my 15 years of wrong-minded thinking

  • TYRONE ADAMS, PH.D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2008

      You know, gang...  Inertia has a way of seeping into your psyche and soul.  Call it the force of tradition.  Call it the force of the status quo.  Call it habit.  Call it whatever you want, it remains a force to be beckoned with!  And, we are all susceptible to it.  Habit.

      For almost 15 years now, several of us have been trying to create an ACA that was a shadow organization to the NCA.  But, as time goes on, ACA seems to be taking on a different shape, direction, and function.  I'm a pretty slow mover, in some regards.  I prefer looking at the innards of the engine, rather than the trajectory of the tanker.  Just how I'm built, I guess.  But, I can see and feel the paradigm taking hold.  This list is up to nearly 1100 people now.  We're forming a community spirit.  We're slowly gaining voice.  But, more importantly, we are beginning to self-assemble now, and tackle tasks that need to be accomplished.  It warms my heart, although, I must admit to being both depressed and frustrated at times with this new paradigm.  I couldn't wrap my brain around the largesse of what we are creating here.  It kinda boggled my mind, and I have to admit -- drove me nuts a few times, while I was holding on to the paradigm of the old.

      As resident list cheerleader and village idiot, I'd like to ask everyone to do something out here -- post at least one (1) story, or comment, or argument, or something of significance PER year.  Let's get this discussion board humming again.  If 1100 of us chime in, and increase the signal over the noise, maybe, just maybe, we can impact one another's lives in very tangible ways.

      Is that too much to ask?  For everyone to simply "communicate"?  I don't think so.  In fact, I think it's an obligation.  Lurking is great.  But, let's build a virtual community together.  Let's learn, share, debate, expand the dialectic, and push the envelope -- from kindergarten through the PhD, and beyond, into the professional ranks.  And maybe, somewhere along the line, we come together -- virtually or F2F -- and brand community in our own unique, cool, and weird way.

      --
      Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D.
      D'Aquin Professor of Journalism and Communication

      Direct Phone: 337.482.6077
      Facsimile: 337.482.6104
      Mobile: 337.501.1158
      Email: theswampboy@...

      Departmental site: http://comm.louisiana.edu
      Personal site: http://www.tyroneadams.com
    • Daniel Hodge
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2008
        Dr. Adams,
        Thanks for your work here and for your thoughts. While I do not always post, I do appreciate reading the material here.

        I wanted to connect with you as I am embarking on some new research and I thought you'd be someone I needed to talk with. I am currently researching the socio-theological significance of video games among college aged adults. The research is primarily focused on seeing if there is a transcendence experience when playing video games and what that experience looks like for gamers in this particular demographic. Given your own work and material, I'd love to see what resources I need to be looking at. I thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I look forward to talking with you.

        Daniel White Hodge PhD.
        Lecturing Professor
        Citrus College
        1000 W. Foothill Boulevard