body language

  • kaplandave@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
      Are those of you that have identified yourself as in the communication field experts on body language, too, then? Just trying to get a fuller picture of this field...
    • Tejinder Lamba
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
        YES
        Professor Tejinder Lamba

        Are those of you that have identified yourself as in the communication field experts on body language, too, then? Just trying to get a fuller picture of this field...

      • Jim Parker
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
          I have certainly taught non-verbal and non-verbal is always included in the basic course. I know what to teach about body language but I sure miss lots of it when I am communicating. I think there are experts who have done lots of research and we understand a great deal about the effects of non-verbal communication but probably have at least as much to learn as we already know.

          -jim parker

          --
          ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead
        • cochapple
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
            I agree with you Jim.

            Another question would be: Exactly what defines an expert in body language?

            An expert communicator would have exceptional skills in manipulating an audience or an individual in particular ways by assessing their body language. However, the context of body language is partnered with verbal communication, while environment and topic are also taken into consideration. I believe common factors will determine general rules of response.

            For this reason, I don't believe there is such a thing as being an expert solely in body language. In any context, with the exception of general rules; interpretation of body language is as fallible as mind reading.

            Colleen Chapple

            --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, Jim Parker <drjparker@...> wrote:

            > I have certainly taught non-verbal and non-verbal is always included in the
            > basic course. I know what to teach about body language but I sure miss lots
            > of it when I am communicating. I think there are experts who have done lots
            > of research and we understand a great deal about the effects of non-verbal
            > communication but probably have at least as much to learn as we already
            > know.
            >
            > -jim parker
            >
            > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM, kaplandave@... <
            > kaplandave@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Are those of you that have identified yourself as in the communication
            > > field experts on body language, too, then? Just trying to get a fuller
            > > picture of this field...
            > >

            > --
            > ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead

          • Ellen Taricani
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
              Yes, I do teach a class each year in non-verbal communication and really enjoy
              the whole subject.  I am constantly watching people and picking up things.
              Ellen

              Are those of you that have identified yourself as in the communication field experts on body language, too, then? Just trying to get a fuller picture of this field...

            • Rebecca Fishel
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                Very much so... though expert is not a title one can give themselves, nor am I particularly comfortable with it....

                I am a practitioner, left teaching and now do consulting for individuals, corporations, etc.  My focus is on human dynamics with a specific eye to how we communicate non-verbally... and that includes breath, energy organization, personality, gender, status, voice and what is still referred to as "body language."  I also consult in "body language" across cultures.

                Rebecca Fishel

                On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Ellen Taricani <etaricani@...> wrote:

                Yes, I do teach a class each year in non-verbal communication and really enjoy
                the whole subject.  I am constantly watching people and picking up things.
                Ellen

                Are those of you that have identified yourself as in the communication field experts on body language, too, then? Just trying to get a fuller picture of this field...

              • Jose Agalabia

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                    My training in the communication field helps me immensely as I teach
                    Middle Schoolers (6-8 grade). It annoys my students and helps me to
                    impress my colleagues when I pick up on their body language.

                    Keith Boepple

                    kaplandave@... wrote:

                    > Are those of you that have identified yourself as in the communication
                    > field experts on body language, too, then? Just trying to get a fuller
                    > picture of this field...

                  • Jenny Alcasid
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                      Hi, Jay! I'm interested in semiotics. What books can you recommend on the subject? I'm a PhD student from the Philippines. I am new to the subject and as far as I know it is not taught in our universities here, except as a part of communication theory.

                      Thanks,
                      Jenny in Manila

                      Jenny Ortuoste

                      http://jennyo.net

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                        hello jenny alcasid. it's nice to hear someone from the Philippines.  I amalso from manila and a PHd student in UP.

                        Lalaine

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 28, 2009
                          Hi Lalaine! I'm from UP-CMC too.  BA Comm (Journ) and now taking my PhD. I'll be starting on my core courses in June. Maybe we can meet up at CMC one of these days.

