Research Topic about trust on-line strangers

  • Gloria Hsing
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
      Hi fellow members,

      I'm graduate student majoring in computer-mediated-communication. Below is my recent research project - Meet "E-strangers": Factors that affect online trust. I'm not sure whether this topic is too big or too trivial. Could you please give some advice? Thanks a lot! Have a good day!

      Meet "E-strangers": Factors that affect online trust

      In this ever expanded worldwide web, we meet strangers or consume information from strangers almost every time we log in to the Internet. The primary research objective of this study rests on exploring whether Internet users feel difficult when they adapt to a nearly total strangers' Internet world. What factors drive users to trust online strangers? How do users build interpersonal relationships with strangers? Based on the cue-based trust and experienced-based trust theories, this study tries to characterize: (1) cues received from strangers; (2) effects of different kinds of Internet technologies; and (3) users by their personality, culture background, communication behaviors, and past online experiences.

      Gloria
    • Jon Ru
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
        Hi Gloria, it seems big but certainly not trivial.  CMC is a growing research area.  The only part of your proposal blurb that sounded odd to me was "adapt to a nearly total strangers' Internet world."  Why is it their world and not a shared channel/environment?  Good luck with your project!  Jon

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
          Hi Gloria,
          The topic you chose is interesting but I think it is better if you narrow it down a bit as it is a very expanded area.
          For instance you can bind it by the age of the users.
          Good luck
          Nagmeh

          --
          Najme KHATAMI
        • Khaled N
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
            Hi Gloria,
            You can include in your research this question to people rely on the internet for gathering information:
            "Based on your experience to what extent you found that people are trustworthy and honest and how many times and when were you disappointed" .
            I guess this will make it more practical especially if you made it as a survey and come up with numbers
            Best of luck
            Khaled

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
              Gloria,

              Thank you for sharing. I am also a graduate student focusing on CMC, but with a current focus on relational maintenance. How far along are you in your program? And which university do you attend? I would be very interested in communicating further with you about your work and your interests.

              As to your question, the topic is in no way trivial. With more people communicating and meeting online as an alternative (and supplement) to face-to-face, this concept of trust is becoming increasingly relevant. However, you do have to conceptualize it and explain it in a way that demonstrates its importance. I would agree with Jon that "The only part of your proposal blurb that sounded odd to me was "adapt to a nearly total strangers' Internet world." Why is it their world and not a shared channel/environment?" If this is the objective of the study, it needs to be a bit clearer. Can you really characterize the internet as a world for a particular person? and if so, how can that be done? Also, what is the significance of whether individuals experience difficulty? I also agree with Nagmeh that you may want to further narrow your scope. In other words, pick a context and possibly a group to focus on. For example, are people meeting online in a dating website? On common interest forums? In virtual worlds? Etc. Are these people college students? Professionals? Singles? Etc. Which method are you planning to use? I do like the different areas of focus in your point (3); I focus on similar things as well. Your project could be extremely interesting but could also become very large and overwhelming if you let it!

              Best wishes! Looking forward to chatting with you.

              Kayla D. Hales
              PhD Candidate, ABD
              Bunton-Waller Fellow
              http://grads.ist.psu.edu/khales