Re: [americancomm] thoughts

  • Keith Boepple
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 13, 2010
      Tyrone,

      Yes, it is really cool that you are reaching out to me.  Understand, I am reaching out to you also. It is a start.

      Dunkin Donuts?  I miss Canada alot when you say that.  Give me T. Horton's anyday.

      Keith Boepple

      On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:48 PM, TYRONE ADAMS, PH.D. <theswampboy@...> wrote:

      You are so dead-on, Keith, there's a serious gap between the academy (gown) and reality (town) that has always existed.  But, hey, did you think about the fact that I now talk to you instead of not reaching out to you really cool?  I mean, we're trying to make that exact contact you now describe more real.  There's room for both theorist and practitioner in ACA.  What would really scare the shit out of many is if ACA started taking on corporate sponsors like NASCAR does and start making a corporate presence by endowing scholars more -- personally, I wouldn't mind being the Endowed Professor of Dunkin' Donuts International...........

      On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Keith Boepple <keboepple@...> wrote:

      Tyrone,

      There are times I feel a bit out of place in ACA.  While I have over 30 years of experience in Communications, I do not have my PhD nor my Masters.  I was perfecting my skills on the worldwide mission field.  I came home, got my teacher certification in Communication and have been looking for work ever since.  I am 49 years old now, and believe that Communication is the key to understanding between cultures.

      I see Communications Teachers teaching with no solid knowledge of the depth of the field they teach in.  I see teachers with low communication skills themselves.  I see people of faith not being able to discuss their differences because they are not taught the basics of effective communication.

      What I want ACA to do is aid in changing these areas.  I think ACA should work to bridge the gaps in our own community between those who have Ph.Ds and those who have tons of life experience as communicators without having the degrees.

      That is a start.  My concern is that, if I do submit something, I will be derided because I do not have the Ph.D others have.  I don't have a degree because I have spent the majority of my life in the field of a communications educator.  I know I have something to contribute.

      Keith Boepple
      On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM, TYRONE ADAMS, PH.D. <theswampboy@...> wrote:

      Keith,

      For me, it was simple.  I wanted to build an ACA website and the Board let me.  I wanted to build the ACJournal, and the board let me.  I wanted to host some conferences, and the Board let me.  I wanted to build a free online textbook, and the Board let me.  What kind of vision do you have for ACA?  Or would you rather serve on the BODirectors and function in a committee capacity?

      In other words, ask yourself your question -- how do I participate?  Bring your idea to the BoD, and showcase it.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the support you'll get.

      Still slightly right of anarchy, but listening to Kings of Leon right now.  Great sound!

      Ty

      On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:04 PM, <keboepple@...> wrote:

      How do I participate?

      Keith Boepple

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 14, 2010
          Tyrone if i organize a conference (here in India) what all is to be done for ACA.

          Sumangal Haldar
          Lecturer / Soft Skill Trainer
          SRM College of Engineering and Management.

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 14, 2010
            You are absolutely right Keith: "Effective communication research is effective communication practice".Nice to read this !!

          • keboepple@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 14, 2010
              Tyrone,

              I am versed in interpersonal and intercultural communication skills, business communication, promotional communication, public speaking and the evaluation of all forms of written and spoken forms of communication. I also tutor and give presentations on interview skills. I have given presentarions on how good commuication skills leads to team building and effective management/leadership. The group I have started with a partner is seeking to do help as many people as we can to become more effective communicators in every walk of life.

              Keith Boepple

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 14, 2010
                Keith,
                I would suggest that you submit a presentation for our conference in the fall.  It would be great for you to come and share with us.
                Ellen Taricani
                ACA President

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 14, 2010
                  Ellen,
                  I would enjoy giving a presentation at the convention. Is there a list of what presentations have been done before?

                  Keith Boepple

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                    As a child and in my adolescence i can vaguely, if not clearly, remember that elders whenever we made a wrong choice of words and topics in communicating with others were reminded ( reprimanded ) to THINK BEFORE SPEAKING. It was a common quote then, because not only the elders in my family but in others too i could overhear this phrase being used.

                    Nowadays, as i grew up to be a mature man and a father to an eight month old son, i do not hear this phrase so commonly used anymore (my son is too young to tell it to him). I even dont know whether i would use it with my son or not?

                    Well i just became inquisitive whether you all can remember any such thing or not just wanting to know what it is across cultures.

                    YOU CAN REPLY

                    Sumangal Haldar
                    Lecturer / Soft Skill Trainer
                    SRM College of Engineering and Management.

