a question to the group

  • TYRONE ADAMS, PH.D.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 17, 2010

      ACAers,

      Looks like I'm slated to begin a Fulbright overseas in Kazakhstan come January of 2011.  Anyone out there have any intel (off-list) on living in Almaty, Kazakhstan?  I should be there for a year's time, maybe longer, working at the Kazakhstan Institute of Management, Economics, and Strategic Research as the Director of a New Media Center ($4 million USD grant by ExxonMobil and the EU).

      Please write to theswampboy@... with information on life matters and KIMEP intel.

      --
      Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D.
      Endowed Professor of Journalism and Communication
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 22, 2010

        A question for all of you:

        Anyone who knows the origin(s) about why people use "Dear All" in the Modern-day Biz World? Is that really acceptable, albeit people use it that way?

        Lots of people in the States do not agree the usage...

        thanks,

        Lorry

      • debmetsfan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 22, 2010
          I work for a French company and they use Dear All when addressing more than a few people.

          Debbie

          In a message dated 6/22/2010 8:03:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lorry_luo@... writes:

          A question for all of you:

          Anyone who knows the origin(s) about why people use "Dear All" in the Modern-day Biz World? Is that really acceptable, albeit people use it that way?

          Lots of people in the States do not agree the usage...

          thanks,

          Lorry

          Debbie Salerno
          COB/President/Founder
          East Coast Maine Coon Rescue
          www.ecmcr.org

          I GoodSearch & GoodShop for East Coast Maine Coon Rescue!

          Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com
        • Jon Paulson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 22, 2010

            “Dear All” is better than “Hey Folks”.  I think it is a good salutation because it is relatively formal, but avoids gender and class issues.

            Jon Paulson

            Program Director for General Education

            Center for Undergraduate Studies

            Walden University

            712-560-1658 (h/o)

            712-574-7290 (c)

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 22, 2010

              Lots of people in / from the States do not agree to use "Dear All". As they said, that is a quite informal usage. They would like to use like "Hello Staff", "Dear Colleagues" instead of "Dear All".

              I used to work in InterContinental Hotels Group and we also use "Dear All" when we would like to send emails to all staff in the company.

              So, what usage do you prefer to adopt when you would like to send email(s) to all staff in the company?

              Cheers,

              Lorry

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 22, 2010

                I think it depends on the nature of the message: Sometimes I would use “Dear Colleagues”, sometimes “Good Morning” or sometimes “Know, o Prince…” or even

                “Hear this, you elders; listen, all who live in the land. Has anything like this ever happened in your days or in the days of your forefathers?”   But only on special occasions…(It may not be “business formal”, but I’ll bet you would read the memo.)

                Jon

                (with apologies to Robert E. Howard and the Prophet Joel…)

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 22, 2010
                  Points taken. Thanks Jon. To my way of thinking, we can not say that "Dear All" is a wrong expression, although it seems quite informal. With the fast development of modern-day biz world, perhaps people have got used to making the informal formal...

                  Lorry

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 23, 2010
                      Jon

                      I personally agree with you.
                      Sometime we don't know or don't bother about gender, otherwise, we need to write Dear Ladies/Gentlemen or Dear Sir/Madam...

                      Thank you.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 23, 2010

                        Lorry,

                        I agree with Jon. The appropriate salutation depends on the audience and the nature of the message. The more serious the message, the more formality is required.

                        I have used “Hello, All,” before. It also lets everyone receiving the email know that other people have been copied, especially if you blind copy the recipient list for privacy.

                        Just my thoughts . . .

                        Lori

                        Lori Roe

                        Assistant Professor of Communication

                        Ivy Tech Community College

                        2521 Industrial Parkway

                        Elkhart, IN  46516

                        574-293-4657 ext. 4210

                        Pronto ID: lroe

                      • keboepple@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 23, 2010
                          I use "Dear Whom it May Concern" for letters where I have no information as to name or gender. When writing to a group of people I know (IE: leaders of Toastmaster clubs I oversee), I will list each persons' name or write "Dear Club Presidents".
                          Another thought: I think the line between "formal" and "informal" writing is being blurred. This is the result of text messaging and services such as Twitter.

                          Keith Boepple
                          Keboep Communications

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 23, 2010
                            And both "Dear All" and "Hello All" are so much more personable than the formal alternative, "To whom it may concern"!

                            Pat in NYC
                            On Jun 23, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Lori V. Roe wrote:

                            > Lorry,
                            >

                            > I agree with Jon. The appropriate salutation depends on the audience and the nature of the message. The more serious the message, the more formality is required.
                            >

                            > I have used “Hello, All,” before. It also lets everyone receiving the email know that other people have been copied, especially if you blind copy the recipient list for privacy.
                            >

                            > Just my thoughts . . .
                            >

                            > Lori
                            >

                            > Lori Roe
                            >
                            > Assistant Professor of Communication
                            >
                            > Ivy Tech Community College
                            >
                            > 2521 Industrial Parkway
                            >
                            > Elkhart, IN 46516
                            >
                            > 574-293-4657 ext. 4210
                            >
                            > Pronto ID: lroe

                            Patricia S. Rudden
                            President
                            Alumni Association of Hunter College
                            695 Park Ave.
                            New York NY 10065
                            212 396 6537
                          • Thomas Duncanson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 23, 2010
                              Dear ACA friends

                              I have dedicated much of my life studying the "speech thought" of Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy.  He was determined that one of the most crucial functions of human communication is the address-- I think he might say, though he is dead and cannot be asked-- the address (something like Jakobson's conative function; also Grace Andrus de Laguna on the attention gaining, attention maintaining function of speech) is more important than the information in a message.  It is the address that calls one into being as a creature worthy of address, as a being expected to respond with one's deeds.  ERH thought address is the most basic grammatical unit of sociality, of our possibility for joint and collective action.

                              I confess, and I mean this in the sweetest, most understanding of ways, all of you who do not bother to address me in your e-mails, strike me as under-socialized, as little seeds of chaos, as symptoms of the bone-headed modernism that says we will come together, if at all, voluntarily out of a consonance of "opinions" derived from shared information.  In much of what I receive via e-mail who I am, my role, my obligation, does not exist; the thing is just an information dump instead of a call to join together to make a safer, saner world.  Who could be surprised when the reaction is either indifference or flaming verbal reprisal?

                              "Dear All" feels to me to be a compromise between a world where individuals ARE addressed, and an arena of mass communication.  I think it relevant that CRITICAL STUDIES IN MASS COMMUNICATION was renamed CRITICAL STUDIES IN MEDIA COMMUNICATION.  The new media are interesting, but not nearly "mass."  How does one address a group of impersonal dimension, varied status and role?

                              Tom

                              Tom Duncanson
                              Millikin University

                              CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message along with any included attachments may contain information that is confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee,) you may not use, copy, or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation.

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  americancomm-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Ken
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 23, 2010
                                I see that as a growing trend, which will probably escalate as the "net generation" begins to enter the workforce en masse.

                                I deal with a certain bank and my designated rep. tends to preface e-mails with a "Hey Ken,". It was a tad disconcerting as first, but I didn't deem it as a big deal at the end of the day.