Salutations!

  • Mary H
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 11, 2010
      Good day!

      I am Mary Hudson of Orange County, California. I am excited about joining this group and hope to be able to contribute as well as acquire ideas and information.

      I am currently not employed because I am finishing my degree in Human Communications with a wild seven-class semester that leaves little room for anything beyond course work, forensics competition, teach-assisting, assisting S.C.U.D.L. (Southern California Urban Debate League), and the most important thing in my life, which are my four daughters, my gorgeous grandson, and my amazing husband.

      I am interested in forensics as a means to improve and perhaps save the vanishing art of face-to-face communication (texting will ruin us all!). I am researching silence and American attitudes toward silence in communication as well as the impact of our multi-tasking culture on our on meaningful human communication.

      Now that you know more about me than you ever wanted to know, I will close with an invitation to all. I would love to hear your thoughts on any topic!

      Wonderful days to you all,
      Mary
    • Lori V. Roe
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 11, 2010
        Mary,

        Halloooooo and welcome! Your interests sound very interesting. I hope we will have an opportunity to discuss these further.

        Lori
        _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
        Lori V. Roe
        Assistant Professor of Communication
        Ivy Tech Community College
        2521 Industrial Parkway
        Elkhart, IN 46516
        574-293-4657 ext. 4210
        Pronto ID: lroe

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 15, 2010
          Mary,

          Your ideas on silence are intriguing to me.  I have been wondering why people in the USA seem (I use this word because I have no proof people are afraid of silence) so afraid of silence.  I wonder if that "seeming fear" (as I call it) is why kids in school have so much trouble being quiet:  the fear of it is passed from parent to children - directly or indirectly.  I see this "seeming fear" in many songs.  Instead of a nice quiet interlude with simply instruments, more and more singers feel they have to fill the interlude with "La La La's" or some other type of none word vocals.  I see this "seeming fear" intrude on people in the various worship services I attend as people have trouble simply letting a quiet, peaceful moment wash over them.

          I would enjoy discussing this with you and others on this group.

          Keith Boepple
          Fort Worth, TX

          On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Lori V. Roe <lroe@...> wrote:
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             americancomm-digest@yahoogroups.com
             americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Dale Cyphert
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 15, 2010
            Keith,
            It's the same thing that "says" introverts are shy or backward or
            antisocial. We do have, without a doubt, a cultural bias to reward
            extraverts. There a bit of interesting work on the "communication bias"
            of our culture, although Gerry Phillipsen's Nacirema work is the only
            thing I can think off the top of my head.

            dale

            Dale Cyphert, PhD
            Associate Professor
            Department of Management
            University of Northern Iowa
            1227 W. 27th Street
            Cedar Falls, IA 50614-1025
            319-273-6150
            dale.cyphert@...

            Keith Boepple wrote:

            > Mary,
            >
            > Your ideas on silence are intriguing to me. I have been wondering why
            > people in the USA seem (I use this word because I have no proof people
            > are afraid of silence) so afraid of silence. I wonder if that "seeming
            > fear" (as I call it) is why kids in school have so much trouble being
            > quiet: the fear of it is passed from parent to children - directly or
            > indirectly. I see this "seeming fear" in many songs. Instead of a nice
            > quiet interlude with simply instruments, more and more singers feel they
            > have to fill the interlude with "La La La's" or some other type of none
            > word vocals. I see this "seeming fear" intrude on people in the various
            > worship services I attend as people have trouble simply letting a quiet,
            > peaceful moment wash over them.
            >
            > I would enjoy discussing this with you and others on this group.
            >
            > Keith Boepple
            > Fort Worth, TX
            >

            > On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Lori V. Roe <lroe@...
            > <mailto:lroe@...>> wrote:
            >
            > Mary,
            >
            > Halloooooo and welcome! Your interests sound very interesting. I
            > hope we will have an opportunity to discuss these further.
            >
            > Lori
            > _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
            > Lori V. Roe
            > Assistant Professor of Communication
            > Ivy Tech Community College
            > 2521 Industrial Parkway
            > Elkhart, IN 46516
            > 574-293-4657 ext. 4210
            > Pronto ID: lroe
            > SQ: Ideation – Communication – Strategic – Relator - Learner
            > From: americancomm@yahoogroups.com

