Hello!

  • Lori Vallotton Roe
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hello all,

      I am a new member in ASA. I am the Associate Director of Financial Aid
      at Ivy Tech Community College in Warsaw, Indiana. What is a financial
      aid director doing joining a communication association, you ask? Well,
      at a small campus, you have to wear many hats. I also teach public
      speaking each semester, as well as advise several student groups.

      I earned my BA and MA in Communication from Morehead State University in
      Morehead, Kentucky. I took a couple of graduate courses at the
      University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and I am currently working on my
      Ph.D. in Education from Walden University. (When that full-time faculty
      position comes along, I'll be ready!)

      I am happy that I found a virtual communication community and I would
      love to hear from you about your work.

      Lori Roe
    • Tejinder Lamba
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 29, 2007
        welcome
        Tejinder S. Lamba
        University of Delhi (On Leave)
        New Jersey US

        Lori Vallotton Roe <lroe@...> wrote:
        Hello all,

        I am a new member in ASA. I am the Associate Director of Financial Aid
        at Ivy Tech Community College in Warsaw, Indiana. What is a financial
        aid director doing joining a communication association, you ask? Well,
        at a small campus, you have to wear many hats. I also teach public
        speaking each semester, as well as advise several student groups.

        I earned my BA and MA in Communication from Morehead State University in
        Morehead, Kentucky. I took a couple of graduate courses at the
        University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and I am currently working on my
        Ph.D. in Education from Walden University. (When that full-time faculty
        position comes along, I'll be ready!)

        I am happy that I found a virtual communication community and I would
        love to hear from you about your work.

        Lori Roe

        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

      • Vernon Humphrey
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 29, 2007
          Welcome Lori it is always nice to have new blood join the mix

          Vern

          Command of the language is most important. Next to kissing, it is the most exciting form of communication. -- Oren Arnold

          Vernon F. Humphrey
          706.329.7960
          188 Paige Drive
          Mauk, GA 31058

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 29, 2007

            welcome join us!!Lori Vallotton Roe,hoping  you enjoy our group.

            then my questions followed :
            these days , I am collectting papers  on the issue of  Media literacy. this topic is very populary in China recently cause the government  has paid attentaion to it. I've reviewed lots of  the references about the topic, and I found that the US ,though it  has  the richest media resourse, seems not so much care about it.Is it true?

            Last week , I asked a professor  Wanta ,who came from Missuriou University, I asked how about the media literacy  in U.S? to my great surprise, he  answered that in his memory there was few researches about media literacy. if any,they are not so impressed .his daughter has never accepted any media education courses in school  .but she actually comand all of the media well , he added.

            why? why the U.S can do it? some cited the great middle calss to explain.But unlike US ,china hasn't developed  a  great  middle-calss yet to maintain any  main-streem value and outlook. thus  uncertainty  released  the chance from people to the govenment to control the ideologe of the meida.

            Then  ,Held by the chinese  government, can the media education reach its aim ? ingoring the difference of every individuals ,hardly can people  get independence  from the highly agended media .I thinl, because the government is playing the roles both of media editor and media de-code, it will not tell people the rulers of codifying.isn't  it ?

             But I am still hoping, hoping everything in china  goes well.

            My questions are :how to keep people  independ to the media? how about the media literacy developed overseas?
            (this letter cost me one hour indeed due to my poor english.Alas````)

            I have wrotten the essay a named <论媒介素养之伪>.it is a little pity that I'm unable to share it and  debate it with you ,because I have no time to translate it .

            thanks for your reading ! it is dawning in the eastward. God bless us!good night!
                                                              雪芳 sunsnowing
                                              Graduate student in CUC, Beijing

            150 万 人 同 时 在 玩 的 网 游,你 不 试 试 吗 ?
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 30, 2007
              Hello Lori, and to all our new ACA members--

              Welcome. I would say, this is an interesting group, of which you are now a part of.

              Here we get to share, exchange, debate/argue ideas freely, pedogically, academically, professionally. What binds people together in ACA all around the globe is the "word and the word makes us flesh."

              By asking questions, posing issues and responding to it all is very much a part of the things we do here in ACA. Then, we have the Journal where contributions for scholarly works are welcomed.

              Hope you'll all stick it out here.

              Myrene

[...]