                  • Pat Clark
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                      I was always told this as a child, along with the "that is why you have two ears and only one mouth, so you can listen more than you speak." You are right that you do not hear it much these days.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                        I was always told something similar to what Pat mentioned too. Watch, listen, learn.
                        There is definitely less of that going on today, it seems. Perhaps because of the Internet many people feel they are “instant experts” on whatever the topic du jour is. But I was also told, “a little knowledge can be dangerous..."

                        Liz Seegert, MSP
                        Healthcare Ink
                        718-229-5730

                        On Jul 15, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Pat Clark wrote:

[...]

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           americancomm-digest@yahoogroups.com
                           americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • TYRONE ADAMS, PH.D.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                          Keith and everyone,

                          For a long time, ACA has mostly been inhabited by academics.  But, times are definitely changing and changing for the better.  More and more practitioners are getting on board.  I agree with Ellen, here.  If you or anybody wants to get more involved in ACA the best way to do that is through a conference.  It'll give you face-to-face access to the Board of Directors, and moreover, let you see just how open and free-flowing the Association truly is.  I've been on a personal healing hiatus here for about 2 years now, and it is starting to show signs of fruit.  Divorce, bankruptcy, lost my kids, a few other things along the way including my mind.  But, this community is full of real, caring and supportive people who in each of their own ways have helped me emerge stronger as a result of the difficulties I endured.  I consider them, mostly, family.  You should think about joining this cause, too, which I must admit is larger than the sum of it's parts.  Heck, everyone should.  We're no good unless we stick together, and their remains a bond among the die-hard ACA bretheren that is formidable.  Taste and see...

                          Tyrone Adams, Ph.D.
                          University of Louisiana, Lafayette

                          soon to be in Kazakhstan

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                            Tyrone,

                            Well spoken. I would enjoy working with you someday. Maybe we can give a presentation together - "Gown To Town, How to make ACA stronger by bridging the gap between academics and practioners in the field of communication".

                            Keith Boepple

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                              Keith,

                              I'd love to.  But, right now, I am preparing to put everything in storage at the end of this semester and go to Kazakhstan this January 2011 -- for who knows how long...  Would that I could, but maybe one of the other good colleagues understands the link between gown and town, and will coauthor something with you.  I suggest Ellen as ACA President, actually.  She understands this need, very well, and is a great human being.

                              Ty

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                                Thanks Ty!!

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                                  Ellen,

                                  Would you be open to taking up Ty's suggestion?

                                  Keith Boepple

                                  Thanks Ty!!

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 10 6:39 PM

                                    ACA,

                                    You know, in 1995, Steve Smith of the University of Arkansas and about 10 very good scholars decided to incorporate ACA with a very novel idea -- create a "no dues" Communication Association that celebrated free speech and activism for the online world.  The history of that idea has morphed and twisted over the years, based largely on the ideas and leadership of whoever wanted to do something "cool" for the Association.  The real problem is that many of you out there -- WHO ARE SKILLED AND VERSATILE COMMUNICATORS -- are simply not stepping up to the plate with gifts for the Association.  It is like you are waiting for somebody to do something for you.  In short, I dare say that the membership is passive, if not lazy.  I call them like I see them.  And, I use colorful language sometimes to get my point across.  Call me unprofessional...  I've been called worse.  But, I get things done.  Like it or not.  So, there.

                                    In 1996, the Board of Directors commissioned me as the first Editor of the American Communication Journal (http://www.ac-journal.org).  I worked closely with Dr. Jim Kuypers (then at Dartmouth, now at Virginia Tech) to create a POWERFUL presence online with the discipline's first online journal.  It alomst killed our friendship, we worked so hard on it.  By all accounts, that project has been a total success.  The journal -- check it out for yourself and see -- has articles mirrored throughout the world in Chinese, German, Dutch, Spanish, etc.  ACJ is a live and vibrant part of ACA, and is really the signature piece of the Association.  But, is that really it?  Is that all we are going to do?  Really?

                                    No.  I say to you: NO!!!  There is more work to be done to bring this community together.  And, if you are on this listserv, it is YOUR responsibility to serve.  To volunteer.  To serve your discipline.  If you don't do that, then you really aren't a member.  You are a mere lurker, who adds (or does not add) their membership as a CV line on their vitae.  And, what good is that?  It is far better to give, than it is to receive.  Right?  C'mon people!!!   Wake up!!!

