RE: [americancomm] virtual public speaking textbook

  • Lori V. Roe
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 30 3:57 PM

      Good News!  Using a free, etext in our classes is NOT in violation of our bookstore contract. Yipee!!! So, I have forwarded the link to our text to all Communication chairs at all 23 of our campuses. J

      Lori Roe

      Assistant Professor of Communication

      Ivy Tech Community College

      3755 Lake City Highway

      Warsaw, IN  46580

      574-267-5428 ext. 6135

      Pronto ID: lroe

      From: lroe@...
      Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:01:56 -0400

      Phil,

      We are such a large system, I am not sure of the actual policy. I need to dig deeper. But, that is what I was told initially.

      Lori

      Lori Roe

      Assistant Professor of Communication

      Ivy Tech Community College

      2521 Industrial Parkway

      Elkhart, IN  46516

      574-293-4657 ext. 4210

      Pronto ID: lroe

        That's a unique policy. What administrator told you that this would violate an agreement with the bookstore?  We at UL are free to choose any book we wish -- or no book at all.  Using the free textbook would be the equivalent of using no textbook fiscally.

        I recommend to my students all the time to buy their books from Amazon rather than the university bookstore or Follets.  They get better service and a better price.

        Phil Auter

         Philip J. Auter, Ph.D.

          Associate Professor of Communication

          Hubert Bourgeois Endowed Professor in Communication

          Executive Director, American Communication Association

          www.americancomm.org

        University of Louisiana at Lafayette

        Department of Communication

        Burke-Hawthorne Hall, Room 135

        P.O. Box 43650

        Lafayette, LA 70504

        Phone:  (337) 482-6106

        Fax:       (337) 482-6104

        Email: auter@...

        Web: www.auter.tv

        > To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com
        > From: lroe@...
        > Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:31:54 -0400
        > Subject: RE: [americancomm] virtual public speaking textbook
        >
        > Tyrone and all,
        >
        > I wanted to use the online public speaking text in my courses as supplemental materials. When I asked if I could post the link for my students, I was told it violated our agreement with Follett bookstore with whom we (all 23 campuses of Ivy Tech) have a contract. Why would students purchase a book when they can get one for free? "Exactly!" was my response, but I guess corporate profit is still more important than student success and savings.
        >
        > I will continue to push for our textbook, but I have to get on the right committee to make the change. Wish me luck!
        >
        > Lori
        > _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
        > Lori V. Roe
        > Assistant Professor of Communication
        > Ivy Tech Community College
        > 2521 Industrial Parkway
        > Elkhart, IN 46516
        > 574-293-4657 ext. 4210
        > Pronto ID: lroe

        Richard D'Aquin Endowed Professor of Journalism and Communication
        University of Louisiana, Lafayette
        College of Liberal Arts
        Department of Communication
        113A Burke-Hawthorne Hall