Discipline Categories

  • Jacob F. Roecker
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
      Dear All:

      I'm working on a communication related project and wondering if I can
      get some input regarding the communication discipline in general. I'm
      trying to figure out what are the basic branches of communication as
      they currently exist so that I can create an organizational tree.

      Something like

      Communication

      |---------------------------|
      Rhetoric Social Science

      |--------------|
      NEO Visual

      If anyone's got a chart that helps to explain this that would be great.
      One professor I had described it as having two parts the
      "Classic/Rhetoric" side and the "Social Science" side.

      You're going to love this project once it's finished, but I'm not
      willing to reveal yet what it's going to be.

      -Jacob
    • Jay Black
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2007
        You might want to add Mass Media and Journalism or I'm really screwed going to GSU for my PhD in Communication.

        -jay-

        James E. Black
        Mercer University-College of Liberal Arts
        Department of Communications and Theatre Arts
        1400 Coleman Avenue
        Macon, Georgia 31207-0001

        (478) 301-2137

        Illegitimi non carborundum

        To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com
        From: jacob@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:50:15 -0600
        Subject: [americancomm] Discipline Categories

        Dear All:

        I'm working on a communication related project and wondering if I can
        get some input regarding the communication discipline in general. I'm
        trying to figure out what are the basic branches of communication as
        they currently exist so that I can create an organizational tree.

        Something like

        Communication

        |----------- --------- -------|
        Rhetoric Social Science

        |----------- ---|

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
          Done!

          With the help of a good professor, I found a powerpoint from the NCA that breaks down the discipline quite well.  They list it as "Mass Communication and Media Studies"

          I've got a rough draft of the site's categories up and going but don't want to let you all know where it is just yet.  I'd like to populate it with some sample data first.  If you've got anyone that's written a good paper, or has a good review of a theory, or book please pass them along to jacob@....

          I figure in about a week or so I'll have enough up there to let you folks know where this thing is at and then let's see if we can't get the ball rolling on compounding some really good information.

          -Jacob Roecker

          To: americancomm@ yahoogroups. com
          From: jacob@roeckerfam. com
          Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:50:15 -0600

          Dear All:

          I'm working on a communication related project and wondering if I can
          get some input regarding the communication discipline in general. I'm
          trying to figure out what are the basic branches of communication as
          they currently exist so that I can create an organizational tree.

          Something like

          Communication

          |----------- --------- -------|
          Rhetoric Social Science

          |----------- ---|
          NEO Visual

          If anyone's got a chart that helps to explain this that would be great.
          One professor I had described it as having two parts the
          "Classic/Rhetoric" side and the "Social Science" side.

          You're going to love this project once it's finished, but I'm not
          willing to reveal yet what it's going to be.

          -Jacob

          Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
            Jacob,

            From the University where I am taking my graduate studies, we have the following communication disciplines to choose from:

                  - Film
                  - Broadcast Communication
                  - Journalism
                  - Communication Research/Communication Studies

            Under the Communication Research/Studies are the following areas of studies:

                  -  Intra-personal Level
                  -  Interpersonal Level
                  -  Group or Organizational Level
                  -  Mass Communication Level

            I hope I have given you added info on your question.

            Myrene A. Magabo
            Ph.D. Student, College of Mass Communication
            University of the Philippines

            "Jacob F. Roecker" <jacob@...> wrote:
            Dear All:

            I'm working on a communication related project and wondering if I can
            get some input regarding the communication discipline in general. I'm
            trying to figure out what are the basic branches of communication as
            they currently exist so that I can create an organizational tree.

            Something like

            Communication

            |----------- --------- -------|
            Rhetoric Social Science

            |----------- ---|
            NEO Visual

            If anyone's got a chart that helps to explain this that would be great.
            One professor I had described it as having two parts the
            "Classic/Rhetoric" side and the "Social Science" side.

            You're going to love this project once it's finished, but I'm not
            willing to reveal yet what it's going to be.

            -Jacob

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Cindy Allen
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007

              Jacob, Here's a link to my college's communication programs. Click on SCOM, SMAD, TSC, and Writing to see our organizational design.

              https://caal.jmu.edu/

              I hope this helps! Cindy Allen

              "Jacob F. Roecker" <jacob@roeckerfam. com> wrote:
[...]

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              Cindy Allen, Instructor,
              Institute of Technical and Scientific Communication, 800 South Main Street, MSC 2108, Harrison Hall, Room 2264
              540-568-3763

            • Jacob F. Roecker
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
                Thanks Everyone!

                I guess I don't have much of choice but to let you all know where this stuff is going.  The website is called here:   http://www.nancytobler.com  (named after one of my communication professors)  The "Category Trees" are online on the front page.  The content of the site and the "How Toos" for contributing content aren't up and running yet (end of the week).  Plans to move from a beta to fully functional will be happening towards the end of the semester.

                I've discovered that there's several ways to categorize the parts of the discipline, and I'm working with undergraduate experience trying to piece this together.  If you could take a few minutes and look at the NCA structure I've adopted, I'd appreciate it.  If there's any changes to be made and you know how to wiki then feel free to make them.  If you don't wiki yet (please learn it's easy) just email me and I'll fix th breakdown.

                Thanks again everyone!

                -Jacob Roecker

                Myrene Magabo wrote:
                Jacob,