            • boosdaddy1
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 1, 2007
                sunsnowing, Graduate student in CUC, Beijing, you asked: "My questions
                are :how to keep people independ to the media? how about the media
                literacy developed overseas?"

                I am not sure if I am answering the second question but I do have some
                information concerning media literacy. As a background, this past
                year I had to teach my Introduction to Mass Media class for the first
                time in several years. I ordered the Barron textbook since I had used
                it previously. Just as a reference, since I am sure you may not be
                aware of how Introduction TO Mass Media courses are traditionally
                taught, in the United States, most colleges teach the course in the
                Gen Ed curriculm as a survey of media course. The media literacy part
                is usually one or two sections in a couple of chapters which is really
                pathetic.

                Sometime media literacy is taught at the college level as a senior or
                graduate level course but more often than not, it is not taught. Many
                of our curriculums have Media and Society classes and we sometimes
                teach modules in that class. I think that we assume that it is being
                taught in high school or lower coursework and unfortunately that is
                not happening. What I have found is that students at my college at
                least were not prepared to be able to read the media. They are very
                influenced by the media and have no idea how much it influences their
                lives.

                There has been a push in both Instructional Techology (which is
                usually in Education Departments) and in Library Science in regard to
                teaching information literacy where media literacy, specifically
                visual literacy is part of that coursework. I was told by my
                Instructional Technologist that there is a professor at Appalachian
                State University in Boone, NC who had done extensive work in media
                literacy from an Instructional Techology perspective.

                Back to this Introduction course: while doing research on the
                Internet, I came across a textbook from the UK. From what I
                understand, the book was being used to prepare high school graduates
                for their A-Level testing to enter college. AS Media Studies: The
                Essential Introduction: The Essential Information by Philip Rayner,
                Peter Wall, and Stephen Kruger and I orderd the book. I was blown
                away. The first part of the book is textual analysis which as you all
                know is a major component of media literacy and visual literacy. If
                you are looking for a method of teaching media literacy, I highly
                recommend this book and others from the A-Level and the AS-Level.
                There are also numerous study guides and support material on the
                Internet that would help you develope teaching modules and course
                assignments and active learning exercises. I also found the past
                copies of the A-Level testing online which was VERY HELPFUL for me.

                I was so impressed by the book that I adopted it as my Introduction to
                Mass Media textbook. This book has information that was so far
                advanced from what we traditionally teach college freshmen, I could
                not pass up the chance to use the book. What I had to do was apply
                American examples for the British examples but that was not very hard
                to do. This book and the information in the book is a good way to
                start helping them to see how dependant they have become on the media
                and now to break that dependance, if they desire to.
              • Gates
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 1, 2007
                  Hello,
                  I think your question is a relevant question as our media becomes more global. I would say that most educators will continue to tackle your questions. One method I use in my classrooms is to focus on having students explore their own stereotypes. How did they develop? Where did it stem from? Then, look at how this development of stereotypes effect the way they communicate.

                  Media literacy is really a course that can be centered around perception. I like to build this aspect into my classes since media is subjective. Realistically, we want to think of it as objective and provides facts but the way it is interpretated by audience is perception. I would build on the stages of perception. You might want to explore social cognition and frame of reference as well. Finally, to keep it simple and not getting into too many mass communication theories, take a look at Equilibrium theory.

                  Hope this helps.
                  Tina

                • Christian Garzone
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 7 10:59 AM
                    Dear group,

                    Good Sunday afternoon! My name is Christian Garzone, former navy journalist & radio DJ for AFN Tokyo. I joined this group to become a part of a communications community and view/discuss some of the interesting posts here. If any of you would like to peruse some of my video work, by all means, swing by www.dailymotion.com/CGarzone and have a look. God bless and hope to hear from all of you soon :)

                    Respectfully,
                    Christian Garzone

                  • Ellen Taricani
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 9 8:04 AM
                      You have certainly had some fun experiences.  It was fun to watch some of them.
                      Welcome to our organization.  Be sure to jump in for some discussions.
                      Ellen

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 11 12:36 PM
                        Thank you, Ellen! Most kind of you :)

                        Respectfully,
                        Christian Garzone

                        www.dailymotion.com/CGarzone

                        You have certainly had some fun experiences.  It was fun to watch some of them.
                        Welcome to our organization.  Be sure to jump in for some discussions.
                        Ellen

                        Good Sunday afternoon! My name is Christian Garzone, former navy journalist & radio DJ for AFN Tokyo. I joined this group to become a part of a communications community and view/discuss some of the interesting posts here. If any of you would like to peruse some of my video work, by all means, swing by www.dailymotion. com/CGarzone and have a look. God bless and hope to hear from all of you soon :)

                        Respectfully,
                        Christian Garzone

                      • Queena Espinoza
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 7, 2010
                          Hi Everyone,

                          I am a new member of ACA. I am looking forward to the exchanges of communication across industry planes. I come from a diverse professional background and hope to both learn and contribute to the association.

