theory for internet use

  • nita_anaz
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
      dear all. my name is anita puspitasari and i am a new member of the
      american comm. association. first, i would like to say 'hello' to
      all other members :)

      i am currently undergoing undergraduate final thesis about internet
      use. and i am really really lost since i am not allowed to use mass
      communication theories such as Hypodermic Needle, Magic Bullet and
      Spiral of Silence for my research. My lecturer said that those are
      theories for mass media use, whereas internet - as we all already
      know- is a machine-mediated-communication that not only serve as
      mass media, but also the media for interpersonal communications
      (chatting, Friendster messaging, etc.

      Please send me any suggestion, ideas or anything... just anything
      bout theory for the use of internet.
      I would appreciate and your help could really mean a life saver for
      me!
      thank you so much,
      anita
      true@...

      Ps: the title of my thesis is "The Use of Internet and its Relations
      to Social Behavior (and Personality) of User". just to let you
      know :)
    • Rebecca Hatcher

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
          Hi Anita,

          I love your thesis title. I think that it's going to require a bit of work, but it will make for an interesting paper. I've often wondered about the similarities between Internet users. Obviously, we are all extremely different, but we share one common thread--we all use the Internet. But that's my curiosity coming out. Not much to base a paper on!

          Why not create your own theory based on how people adapt their personalities to chat/discussion boards? I could point you to a few very active discussion forums where the face some show to the "real" world are completely opposite those they show online.

          If that's something you'd be interested in researching, send me an email and I'll forward some links to you. Good luck with the paper!

          Lori

          Lori Widmer
          Publisher
          Risk Factor
          A product of LDW Publishing
          Valley Forge, PA
          (610) 933-7980
          www.ldwpublishing.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006

            FYI – an examination of CMC (computer mediated communication) via chat rooms won the ’04 graduate student award with the Carolinas Communication Association (I won their ’05 award) and is posted online.  That’s certainly one resource to use.

            Most colleges have online access to a lot of academic journals, that is another good start.  As a graduate student, I’m learning a lot about those resources these days.

            -earlcapps

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
              Anita, I'm currently enrolled in the MSC Program at Northwestern University. Last semester we completed a course called Network Mediated Communication (MSC 518), taught by professor Brian Nielsen. More info can be found at:

              Check it out - you may want to even get in touch with Brian - he's very passionate about this topic.

              nita_anaz <true@...> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Mail

            • nita_anaz
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2006
                thank you so much tim,

                you are very helpful :)

                --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Tim Wrobel <twrobel39@...>
                wrote:

                > Anita, I'm currently enrolled in the MSC Program at Northwestern
                University. Last semester we completed a course called Network
                Mediated Communication (MSC 518), taught by professor Brian Nielsen.
                More info can be found at:

                > http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/mscstrategy/courses/
                >
                > Check it out - you may want to even get in touch with Brian -
                he's very passionate about this topic.

                > nita_anaz <true@...> wrote:
                > dear all. my name is anita puspitasari and i am a new member of
                the
                > american comm. association. first, i would like to say 'hello' to
                > all other members :)
                >
                > i am currently undergoing undergraduate final thesis about
                internet
                > use. and i am really really lost since i am not allowed to use
                mass
                > communication theories such as Hypodermic Needle, Magic Bullet and
                > Spiral of Silence for my research. My lecturer said that those are
                > theories for mass media use, whereas internet - as we all already
                > know- is a machine-mediated-communication that not only serve as
                > mass media, but also the media for interpersonal communications
                > (chatting, Friendster messaging, etc.
                >
                > Please send me any suggestion, ideas or anything... just anything
                > bout theory for the use of internet.
                > I would appreciate and your help could really mean a life saver
                for
                > me!
                > thank you so much,
                > anita
                > true@...
                >
                > Ps: the title of my thesis is "The Use of Internet and its
                Relations
                > to Social Behavior (and Personality) of User". just to let you
                > know :)

                > Home school education School education in california
                Graduate school education Middle school education New york
                school education High school education

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Yahoo! Mail

              • Madhu
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2006
                  Hi Anita,

                  Good to see you here. I am also very new to the group. But I have
                  contacted Peter Homden who teaches at the School of Art, Media &
                  Design, University of Gloucestershire in the UK, who could be of some
                  help to you. His maild id is phomden@.... You can get in touch
                  with him. He is in India at this moment and should be taking some time
                  to respond to you. all the best in your search and thesis.

                  --
                  With warm regards,

                  Madhu Mohan
                  email: madhu.tirukkoveluru@...