Music industry jobs for those with Communication degrees?

  • only_numba_1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011
      Though it's not my first career choice, I am very interested in having a career in the music industry doing something that's behind the scenes (such as artist promotion or marketing).

      Are those jobs hard to get nowadays?
    • Thomas Duncanson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2011
        Hi!

        I work in a university with majors in Commercial Music and Music Business.  Plus, many of our Communication majors are refugees from music or theatre programs who would like to work in arts management.

        And my unpaid extra job is as managing agent for my son's nationally-internationally touring band ( http;//www.kilbornalley.com ).  So, I have a lot of point of view on this question.

        And one of the things that always strikes me hardest is not to trust points of view on these matters, because no one has a handle on something as large and ubiquitous and obscure as a marketplace for any skill or interest or service or product.

        But that disclaimer given, the biographies of people in the music biz do not lie:  the people who get in this and stay in it never answered an ad for a corporate job listing, all got in it for love, volunteering, working obscene hours for dubious remuneration, cultivating relationships with artists-venues-labels-media, being tremendously shrewd about opportunities to move up and make money.

        I encourage people to do it, especially if they have gifts for being told "No," for figuring out imaginative solutions to what other people consider to be hopeless nuisances, and if they love the music and musicians and appreciate but do not operate out of the artists' perspectives.

        Best

        Tom

        Tom Duncanson
        Millikin University

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message along with any included attachments may contain information that is confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee,) you may not use, copy, or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation.