Presenting a paper

  • Earl Capps
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2005
      HELP!

      I'm presenting my first paper in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have
      any suggestions, advice, or recommendations on what to do?

      This will be the first conference I've ever attended, and as luck
      would have it, my paper on managerial values and corporate democracy
      was accepted for presentation. While I'm flattered to have the
      opportunity to present it, I haven't the foggiest notion of what to
      do, or how to do it.

      Can anyone help me with this?
    • annrosenthal@iwsmail.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 9, 2005
        Yes! Treat this as you would any presentation. Prepare, talk, and shut up.

        Prepare: Read through your paper and select the main points and some of
        the most powerful evidence you have to support them. If it is an empirical
        study, set up the rationale, describe SOME of earlier findings, describe
        the study, report the results, and then summarize with your conclusions.

        Present: Talk from a highlighted copy of your paper if you don't feel
        comfortable talking from an outline. DON'T be tempted to read huge blocks
        of text to us. DON'T READ TO THE AUDIENCE AT ALL!

        Shut up: Respect other presenters' right to be heard. Use only the amount
        of time allotted to you.

        Have some copies on 3.5 inch floppies or cheap CDs if you can swing that.
        Save the environment; don't print copies unless the conference requests
        it. Some associations make papers available online; post yours there if
        possible. Offer to e-mail copies and collect cards to do so. Good social
        networking.

        Congratulations and good luck!

        Respectfully,

        Ann Rosenthal, Ph.D.
        Chair, Department of Communication
        Baker University
        Baldwin City, KS 66006

        > HELP!
        >
        > I'm presenting my first paper in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have
        > any suggestions, advice, or recommendations on what to do?
        >
        > This will be the first conference I've ever attended, and as luck
        > would have it, my paper on managerial values and corporate democracy
        > was accepted for presentation. While I'm flattered to have the
        > opportunit
        y to present it, I haven't the foggiest notion of what to
        > do, or how to do it.
        >
        > Can anyone help me with this?

        > School education in california
        > High school education
        > Middle school education
        > Home school education
        > Graduate school education
        > Secondary school education
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > Visit your group "americancomm" on the web.

      • Dale Cyphert
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9, 2005
          Earl,
          Congratulations, and relax. Breathe deeply.

          Everything Ann said is right on.

          I do find it helpful to create a presentation outline. This guides my
          talk and prevents me from getting lost in the highlighted version of the
          whole paper. I'm a messy highlighter. (Knowing Ann, I'm betting her
          work is considerably neater!) It's also an opportunity to think about
          how the in-person audience's interests might be slightly different from
          a reader's. Feel free to tweak the introduction, making it a more
          casual "speech" introduction instead of a dry, esoteric paper introduction.

          Find out whether the conference you are attending expects presenters to
          use overheads. (That is, are the projectors being provided in every
          conference room? If so, you are generally expected to use them.)
          Communication conferences generally do not, while management conferences
          often do. DON'T create "outline" overheads (e.g. bad PowerPoint slides
          turned into overheads). If you have charts, graphs, illustrations,
          images, etc., these would be appropriate to show.

          I concur on the issue of paper copies. The only handouts I would even
          consider would be 1-2 pages that included your contact information for
          the person who does want a full copy of the paper, the key
          data/graphs/charts/images (which might have been the overheads if AV
          were available), and the bibliography, which is what most conference
          participants are really after.

          have fun!
          dale

          Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Department of Management
          University of Northern Iowa
          1227 W.27th Street
          Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
          (319) 273-6150
          dale.cyphert@...

          annrosenthal@... wrote:
          > Yes! Treat this as you would any presentation. Prepare, talk, and shut up.
          >
          > Prepare: Read through your paper and select the main points and some of
          > the most powerful evidence you have to support them. If it is an empirical
          > study, set up the rationale, describe SOME of earlier findings, describe
          > the study, report the results, and then summarize with your conclusions.
          >
          > Present: Talk from a highlighted copy of your paper if you don't feel
          > comfortable talking from an outline. DON'T be tempted to read huge blocks
          > of text to us. DON'T READ TO THE AUDIENCE AT ALL!
          >
          > Shut up: Respect other presenters' right to be heard. Use only the amount
          > of time allotted to you.
          >
          > Have some copies on 3.5 inch floppies or cheap CDs if you can swing that.
          > Save the environment; don't print copies unless the conference requests
          > it. Some associations make papers available online; post yours there if
          > possible. Offer to e-mail copies and collect cards to do so. Good social
          > networking.
          >
          > Congratulations and good luck!
          >
          > Respectfully,
          >
          > Ann Rosenthal, Ph.D.
          > Chair, Department of Communication
          > Baker University
          > Baldwin City, KS 66006
          >

          >> HELP!
          >>
          >> I'm presenting my first paper in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have
          >> any suggestions, advice, or recommendations on what to do?
          >>
          >> This will be the first conference I've ever attended, and as luck
          >> would have it, my paper on managerial values and corporate democracy
          >> was accepted for presentation. While I'm flattered to have the
          >> opportunit
          >
          > y to present it, I haven't the foggiest notion of what to
          >
          >> do, or how to do it.
          >>
          >> Can anyone help me with this?

          >> School education in california
          >> High school education
          >>Middle school education
          >> Home school education
          >> Graduate school education
          >> Secondary school education
          >> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >> Visit your group "americancomm" on the web.
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Earl Capps
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2005

            I don’t worry about such things too much.  My father was the first one in his family to get through high school, and that I made it to grad school at all is beating some pretty steep odds.  While it’s best to succeed at the top, failing at the top is still preferable to never having made it there at all.  Good or bad, I’m fortunate to have the opportunity to be there.

            I’ve been working on an outline of the paper already – I wrote it in April, so I find I’m able to look at it “from the outside”, as I wouldn’t have been able to do back in the spring.  When I lecture classes on political communication or careers in communication, I use outline handouts with my contact information and they seem pretty effective.

            The paper is on managerial values and democratic communication in the workplace.  Since I spent three years as a headhunter/recruiter, and several years in management, I have some personal experiences with the good, bad, and ugly.  I have a pretty strong interest in Stanley Deetz’ assessments of how organizations control communication to their advantage.  So I start out with something that I’m personally interested in and can talk about from my “professional” perspective.

            My biggest concern was that I’d have one sort of presentation in mind and the academic world would expect another.  It sounds like I’m not that far out-of-sync after all.

            What about doing some Q&A or just asking the audience for a show of hands to start out the presentation?  Just a couple of general background questions to get a feel for the audience and see how well they may personally identify with the subject.  I find that helps with my classes – would it be appropriate there?

            For the record, it’s the annual conference of the Carolinas Communication Association.

            annrosenthal@... wrote:
            > Yes! Treat this as you would any presentation. Prepare, talk, and shut up.
            >
            > Prepare: Read through your paper and select the main points and some of
            > the most powerful evidence you have to support them. If it is an empirical
            > study, set up the rationale, describe SOME of earlier findings, describe
            > the study, report the results, and then summarize with your conclusions.
            >
            > Present: Talk from a highlighted copy of your paper if you don't feel
            > comfortable talking from an outline. DON'T be tempted to read huge blocks
            > of  text to us. DON'T READ TO THE AUDIENCE AT ALL!
            >
            > Shut up: Respect other presenters' right to be heard. Use only the amount
            > of time allotted to you.
            >
            > Have some copies on 3.5 inch floppies or cheap CDs if you can swing that.
            > Save the environment; don't print copies unless the conference requests
            > it. Some associations make papers available online; post yours there if
            > possible. Offer to e-mail copies and collect cards to do so. Good social
            > networking.
            >
            > Congratulations and good luck!
            >
            > Respectfully,
            >
            > Ann Rosenthal, Ph.D.
            > Chair, Department of Communication
            > Baker University
            > Baldwin City , KS 66006
            >

            >>    HELP!
            >>
            >> I'm presenting my first paper in a couple of weeks.  Does anyone have
            >> any suggestions, advice, or recommendations on what to do?
            >>
            >> This will be the first conference I've ever attended, and as luck
            >> would have it, my paper on managerial values and corporate democracy
            >> was accepted for presentation.  While I'm flattered to have the
            >> opportunit
            >
            > y to present it, I haven't the foggiest notion of what to
            >
            >> do, or how to do it.
            >>
            >> Can anyone help me with this?

            >>   School education in california
            >>     High school education
            >>Middle school education
            >>                         Home school education
            >>                  Graduate school education
            >>               Secondary school education
            >>         YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >>     Visit your group "americancomm" on the web.
            >>     To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            >>     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Heather Z
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2005

              Hi Earl:

              Check out this link http://www.refresher.com/archives36.html .  It's at the CEO Refresher and has quite a few good articles on speaking and presenting. This site is my favorite for a lot of topics.

              Kindest regards

              Heather

              From: "Earl Capps" <earlcapps@...>
              To: americancomm@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [americancomm] Presenting a paper
              Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 03:31:33 -0000

              HELP!

              I'm presenting my first paper in a couple of weeks.  Does anyone have
              any suggestions, advice, or recommendations on what to do?

              This will be the first conference I've ever attended, and as luck
              would have it, my paper on managerial values and corporate democracy
              was accepted for presentation.  While I'm flattered to have the
              opportunity to present it, I haven't the foggiest notion of what to
              do, or how to do it.

              Can anyone help me with this?

              Middle school educationHigh school educationGraduate school education
              Home school educationSchool education in californiaSecondary school education

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Send junk mail straight into your Recycle Bin with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*
            • Mark Fabiano
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2005
                --- Earl Capps <earlcapps@...> wrote:

                > I don't worry about such things too much. My father
                > was the first one in
                > his family to get through high school, and that I
                > made it to grad school at
                > all is beating some pretty steep odds. While it's
                > best to succeed at the
                > top, failing at the top is still preferable to never
                > having made it there at
                > all. Good or bad, I'm fortunate to have the
                > opportunity to be there.
                >

                > I've been working on an outline of the paper already
                > - I wrote it in April,
                > so I find I'm able to look at it "from the outside",
                > as I wouldn't have been
                > able to do back in the spring. When I lecture
                > classes on political
                > communication or careers in communication, I use
                > outline handouts with my
                > contact information and they seem pretty effective.
                >

                > The paper is on managerial values and democratic
                > communication in the
                > workplace. Since I spent three years as a
                > headhunter/recruiter, and several
                > years in management, I have some personal
                > experiences with the good, bad,
                > and ugly. I have a pretty strong interest in
                > Stanley Deetz' assessments of
                > how organizations control communication to their
                > advantage. So I start out
                > with something that I'm personally interested in and
                > can talk about from my
                > "professional" perspective.
                >

                > My biggest concern was that I'd have one sort of
                > presentation in mind and
                > the academic world would expect another. It sounds
                > like I'm not that far
                > out-of-sync after all.
                >

                > What about doing some Q&A or just asking the
                > audience for a show of hands to
                > start out the presentation? Just a couple of
                > general background questions
                > to get a feel for the audience and see how well they
                > may personally identify
                > with the subject. I find that helps with my classes
                > - would it be
                > appropriate there?
                >

                > For the record, it's the annual conference of the
                > Carolinas Communication
                > Association.
                >

                > - earl
                >
                > _____

                === message truncated ===

                Mark Fabiano
                Phone: 614-288-9833
                email: infowriters@...
                Web: http://www.geocities.com/writeprojects/home_1.html
                1678 Hightower Drive
                Columbus, OH 43235

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Dale Cyphert
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2005
                  Audience involvement is unusual but generally appreciated. It's a nice
                  break from the "talking heads" we usually see.

                  The Q & A is a normal part of the panel, assuming that everyone stays
                  within their time frames. Some chairs will allow a few questions
                  immediately after each presentations; most prefer to hear all the papers
                  and then have a general Q & A. At that point the questions are usually
                  directed toward specific presenters, but often the discussion takes up
                  issues that are relevant to the panel's general theme.

                  Earl Capps wrote:
                  > I don’t worry about such things too much. My father was the first one
                  > in his family to get through high school, and that I made it to grad
                  > school at all is beating some pretty steep odds. While it’s best to
                  > succeed at the top, failing at the top is still preferable to never
                  > having made it there at all. Good or bad, I’m fortunate to have the
                  > opportunity to be there.
                  >

                  > I’ve been working on an outline of the paper already – I wrote it in
                  > April, so I find I’m able to look at it “from the outside”, as I
                  > wouldn’t have been able to do back in the spring. When I lecture
                  > classes on political communication or careers in communication, I use
                  > outline handouts with my contact information and they seem pretty effective.
                  >

                  > The paper is on managerial values and democratic communication in the
                  > workplace. Since I spent three years as a headhunter/recruiter, and
                  > several years in management, I have some personal experiences with the
                  > good, bad, and ugly. I have a pretty strong interest in Stanley Deetz’
                  > assessments of how organizations control communication to their
                  > advantage. So I start out with something that I’m personally interested
                  > in and can talk about from my “professional” perspective.
                  >

                  > My biggest concern was that I’d have one sort of presentation in mind
                  > and the academic world would expect another. It sounds like I’m not
                  > that far out-of-sync after all.
                  >

                  > What about doing some Q&A or just asking the audience for a show of
                  > hands to start out the presentation? Just a couple of general
                  > background questions to get a feel for the audience and see how well
                  > they may personally identify with the subject. I find that helps with
                  > my classes – would it be appropriate there?
                  >

                  > For the record, it’s the annual conference of the Carolinas
                  > Communication Association.
                  >

                  > - earl

                • Earl Capps
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005

                    I wanted to thank everyone for their input towards my presentation.

                    For those who may be curious at how it went - the Carolinas Communication Association awarded me their 2005 Mary Jarrard Award for best Graduate paper.  The award looks nice on my wall, and the check was a nice plus as well!

                    Everyone have a great weekend!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
                      Congratulations!

                      Ann Rosenthal

                      > I wanted to thank everyone for their input towards my presentation.
                      >
                      > For those who may be curious at how it went - the Carolinas
                      > Communication Association awarded me their 2005 Mary Jarrard Award for
                      > best Graduate paper. The award looks nice on my wall, and the check was
                      > a nice plus as well!
                      >
                      > Everyone have a great weekend!

                    • Lori Widmer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
                        Way to go, Earl!

                        Lori Widmer
                        Publisher
                        Risk Factor
                        Valley Forge, PA

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005

                          Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          Heather Zak

                          From: "Earl Capps" <earlcapps@...>
                          To: <americancomm@yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:39:59 -0400

                          I wanted to thank everyone for their input towards my presentation.

                          For those who may be curious at how it went - the Carolinas Communication Association awarded me their 2005 Mary Jarrard Award for best Graduate paper.  The award looks nice on my wall, and the check was a nice plus as well!

                          Everyone have a great weekend!

                          Yes! Treat this as you would any presentation. Prepare, talk, and shut up.

                          Prepare: Read through your paper and select the main points and some of
                          the most powerful evidence you have to support them. If it is an empirical
                          study, set up the rationale, describe SOME of earlier findings, describe
                          the study, report the results, and then summarize with your conclusions.

                          Present: Talk from a highlighted copy of your paper if you don't feel
                          comfortable talking from an outline. DON'T be tempted to read huge blocks
                          of  text to us. DON'T READ TO THE AUDIENCE AT ALL!

                          Shut up: Respect other presenters' right to be heard. Use only the amount
                          of time allotted to you.

                          Have some copies on 3.5 inch floppies or cheap CDs if you can swing that.
                          Save the environment; don't print copies unless the conference requests
                          it. Some associations make papers available online; post yours there if
                          possible. Offer to e-mail copies and collect cards to do so. Good social
                          networking.

                          Congratulations and good luck!

                          Respectfully,

                          Ann Rosenthal, Ph.D.
                          Chair, Department of Communication
                          Baker University
                          Baldwin City, KS 66006

                          >     HELP!
                          >
                          >  I'm presenting my first paper in a couple of weeks.  Does anyone have
                          >  any suggestions, advice, or recommendations on what to do?
                          >
                          >  This will be the first conference I've ever attended, and as luck
                          >  would have it, my paper on managerial values and corporate democracy
                          >  was accepted for presentation.  While I'm flattered to have the
                          >  opportunit
                          y to present it, I haven't the foggiest notion of what to
                          >  do, or how to do it.
                          >
                          >  Can anyone help me with this?

                          >    School education in california
                          >      High school education
                          > Middle school education
                          >                          Home school education
                          >                   Graduate school education
                          >                Secondary school education
                          >          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >      Visit your group "americancomm" on the web.
                          >      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                          >      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                          Graduate school educationNew york school educationMiddle school education
                          Home school educationSchool education in californiaHigh school education

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          Powerful parental controls improve your peace of mind with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*