                                    In 1999, we got the idea to level the playing field for our students -- throughout the world.  Why let the "pimps" of NCA (the textbook publishers) keep profiting on our knowledge and work at mere 15% royalty rates.  And moreover, why let the "prostitutes" (the key textbook writers) continue to *sell their wares* at outrageous costs to our students?  $120 for a textbook that is outdated in print within 2-3 years, only for (yet) another useless updated *new edition* (which only assures "new" textbook sales, making old versions obsolete).  YOU CALCULATE THE COSTS!!!  THINK ABOUT IT!  Assume a $100 speech communication "public speaking" textbook in a class [new purchase] X 25 students in a class.  That's $2500.  Right?  Then, assume 10 sections of public speaking a semester X 3 semesters = $25,000 a semester X 3 semesters (Fall, Spring, and Summer) = $75,000 that our students have to pay, just to take the course.  Multiply that by 1000 institutions of higher education, please.  And that's just U.S. institutions -- you are looking at a GROSS INTAKE $75,000,000 MILLION!  The Public Speaking Project that Dr. Lisa Schreiber (Millersville University) has taken on is no small feat.  We are talking about a revolutionary idea, that has direct profit consequences for major publishing houses.  And guess what?  If we self-organize, we CAN DO IT BETTER than the textbook companies.

                                    Now, I am a paper textbook author, myself.  I have three textbooks out.  So, I am also blowing off my foot with this loaded gun -- because I dare say that I'll never get another paper textbook contract, nor have my editions go into 2nd runs, because of my advocacy.  But, the logic is clear.  It is certain.  What escapes me is WHY other out there are not proposing textbooks -- under the ACA flag -- in Mass Communication, or Public Relations, or Advertising, or Media Studies...  Why are we being so complacent?  Why are we being silent while our students and colleagues are being ***raped*** by this outdated paper textbook and paper journal publishing model?  I have no idea.  I haven't the first clue.  With all the technology at our disposal, why aren't we creating journal after journal, book after book, and setting it FREE online for all teachers, students, and campuses to benefit?

                                    And another thing: WHAT exactly does a dues-paying Association give to you?  They take your $150 for membership every year; they take your $200 convention fee every year; and they don't change their publication models!  The force of tradition is so strong in academe it makes me want to vomit.  In the face of the most powerful revolution to date -- the Information Revolution -- we are allowing ourselves to be the pawns in a very outdated paradigm.  And who loses?  Inevitably us, and then the students.

                                    If you all can continue to look at the faces of your students and justify them having to buy $100 books X 5 classes a semester just to keep people who buy you an occasional nice lunch a semester, that's your business.  But, I can home grow this shit, and make a superior product in the wake, and deliver it FREE to the world.  We all can.  Imagine what would happen if we had some people out here contribute their language translation skills to these projects...

                                    ...just think about it.  And then, ask yourself -- isn't it worth the time to get involved?  Or, does watching TV really excite you that much?

                                    There are 1000 ideas waiting to be expressed on this board.  1000 projects to be launched by ACA.  1000 gifts to give faculty and students.  1000 good things that can be accomplished.

                                    And, yet, we sit here and remain silent while the intellectual genocide continues.

                                    Very frustrating.  Speak up, or you get exactly what you deserve!

                                    Tyrone Leeman Adams, Ph.D.
                                    Professor of Communication
                                    Department of Communication
                                    The University of Louisiana
                                    P.O. Box 43650
                                    Lafayette, LA  70504-3650
                                    United States of America (USA)

                                    Professional email: tyadams@...
                                    Personal email: leemanadams@...
                                    Website: www.tyroneadams.com
                                    Office voice: 337.482.6103
                                    Facsimile: 337.482.6104
                                    Mobile: 337.255.0175 (SMS international-enabled)
                                    Skype ID: leeman.adams (by appointment only)

                                    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

                                  • Dale Cyphert
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 10 7:57 PM
                                      Ty,
                                      It is so good to have you back on shore!  Let's do get on with things!!

                                      hugs....
                                      dale

                                      Dale Cyphert, PhD
                                      Associate Professor of Management
                                      Director, Professional Readiness Program
                                      College of Business Administration
                                      Curris Business Building 5F
                                      University of Northern Iowa
                                      1227 W. 27th Street
                                      Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
                                      (319) 273-6150
                                      dale.cyphert@...

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 10 7:59 PM
                                        Tyrone,

                                        You are receiving a loud and long standing ovation from me! It is not only other scholars who need the ACA.  I consider myself a practioner.  I use my understanding of communication to reach into the hearts, souls, and minds of my audiences and my students. The main reason I have such high success at this is because I am grounded in a solid foundation of scholarly understanding of how communication works, why it works the way it does.  That gives me an edge few practiioners have or even begin to utilize.  The ACJ is a wealth of knowledge that I turn around and use on a daily basis.

                                        Get involved people.  Look around you.  The ACA has the answers to so many issues facing effective communication.  We need your ideas to grow.  We must have your active participation to get those answers out.  Jump in, join in.

                                        Keith Boepple