Re: [americancomm] Digest Number 457

  • Dan Garon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2007
      Jacob,

      I say go for it. From a purely technical standpoint, it's an easy thing to do -- phpBB (free) or vBulletin (paid) software works. We use vBulletin at ACA, but I've setup an online classes for others using phpBB. Both applications can be easily modified to add certain features you may require.

      As per the merit of the idea itself: The advantages of using a system like this are clear and abundant. Discussions will be more in depth and coherent, as students can easily cite outside sources and quote other comments. Students also have the opportunity to research their ideas online before contributing them to the group (a quick Google search adds a lot of the conversation). Students can also view archived discussions to study.

      What I like most about your plan is the element of transparency. Whether we like it or not, this is the general direction the entire field is going. And as a discipline, I think it's important we embrace it -- exploit its many advantages and use it to make our teaching and philosophy better.

      I think in large, as you suggested, we are a cooperative group. And if we're not, let's be more of one. This is a perfect step in the right direction, one which certainly meshes will with ACA's own vision for the future.

      Cheers,

      Dan
    • Leema Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2007
        please unsubscribe me from the discussion group.
        thnx