Re: [americancomm] (unknown)

  • Ellen Taricani
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
      Welcome! What is your area of interest Max?

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009

        Jon:

        You might be interested in Julian Jaynes's The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind (1973).  Much of the work is necessarily speculative, but his arguments focus on how "supernatural beings" were an integral part of the development of both language and civilization.  It is at least an interesting read, even though it is somewhat controversial in the academic community (especially in his own field, psychololgy).  This book was also a significant influence on Neil Stevenson's novel Snow Crash.

        Jon

        Dr. Jon Paulson
        Interim Director of General Education
        Center for Undergraduate Studies
        Walden University
        712-560-1658(h)
        712-291-0144 (c)
      • Dale Cyphert
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
          Julian Jaynes' book is very cool; now I really will have to go read Snow
          Crash, which they say was the brainstorm that launched Second
          Life.....My avatar will be intrigued to find a connection!

          dale (and vicki)

          Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Department of Management
          University of Northern Iowa
          1227 W.27th Street
          Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
          (319) 273-6150
          dale.cyphert@...

          Jon Paulson wrote:

          > Jon:
          >
          > You might be interested in Julian Jaynes's /The Origin of Consciousness
          > in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind/ (1973). Much of the work is
          > necessarily speculative, but his arguments focus on how "supernatural
          > beings" were an integral part of the development of both language and
          > civilization. It is at least an interesting read, even though it is
          > somewhat controversial in the academic community (especially in his own
          > field, psychololgy). This book was also a significant influence on Neil
          > Stevenson's novel /Snow Crash/.
          >
          > Jon
          >
          > Dr. Jon Paulson
          > Interim Director of General Education
          > Center for Undergraduate Studies
          > Walden University
          > 712-560-1658(h)
          > 712-291-0144 (c)

        • Ajay Pollarine
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
            Jon,
            While I am certainly open to the possibility that my own theories on the universe are "wrong" (though I maintain they're only wrong from another's perspective and perfectly fine for me) I've never been able to justify the idea that communications helped create the reality we know, now I am willing to say it helped create the perceptions we have of reality, but I happen to believe that mankind as a species, is a creature that exists on both this reality where we see time and space as hard-coded laws that must be adhered to, and on another wholly different dimension that exists where it is not a fixed law but rather all exists as past, present and future all at once.

            It's our physical self expressing the somewhere locked away knowledge of that other half of our existence that gives us our belief in supernatural things, it's where the mythologies of our world stem from, we communicated between our two halves, and then with each other spreading something we have inside of us that was are somehow both aware and ignorant of at the same time.

            Now, in my own line of belief this is all how I explain my "faith" in a Judeo-Christian God but I am sure that anyone could take that explanation and use it as well, and more power to them if they do.

            No one can decide what's best for you but you and all that jazz.

            Just my thoughts

            Ajay Pollarine

            Cheap. But not as cheap as your mom.

            The Crab do not defend the Wall. The Crab ARE the Wall.

            To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com
            From: jru2797@...
            Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:15:31 -0800
            Subject: [americancomm] Reality and Comm?

            Welcome Max and Ajay!

            Anybody feel like discussing "Social Construction of Reality"?  I don't mean "Communicative Construction of Social Reality," where social structures and patterns like governments and norms or laws are built up through communication.  Instead I'm referring to a much stronger claim, that material reality itself, including all of nature, is not pre-existent but is instead "made real" through communication with others.

            For instance take the "supernatural" angle -- ghosts and spirits and angels and gods etc. are made real and even material via social discussions about them.  Is there a non-discursive base of reality that supernatural discourses must be measured against, or is the reality base itself continually built via discourse?  Or . . .  ?

            I don't have an agenda for this question, it just came up in class today and I'm curious what ACAers think.

            Happy Wednesday!

            Jon

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
              Thank you for welcoming me to the club, Jon. In response to your statements reality is independent of thoughts or discussions. As for supernatural there is much convincing evidence out there it has a basis.

              I am the newest member. I look forward to conversing with you all about our current issues.

            • Max Destin
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
                Thanks you, Ellen. Welcome aboard! My area is computer technology. I would like to see it some day used for making jobs increasing telecommuting and educating purposes. It is heading that way but slowly too slow in my opinion.

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Yes! I am interested Julian Jaynes. I have read a little about the bicameral. Its actually supposed to be obsolete at this time. Thanks Jon Paulson.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Enjoy your read Dale.