                          Sincerely,

                          Queena

                        • kparsss@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 7, 2010
                            unsubscribe me please

                          • debmetsfan@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 7, 2010
                              Hello, Queena!

                              I've been with the group for a few months.  I'm attending Kaplan University and working on my BS in Organizational Communication.

                              Welcome!
                              Debbie

                              In a message dated 6/7/2010 5:36:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, qarlette03@... writes:

                              Hi Everyone,

                              I am a new member of ACA. I am looking forward to the exchanges of communication across industry planes. I come from a diverse professional background and hope to both learn and contribute to the association.

                              Sincerely,

                              Queena

                              Debbie Salerno
                              COB/President/Founder
                              East Coast Maine Coon Rescue
                              www.ecmcr.org

                              I GoodSearch & GoodShop for East Coast Maine Coon Rescue!

                              Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com
                            • Tamar Smallwood
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 8, 2010
                                Hi Everyone,

                                I am a new member of ACA as well.  I hope to create a platform that challenges all of us to be creative and open minded.  Talk to you later.

                                I am a new member of ACA. I am looking forward to the exchanges of communication across industry planes. I come from a diverse professional background and hope to both learn and contribute to the association.

                                Sincerely,

                                Queena

                              • 王轶
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 15, 2011
                                  Hey, everyone, I'm Florence Wang, and I'm a  junior student from Tsinghua university, PRC. Now I'm studying English Literature, but I'm interested in journalism and communications and I want to undertake a carrer related to media in the future. I have not decided which university I will go to for my further study and what major should I should for my future carrer. hope you can give me some suggestions.
                                  Best wishes! have a nice weekend!

                                  --

                                  每天好心情

                                  王轶 Florence Wang

                                  体验网易邮箱2G超大附件,轻松发优质大电影、大照片,提速3倍!
                                • T. T. Brittain

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 16, 2011
                                      If you want to get a flyer to potential student interns, you could try contacting the career centers at select universities.  I fear the career centers may not be into your offer if all you are offering to do is have students make cold calls from home for a percentage -- they generally want the students to be directly mentored and to learn advanced skills, but my fears shouldn't prevent you from trying.  Good luck, Jon

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 16, 2011
                                        Welcome Florence!  I like literature too, but if you want a media career and are interested in journalism why not pursue a journalism degree?  There are many schools that offer this type of degree in the U.S., I'm not sure how it works in other countries.  Good luck!

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 16, 2011
                                          Hello,

                                          Thanks for the helpful response. You're probably right. They want them to work in a structured setting. I remember my internship and I was mentored during the 3 months. I will try something else.

                                          Thank you.

                                          2011/4/15 王轶 <wy-1989-627@...>

                                          Hey, everyone, I'm Florence Wang, and I'm a  junior student from Tsinghua university, PRC. Now I'm studying English Literature, but I'm interested in journalism and communications and I want to undertake a carrer related to media in the future. I have not decided which university I will go to for my further study and what major should I should for my future carrer. hope you can give me some suggestions.
                                          Best wishes! have a nice weekend!

                                          --

                                          每天好心情

                                          王轶 Florence Wang

                                          体验网易邮箱2G超大附件,轻松发优质大电影、大照片,提速3倍!

                                        • Nurollah Zarrinabadi
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 17, 2011
                                            hi

                                            I am trying to write my thesis on Willingness to communicate . i have read much of literature on the subject.  I wiil be happy to know your idea on a research topic related to willingness to communicate,

                                            I wonder that you can help me

                                            Nurollah Zarrinabadi
                                          • Shirvani, Sheida
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 17, 2011

                                              Greeting

                                              I am in the middle of grading my graduate students paper.  They are due tomorrow.  I will write to you what I thing and yes I am willing to help anyway I can.

