Re: [americancomm] Bulletin Board Spammified

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007
      I think I've seen what you meant here, Jacob. I believe our website administrator will be to figure this thing out and should be able to do something about it.

      Thanks you very much.

      "Jacob F. Roecker" <jacob@...> wrote:
      Dear All:

      I was working on the survey that Myrene sent out and went surfing around
      on the ACA website. I noticed the PHPBB (
      http://www.american comm.org/ interactive/ ) has been severely spammed.
      Is there anyone out there at the ACA that's going to take a look at
      implementing some spam protection and clean it up so it can be
      functional again?

      -Jacob

    • Jim Parker
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007
        While I am not not the administrator of the ACA website I do enough website administration to know that keeping the spam out is not a simple matter. The bottom line is that it requires personal attention from a person to keep the spam out of a system like we use. We need more members to step up and participate in the bulletin board. It would be nice if we could get someone to take responsibility for each discussion not only to keep the discussion free of spam to be nurture participation. We have a very nice system but it appears that this is certainly not a case of "build it and they will come". Dan Garon did much if not most of the work on the present web site along with Ty Adams plus the comments and suggestions of others. We need a group of dedicated individuals willing to foster greater use of the interactive part of our web site.

        We have over 800 people on the list-serv. Surely out of that number we can get a enough volunteers willing to start discussions and be willing to encourage others to participate in those discussions that we can make the interactive ACA truly interactive. I think it would also help nurture those discussions if the person who takes responsibility for a particular topic would regularly post to this list a summary of what is being discussed thus hopefully drawing more people into the discussion.

        -jim parker (your list master and board member)

        "Jacob F. Roecker" <jacob@...> wrote:
        Dear All:

        I was working on the survey that Myrene sent out and went surfing around
        on the ACA website. I noticed the PHPBB (
        http://www.americancomm.org/interactive/ ) has been severely spammed.
        Is there anyone out there at the ACA that's going to take a look at
        implementing some spam protection and clean it up so it can be
        functional again?

        -Jacob

        ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007

          Let's listen up to Jim Parker and all the ideas we are getting from each other.

          Thank to Jacob for bringing this matter to our attention. Jacob, you could probably work along with Jim, Ty and Dan Garon since your expertise is also on website administration. I hope you can create a team, a group or a committee together.

          Those who answered the survey and would love to be involbved in editing work, I am preparing to write and work it out with Lori Widmer as we could all be working with Lori in the Publication Group or Committee.

          Thanks for this, Jim. I am waiting for more survey responses and I will surely post the summary results of the said survey. This way, we could all begin tapping the best resources we have and placing our resources in the right places. We then could possibly have allignment and balance distribution of tasks and responsibilities.

          I hope more FORCES would come up to support the will to make ACA better and greater. To those who have not yet responded to our survey, please, do so. Or, post your ideas or desired topic of discussions at our ACA interactive.

          Sincerely,

          Myrene

          "Jacob F. Roecker" <jacob@roeckerfam. com> wrote:
          Dear All:

          I was working on the survey that Myrene sent out and went surfing around
          on the ACA website. I noticed the PHPBB (
          http://www.american comm.org/ interactive/ ) has been severely spammed.
          Is there anyone out there at the ACA that's going to take a look at
          implementing some spam protection and clean it up so it can be
          functional again?

          -Jacob

          ...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead

        • Lori Roe
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007

            Jim,

            I would be willing to monitor a discussion board.

            Lori

            Lori Roe

            Associate Director of Financial Aid

            Ivy Tech Community College

            3755 Lake City Highway

            Warsaw, IN  46580

            574-267-5428 x6109

            SQ: Ideation | Communication | Strategic | Relator | Learner

            "Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after." -Anne Morrow Lindbergh

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007

                    I would be.  Sarah

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007
                      Lori,

                      That sounds like a great idea. I am currently an instructor with
                      The Academy of Court Reporting where I teach English Grammar and
                      Literature, as well as Speech Communications. I love teaching and
                      have actually applied at Ivy Tech in Indianapolis. My hubby and I
                      are in Columbus now but are looking to relocate within the next
                      year. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!

                      I am more than willing to share any activities that I have done with
                      students in the classroom.

                      Thanks all

                      Andrea Webb

                      --- In americancomm@yahoogroups.com, "Lori Roe" <lroe@...> wrote:

                      > Jim,
                      >

                      > It seems we have quite a few COM instructors out there. How about a
                      > discussion board for posting instructional ideas for higher
                      education
                      > communication classes? Would anyone out there be interested in
                      that?

                      > Lori
                      >

                      > Lori Roe
                      >
                      > Associate Director of Financial Aid
                      >
                      > Ivy Tech Community College
                      >
                      > 3755 Lake City Highway
                      >
                      > Warsaw, IN 46580
                      >
                      > 574-267-5428 x6109
                      >
                      > SQ: Ideation | Communication | Strategic | Relator | Learner
                      >
                      > "Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as
                      hard
                      > to sleep after." -Anne Morrow Lindbergh

                    • Jon Ru
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007

                        Awesome Lori!

                        I hereby volunteer to run a Rhetoric discussion board.

                        Anybody else want to do one?

                        Happy Monday!

                        Jon