                    > Crash, which they say was the brainstorm that launched
                    > Second
                    > Life.....My avatar will be intrigued to find a connection!
                    >
                    > dale (and vicki)
                    >

                    > Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
                    > Associate Professor
                    > Department of Management
                    > University of Northern Iowa
                    > 1227 W.27th Street
                    > Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
                    > (319) 273-6150
                    > dale.cyphert@...
                    >
                    > Jon Paulson wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Jon:
                    > >
                    > > You might be interested in Julian Jaynes's /The Origin
                    > of Consciousness
                    > > in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind/ (1973).
                    > Much of the work is
                    > > necessarily speculative, but his arguments focus on
                    > how "supernatural
                    > > beings" were an integral part of the development of
                    > both language and
                    > > civilization.  It is at least an interesting
                    > read, even though it is
                    > > somewhat controversial in the academic community
                    > (especially in his own
                    > > field, psychololgy).  This book was also a
                    > significant influence on Neil
                    > > Stevenson's novel /Snow Crash/.
                    > >
                    > > Jon
                    > >
                    > > Dr. Jon Paulson
                    > > Interim Director of General Education
                    > > Center for Undergraduate Studies
                    > > Walden University
                    > > 712-560-1658(h)
                    > > 712-291-0144 (c)

                    >     americancomm-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • Max Destin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009
                      That's an interesting outlook, AJay.

                      I am the newest member. I look forward to conversing with you all about our current issues.

                      Windows Live™ Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.

                    • Jon Paulson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 2, 2009

                        Max:

                        I'm not so sure that Jaynes is completely obsolete at this time: he does still have some adherents.  I've been skimming the literature and noting that some recent fMRI research is supposedly supporting some of his ideas.  I will keep you all posted as I continue my research.

                        Jon

                        Dr. Jon Paulson
                        Interim Director of General Education
                        Center for Undergraduate Studies
                        Walden University
                        712-560-1658(h)
                        712-291-0144 (c)

                        Max Destin <comcap3246@...>
                        Sent by: americancomm@yahoogroups.com

                        12/02/2009 04:48 PM

                        Please respond to
                        americancomm@yahoogroups.com

                        americancomm@yahoogroups.com
                        cc

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 4, 2009
                          Thanks Jon that exactly the kind of reference I'm needing.

                          When Kyle Broflovski learns that the Tooth Fairy is not a real being, that he is the victim of a cultural conspiracy, he goes on to question all of reality.  If you don't/didn't know one thing wasn't real, how can you really know you know anything?  Eventually, Kyle truly groks the non-being of being and transcends reality to save both his friends and the mafia children that rule the tooth trade from the American Dental Association.

                          Here's his closing monologue

                          "Yeah. But you know, I've learned something today. You see, the basis of all reasoning
                                                   is the mind's awareness of itself. What
                          we think, the external objects we perceive,
                          are all like actors that come on and
                          off stage. But our consciousness, the
                          stage itself, is always present to us."
                          http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103570

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 4, 2009

                            Shakespeare has MacBeth say something similar (although more nihilistic (than South Park!?)) in Act 5 Scene Five:

                            To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
                            Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
                            To the last syllable of recorded time;
                            And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
                            The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
                            Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
                            That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
                            And then is heard no more. It is a tale
                            Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
                            Signifying nothing."

                            Dr. Jon Paulson
                            Interim Director of General Education
                            Center for Undergraduate Studies
                            Walden University
                            712-560-1658(h)
                            712-291-0144 (c)

                            Jon Ru <jru2797@...>
                            Sent by: americancomm@yahoogroups.com

                            12/04/2009 01:17 PM

                            Please respond to

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 11, 2010
                              How profoundly idiotic.

                              David

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
                                Hello, Philip!

                                I'm currently enrolled in Kaplan, too!  I'm majoring in Organizational Communication.

                                Good luck!

                                Debbie

                                In a message dated 6/2/2010 1:15:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, philiprosas@... writes:

                                Hello all!
                                    Glad to be a part of the group now, and I wanted to tell you a bit about myself. I'm currently enrolled in Kaplan University for Security and criminal justice. I am looking foward to getting into and learning more about Fraud prevention. I would love to work behind the scenes in finding these types of crooks. I am waiting patiently to meet and get to know professionals out there doing this work.

                                Thank you,

                                Philip Rosas

                                Debbie Salerno
                                COB/President/Founder
                                East Coast Maine Coon Rescue
                                www.ecmcr.org

                                I GoodSearch & GoodShop for East Coast Maine Coon Rescue!

                                Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com
                              • Mary Browning
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010

                                  Hello Phillip and Debbie,

                                  I am a Kaplan Student as well; my major is Psychology: Applied Behavioral Analysis (BS). I look forward to our correspondence via ACA.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                                    Thank you so do I!

                                    Felipe Rosas
                                    f.a.r. producciones
                                    philiprosas@...

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                                      I'm a kaplan student and going for medical assistant,assosicates,Hesser College,3 Sundial
                                      Ave,Manchester,N.H. 03103 hope to be friends with you and hears my email
                                      schilafoesr20@... and talk to you later.

                                    • debmetsfan@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                                        Hello, Mary!

                                        I fins psychology very interesting!  I have a daughter who is on the autism spectrum so that makes me even more interested.

                                        Looking forward to networking with you!

                                        Debbie

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 4, 2011
                                          I would like to work with autistic children. please details on sazzad1973 my ID on yahoo

                                          Dr.sazzad
                                          Bangladesh