                                              Shirvani

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 17, 2011
                                                I don't know what's your specific research field. for example, willingness to communicate maybe related to psychology,such as characters and the surrounding environment . you know, people from different cultures may also have different enthusiam of communication. since communication is a matual process which involves two or more people, the willingness also relates to the partner. Hope I can help you.

                                                P.S. about my future studies, as far as I'm concerned, I prefer to study in Europe, especially North Europe. but it's only my wish, and I don't know if Europe can provide some proper postgraduate studies for me....
                                                --

                                                每天好心情

                                                王轶 Florence Wang

                                                At 2011-04-17 21:18:57,"Nurollah Zarrinabadi" <nurollah_zarrinabadi@...> wrote:

                                                hi

                                                I am trying to write my thesis on Willingness to communicate . i have read much of literature on the subject.  I wiil be happy to know your idea on a research topic related to willingness to communicate,

                                                I wonder that you can help me

                                                Nurollah Zarrinabadi

                                                体验网易邮箱2G超大附件,轻松发优质大电影、大照片,提速3倍!
                                              • Adel Andalibi
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 4, 2011
                                                  Norollah, Your subject sounds very interesting to me especially when it comes to cross cultural communication and peace building efforts. keep us posted about your research

                                                  Adel Andalibi

                                                  I am in the middle of grading my graduate students paper.  They are due tomorrow.  I will write to you what I thing and yes I am willing to help anyway I can.

                                                  Shirvani
                                                  I am trying to write my thesis on Willingness to communicate . i have read much of literature on the subject.  I wiil be happy to know your idea on a research topic related to willingness to communicate,

                                                  I wonder that you can help me

                                                  Nurollah Zarrinabadi

                                                • ehsan abadikhah
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 4, 2011
                                                    hi Nourollah,
                                                    wish you success in your thesis.
                                                    the topic sounds novel and interesting. But is it a personal prespect or interpersonal or intergroup wilingness that you would focus on?what society would you refer to as your specimen? would you engage the ego or you would stay at the surface of the communication factors? please tell us about your basic theories as literature of the thesis.
                                                    good luck.
                                                    ehsan abadikhah

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jul 6, 2011
                                                      dear Adel & Ehsan,
                                                      i'm investigating willingness to communicate in realm of linguistic and its use in ELT
                                                      best,
                                                      nur.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jul 8, 2011

                                                        Dear NUR,

                                                        It seems you be interested in second language learning. I’m kind of acquainted with the subject because my BA was involved somehow with English teaching courses. I also have taught English in some institutes and schools. I guess you better make it clear what group you are focused on. Because the techniques vary as the groups differ and how we talk about learning or acquisition. You also have entered the realm of communication. You have 2 areas to cover: linguistics and communication. The more you master the language abilities the better you communicate. If I were you I would choose the impact of “stress” on communication abilities among the students or between cultures. What causes this stress and hinders the process of communication which results in spiral of silence or omition from the community. Wealth, family background and overly the four language skills besides calligraphy skills are playing major roles in student’s willingness toward the Language and pursuing their studies. Language learning is communication. Hey bro, you also walked into the realm of sociology and anthropology! oh Lord!

                                                        Wish you luck brother.

                                                        ehsan

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 10, 2012
                                                          Hello!  My name is Rachele Schafer.  Degrees: BA - Organizational Communications; MA - Communication Studies; Ed.D. - Special Education.  I love studying behavior and communication law in the interest of individuals with disabilities.  My person research involves identifying whether or not individuals on the Autism Spectrum actually have a unique language of their own which leads to the multiple misunderstandings and other communicative struggles with individuals who do not have Autism.  Qualitative research indicates that individuals on the Autism Spectrum can communicate effectively with each other leading to the hypothesis that there is a unique language in the community.

                                                          I look forward to learning from and sharing with each of you in this wonderful learning community!

                                                          Sincerely,
                                                          Rachele
                                                        • natalie konopi
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                                                            My name is Natalie and I am new to this group. I am excited to network with other professionals and share knowledge/best practices. I have a degree in Organizational Communications and work in corporate training; I also am an adjunct instructor for a proprietary school. I am hoping some of the things I pick up from this group can help me enhance the classroom experience for my students. Glad to be here!
                                                          • Vern
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                                                              Welcome

                                                              Sent from my iPhone