

      --
      Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D.
      Richard D'Aquin Associate Professor of Journalism and Communications
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
        Press freedom is under increasing threats? (big) Web
        holders are supposed to promote such freedom rather than
        ralliy againt journalist (writers) as the report shows.

        But will protest like the one called by NUJ help solve the
        problem?

        In my Country, Malawi, journalists are hassled for writing
        about gov ills or gov officials misbeh. Demonstrations have
        been held but the harrassment continues.

        I believe the solution should be writing more about such
        oppression including the ills of aiding our foes.

        Thanks for the report.

        Kapoloma
        For super low premiums, click here http://www.webmail.co.za/dd.pwm

        http://www.webmail.co.za the South African FREE email service
      • Dan Garon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
          Message
          ...and yet we continue to bash the company while using their own free Yahoo groups service. Anybody smell the irony?

          ----
          Dan Garon
          Press Advance
          http://www.pressadvance.com