          • terry garvin
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 16, 2010
              In my much-younger-days, I was a radio announcer (although we were referred to as disc jockeys).  I was told in on-the-job training that silence on-air was anathema.  Any moments of silence gave listeners the opportunity to reach out and change the channel; so, we were to keep talking between songs.  Silence was never golden.  I think that that fill-the-air-time mentality has infected the entire culture.  While driving, the radio is always there to occupy our minds.  Now, iPods assure us that we don't have to be alone even when walking, etc away from our cars.  We expect music and commenary to surround us during every waking hour (just like in the sound-tracked movies).

              I, also, have an interest in your topic of silence.

              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
              Lori V. Roe
              Assistant Professor of Communication
              Ivy Tech Community College
              2521 Industrial Parkway
              Elkhart, IN  46516
               574-293-4657  574-293-4657 ext. 4210
              Pronto ID: lroe

                 http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/americanco mm/join
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 americancomm- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                 americancomm- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                 http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

            • sagactor Art Lynch
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 16, 2010
                I remain in radio, part time. Silence is now format appropriate (examples classical radio, some public radio).

                Test your classroom sometime my imposing, even with an explanation as to why, silence.  It will not last long. The need for constant stimulation is that great!

                Also, and tied to, is the need for media and multiple media source stimulation.

                -Art Lynch
                http://artlynch.org

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 16, 2010

                  There is a Radio Lab  podcast from April 7, 2009, entitled In Silence. Interesting, considering this thread. You can search for it at the website: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/.

                  Lori Roe

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 16, 2010

                    _________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 16, 2010
                      John Cage has always been my silence hero.  Here's a full orchestral version of 4'33"

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

                      and here's some of his commentary on sound and silence.  "The sound of silence is traffic."

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcHnL7aS64Y

                    • sumangal haldar
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 18, 2010
                        Within the oriental cultural system silence is really an important factor in various types of communication. Silence is required by persons who introspect, who meditate, who participate in intrapersonal communication.

                        Sumangal Haldar
                        Lecturer / Soft Skill Trainer
                        SRM College of Engineering and Management.

                        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____________ _________ _________ _________ _______

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 18, 2010
                          I think silence is required more in interpersonal communication also.  I teach communications through seminars, one-on-one tutoring, workshops, and in the classroom settings.  One of the methods I teach is:  when you are asked a question, count to 5, then answer.  That 5 seconds of silence gives you a chance to think, and garners anticipation as to what you are going to say.  The students/clients who use this method have answered questions with greater depth and insight.

                          Silence is a wonderful tool in interpersonal and intrapersonal communications.

                          Keith Boepple
                          Keboep Communications

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 18, 2010
                            Sometimes the right word is no word. On occasion we need to remain silent and
                            let the other person talk. We have heard this statement� the first one to talk
                            after the close loses.� After the persuasion process and the final decision is
                            made we need to shut up and keep quite.
                            We also know more communication is not necessarily better persuasion. In fact,
                            the less you talk, the smarter people think you are. The more you say, the more
                            common and less in control you appear.
                            Sometimes we want to impress people with what they know by flaunting all their
                            wisdom, but usually this strategy is just a turn-off. In my humble opinion use
                            of silence is for interpersonal communication. In Media there is another story!