                          Best wishes,
                          Jenny

                          Jenny Ortuoste

                          http://jennyo.net

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 28, 2009
                            hi
                            you make me glad ,if send me inforation about body language.
                            thanks
                          • Jose Agalabia
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 28, 2009
                              Hello Jenny,

                              Im also from manila but am in maryland till october and yes its not really taught as a subject there and even in many universities abroad. As part of communication theory, it is briefly discussed to show symbolic meaning and primarily to convey individual perceptions of actions and appearances based on culture, tradition, and experiences. While doing my undergrad thesis reading on semiotics, I found out that the subject is of vital interest as its main use is as an analytical tool (Semiotic Analysis) which was entertaining, functional, surprising, and really funny. As conveyor of body language, every look, position, curve, swing, style, and appearance of each small part of the human body, even the eyelashes, has an interpretable meaning and effect on a receiver. i dont have my thesis now but maybe u can access it online thru the UST main library but im not so sure. Anyway ill try to research on the subject again and give you the references so you could use the subject in teaching or in your graduate studies. Thanks for your interest hope to see you in manila when i get back.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 28, 2009
                                Hello to all,

                                Read some nice inputs about Body Language, but sometimes i think every person is unique and has his or her own body language. (i write according to my experiences) This use of self depends on culture, society and family. Its realy hard to know what is positive or negative body language, i dont know how much semiotics would help as when we start communicating accross cultures its realy very hard to get to all the clues semiotics can provide... to what social set up, family background the person belongs so that we may interpret it.

                                I do have one question too. Here in India most of Communication Trainers use Communication Labs, with software supporting some activities. Now my question is- Are Communication Labs able enough to teach Communication(through those set activities) or we require something else like a Communication Theatre which is more performance based. (I belong to a country of non native speakers of English)
                                Sumangal Haldar
                                Lecturer / Soft Skill Trainer
                                SRM College of Engineering and Management.

[...]

                                Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!
                              • Jose Agalabia
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 29, 2009
                                  Hi sumangal,

                                  Thanks for the input though i beg to disagree on the assumption that semiotics cannot interpret body language across cultures. First of all, though every person is unique and has his or her own body language, in communication, what you search for is the commonality between what is being expressed by the communicator and the meaning behind it, otherwise, the receiver of the message will not understand or will apply his/her own meaning based on what he "perceives" the other person (the communicator) is communicating based on his body language. When that happens there is either a failure in communications or a miscommunication or if it turns out right- a lucky guess. Secondly, when you apply semiotics to subjects like body language and non-verbal communication, there is little need to analyze or interpret what the communicator is trying to say to the receiver. What you will analyze or uncover are mostly the subconscious messages of the communicator that may help or disgress from the intended message(messages that the communicator mostly do not even know he is showing like his appearance, habits, arm movements, etc. [both negative or positive] and all of them have meaning)  Would you buy a product from a beautiful model or an 'ugly' one? some would say that depends on what they are selling but of course the first impulse is to go to the beautiful model. That's why you need to find out why. Lastly, experience and culture are not  major factors when it comes to semiotics. When applying semiotic analysis you adapt and interpret by applying and adding cultural meaning if it is present and do not if there is none. As i stated earlier when you analyze communication using semiotics you do not look for the obvious. What you look for is meaning behind a particular sign or symbol and how it is interpreted within the context of the event or message being communicated, As i said, it is both an analytical tool and an application. You dont need to get all the clues but interpret it the best you can.

                                   To answer your question, i think it is best to integrate and include a comm theatre with the labs though it still depends on your curriculum and budget. But judging by your asking the question you may feel that you need something like the communication theatre to improve the teaching-learning situation at your institute. A vital consideration with your inquiry is the age of the students you are teaching. If youre teaching college students, it is much harder than teaching grade school or even high school students whatever approach you use. Ive done a few papers on teaching english as a second language to students in China and part of the conclusion is the application of a communicative approach to the teaching of the english language to supplement all other forms the school or institute is currently using. More information is needed if we are to succesfully answer your inquiry. Thanks

                                  Jay

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 30, 2009
                                    Hello Jose,

                                    Thanks for your input, I think some more reading is required by me to understand semiotics, and that i'll do. Well your answer to my questions solicits some 'more information', will try -
                                    1. Age of the students is 18 to 21
                                    2. All pursuing professional education
                                    3. Curriculum comes under ESP (English for Specific Purpose) rather than ELT
                                    4. Question encompass my dilemma of teaching what? ie correct pronunciation, accent and other nuances of language(which most communication Lab software does) OR good communication which is the effective use of language through certain set exercises/performances.
                                    5. Is there someone who has already come up with this concept(Communication Theatre)? So that i may get some guidance from that resource.

                                    Thanking you once again for patiently replying to my post.
[...]

                                    Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.* Click here!.