An Open Letter to the Membership

  • Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005

      Dear ACA Members,

      Now is the time for action.

      I am writing to ask you for your support as a member of this Association.

      As you know, most communication associations charge "dues" among its membership to establish a standing "operating budget."  To date, ACA has been a ~dues-free~ Association.  The up-side to this is that our membership can reach those who cannot afford to financially participate in a communication association.  The down-side to this, of course, is that we have only the monies generated from our accreditation service to make things go.  Our budget is slim, and we are VERY tight with our pennies.  ...but, generally speaking, this is okay.

      Basically, ACA is a virtual organization.  We have no grand headquarters to maintain (though we do have an official office in Cedar Falls, Iowa).  And, our membership is (currently) small.  Counting those who have transferred their membership subscription to americancomm@yahoogroups.com -- we number a total of 135 *active members.*  The ACA-L list being run out of Appalachian State University had some 600+ "members" on it, but many of them no longer ::wanted:: to be there.  I still believe that the transfer to YahooGroups! will be a good thing for the long-term, due to its self-management capacity.  We only want people who WANT to be involved in ACA, here.  We want true-blue members.

      And so, I am asking each and every one of you on this list for a monetary gift to help ACA establish a convention fund.  I believe that it is time for this list, and the members on this list, to support ACA as it makes a turn for the better toward fiscal sustainability.  I also believe that your gift will help establish a **standing fund of resources** upon which the ACA Board of Directors (akin to an Executive Committee) can do things to better benefit the discipline of communication, and furthermore, the services we provide to the ACA membership.

      No one at ACA receives a salary; nor, should they ever.  We should, clearly, be at the service of one another...

      So, here's the pitch.  I am asking for a $100 gift from each and every faculty member or professional on this list.  I am also asking for a $75 gift from each and every student on this list.  If we all pitch in, we can make ACA one of the preeminent -- if not "the" preeminent -- communication associations in the world.  I ask you to do this, and thank you in advance for your support.  Your name will be kept anonymous if you like, or it will be posted on a "sponsorship board" on the ACA Web site.

      To wit, I am now signing my own check for $100 (I call them my association dues) and sending it to our tight-fisted, penny-miser Treasurer.  I ask you to help us turn this organization around, and do the same.

      Please send your check or money-order to:

      The American Communication Association
      c/o Dale Cyphert, Ph.D. - ACA Treasurer
      College of Business Administration
      The University of Northern Iowa
      1227 W. 27th Street
      Cedar Falls, Iowa USA 50614-0125

      Your ACA President,

      --
      Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D.
      Richard D'Aquin Associate Professor of Journalism and Communications

      "Hey, I've been out in the desert, yeah doin' my time
      Searching through the dust for fool's gold, lookin' for a sign..."
      --Bruce Springsteen, philosopher (2005)
    • sfseay
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        I vote no.  Why is a convention needed?  How do we know the money will be managed properly.  Who established that $100.00 is the right amount?  I can see that no one should receive a salary, but expenses on frivolous and unnecessary items can be a problem in these type organizations.

        There are other professional organizations out there for members of this list to join.

        In regards to your proposal,  I don't see a Mission Statement, a Vision, Guiding Principles, Values or anything like it discussed here.  Why would I contribute to an organization that has little to no leadership and direction.

        Again, I say no!

        Stephen F. Seay, PMP

        On Aug 1, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D. wrote:

[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Tyrone L. Adams, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005

          Sfseay,

          - You have the right to "vote no," and still exist as a member of this organization.
          - You have the right to join another communication organization, and pay whatever dues are deemed appropriate.
          - You have the right to voice your opinion as much and as loud as you like.
          - And, you have the right not to contribute to the fundraising effort, and still be a member of this association.

          But, we are going to do something tangible here, regardless.  The funding of the Peru 2006 Convention is NOT the prime issue, here.  The main issue is the fact that this association does not have a ~convention outlay~ of capital that can be recovered from convention fees.  We have no start-up for a convention.  Period.  Another significant issue is the fact that we need resources in-house to do things like publishing a _Proceedings of the Convention_ or other journals that we could assert into the discipline.

          How will you know that the money will be managed properly?  By an open budget, of course.  A budget which, I might add, can be argued against at any given time.  But, to date, the Membership has been silent.  There's been a SERIOUS disconnect between the Board of Directors and the Membership of this Association -- caused likely by the tribal communications that the Internet brings with it.  I am hoping to change that here, too, by asking for an associational gift AND asking for dialogue on the issue.  Thank you for your contrary vista.

          By the way, our vision statement is on the Web site, and we are going after it full throttle:

          THE MISSION: The American Communication Association (ACA) is a not-for-profit  virtual professional association with actual presence in the world of communication scholars and practitioners. ACA is committed to enabling effective use of new and evolving technologies to facilitate communication instruction, research and criticism, and to offering a technologically supportive venue for all who study the ways in which humans communicate. While the Association is based in the United States, it is a virtual organization that welcomes participation from academics and professionals throughout the world.