                            --Sheida

                            ompose?to=americancomm@yahoogroups.com>[americancomm@
                            > >> yahoogroups.
                            > com<http://us.mc451.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=american> comm@yahoogroups.com>]
                            > >> On Behalf Of Mary H [mhudson@csu. fullerton.
                            > edu<http://us.mc451.mail.ya> hoo.com/mc/compose?to=mhudson@...>
                            > >> ]
                            > >> Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:28 PM
                            > >> To: americancomm@ yahoogroups.
                            > com<http://us.mc451.mail.yahoo.com/mc/com> pose?to=americancomm@yahoogroups.com>
                            > >> Subject: [americancomm] Salutations!
                            > >>
                            > >> Good day!
                            > >>
                            > >> I am Mary Hudson of Orange County, California. I am excited about
                            > joinin> g
                            > >> this group and hope to be able to contribute as well as acquire
                            > ideas an> d
                            > >> information.
                            > >>
                            > >> I am currently not employed because I am finishing my degree in
                            > Human
                            > >> Communications with a wild seven-class semester that leaves little
                            > room > for
                            > >> anything beyond course work, forensics competition,
                            > teach-assisting,
                            > >> assisting S.C.U.D.L. (Southern California Urban Debate League),
                            > and the > most
                            > >> important thing in my life, which are my four daughters, my
                            > gorgeous
                            > >> grandson, and my amazing husband.
                            > >>
                            > >> I am interested in forensics as a means to improve and perhaps
                            > save the
                            > >> vanishing art of face-to-face communication (texting will ruin us
                            > all!).> I
                            > >> am researching silence and American attitudes toward silence in
                            > >> communication as well as the impact of our multi-tasking culture
                            > on our > on
                            > >> meaningful human communication.
                            > >>
                            > >> Now that you know more about me than you ever wanted to know, I
                            > will clo> se
                            > >> with an invitation to all. I would love to hear your thoughts on
                            > any top> ic!
                            > >>
                            > >> Wonderful days to you all,
                            > >> Mary

                            > > ------------------------------
                            > > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo!
                            > Homepage<http:> //in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_yyi_1/*http://in.yahoo.com/>.

                            Sheida Shirvani, Ph.D
                            Professor, Communication Studies Dept.
                            Academic Division Coordinator, OUZ
                            Vice-President, OCA
                            Ohio University Zanesville
                            1425 Newark Rd.
                            Zanesville, Ohio 43701
                            740-588-1499
                            Fax: 740-453-6161
                            "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson
                            afterwards." Unknown
                            "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your
                            attitude." Maya Angelou
                          • sumangal haldar
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 19, 2010
                              Keith you are right. But, don't you think in every bit of silence between interpersonal communication, intrapersonal communication is following its course. The 'chance to think' is when the repository in minds brings out relative thoughts on the topic in course. The more the thoughts come out the more selection-rejection process continues. One one hand the birth of objective co relatives and on the other hand selection rejection process of those objective corelative... is what? i think it is also a type of intrapersonal communication.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 19, 2010
                                Sumangal,

                                Good point.  Yes, when one takes the time to think it is a form of intrapersonal communication.  Now, let's add this factor to the mix.  I am a Christian - which means I strongly believe in prayer as a form of communication with God.  This also means I strongly believe in the guiding of the Holy Spirit.  There are times, when I take the time to think before speaking, I am taking the time to pray and wait for the guidance of the Holy Spirit as to what to say.  Cycling back to an earlier discussion on this forum, is this then an example of using silence to enhance interpersonal communication through going into a interpersonal communication form (prayer) with a living, involved God?

                                Keith Boepple
                                Keboep Communications

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 20, 2010
                                  Keith,

                                  Praying is a process in which what we have to say reaches God, that is why it has also been referred to as 'sweet savor', fragrance etc. Now when God has to communicate back (answer to our prayers in the form of guidance by Holy Spirit) he uses us only. God cannot be taken as a person so He cannot come under the criteria of inter- personal. At least till we dont meet Him there where He is. That is why in 1Corinthians 13: 12 it is written "Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known". Till Jesus was in this world in flesh and blood interpersonal communication was possible with Him, but after His ascension He has gone beyond the concept of touch. But that does not mean that He does not answer, His answers are very prompt, because He has promised to be with us. But how will He communicate back to us? There is an hint in the Bible- in Romans chapter 2 verse 18 onwards it is written about how human 'became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened', for that very reason 'God gave them over to a debased mind'. Now here 'gave them over' means He had them once, so why would God require to keep our mind, it is clear to be able to talk back to us. He evokes what ever He wants to say to us in our own mind. So it makes it an Intrapersonal process.

                                  I think i have been able to answer what you have asked.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 12 5:18 AM
                                      I, too was a radio DJ! Nice to meet you via the internet :)

                                      Respectfully,
                                      Christian Garzone

                                      www.dailymotion.com/CGarzone