Jocks

  • nurul wara
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2010
      Son: Why are all these people running?
      Father: This is a race; the winner will get the cup.
      Son: If only winner will get the cup, why are others running???

    • Najme Khatami
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
        It is interesting how humor differs from one culture to another one.
        For example, I barely find American jokes funny and my American friends think our jokes are very bitter rather than funny.
        My conclusion; do not use Iranian humor as an ice breaking tool in USA, at least not with Americans.  :)

        --
        Najme KHATAMI
      • Ellen Taricani
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
          Good point on humor.  I think it is interesting too as I travel.  I suppose our words are powerful and have meaning within our groups.  I even notice it with different friends and age differences.
          Ellen

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
            This is the kind of joke that I enjoy a lot. I hope you like it too.

            http://www.ted.com/talks/maz_jobrani_make_jokes_not_bombs.html

            :)

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
              As Najme indicated Jokes in one culture does not translated appropriately to
              another culture. One may tolerate these Jokes if among friends. Do not use
              them if you are in real intimate relationships. As an Iranian American
              definitely I do not joke at the same time I do not enjoy other culture
              (American)jokes either. They do not make any sense to me. I am sure mine do
              not make sense to American either. Sad! Healthy life is in humor!!! :(

              --Sheida

              Quoting Najme Khatami <nkhat002@...>:

              > This is the kind of joke that I enjoy a lot. I hope you like it too.
              >
              > http://www.ted.com/talks/maz_jobrani_make_jokes_not_bombs.html
              >
              > <http://www.ted.com/talks/maz_jobrani_make_jokes_not_bombs.html>:)
              >

              > On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Ellen Taricani <etaricani@...>
              > wrote> :
              >

              > > Good point on humor. I think it is interesting too as I travel. I
              > suppo> se
              > > our words are powerful and have meaning within our groups. I even
              > notice> it
              > > with different friends and age differences.
              > > Ellen

              Sheida Shirvani, Ph.D
              Professor, Communication Studies Dept.
              Academic Division Coordinator, OUZ
              Vice-President, OCA
              Ohio University Zanesville
              1425 Newark Rd.
              Zanesville, Ohio 43701
              740-588-1499
              Fax: 740-453-6161
              "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson
              afterwards." Unknown
              "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your
              attitude." Maya Angelou
            • Diana
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 24, 2010
                Very true, even for culutures that, on the surface, speak the same language. I have to watch myself when I switch from my Guatemalan relatives to my Puerto Rican ones and vice vers-what's funny to one is offensive or just silly to the other. Dangerous!

                Diana

                --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Sheida Shirvani <shirvani@...> wrote:

                > As Najme indicated Jokes in one culture does not translated appropriately to
                > another culture. One may tolerate these Jokes if among friends. Do not use
                > them if you are in real intimate relationships. As an Iranian American
                > definitely I do not joke at the same time I do not enjoy other culture
                > (American)jokes either. They do not make any sense to me. I am sure mine do
                > not make sense to American either. Sad! Healthy life is in humor!!! :(
                >
                > --Sheida
                >
                > Quoting Najme Khatami <nkhat002@...>:
                >
                > > This is the kind of joke that I enjoy a lot. I hope you like it too.
                > >
                > > http://www.ted.com/talks/maz_jobrani_make_jokes_not_bombs.html
                > >
                > > <http://www.ted.com/talks/maz_jobrani_make_jokes_not_bombs.html>:)
                > >

                > > On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Ellen Taricani <etaricani@...>
                > > wrote> :
                > >

                > > > Good point on humor. I think it is interesting too as I travel. I
                > > suppo> se
                > > > our words are powerful and have meaning within our groups. I even
                > > notice> it
                > > > with different friends and age differences.
                > > > Ellen

              • Liz Seegert
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 24, 2010
                  I definitely agree - I do health communications and there are many, many different beliefs and interpretations about health among different cultures; living in culturally diverse NYC  poses a tremendous challenge to patient education.

                  Liz